PDA

View Full Version : A Forward Weighted Cue ...

tateuts
06-17-2003, 04:24 PM
I have a couple of questions for the payers and cue makers here:

1. What is the definition of a "forward" weighted cue. Is it clearly defined, or is the balance point just "more forward" than standard, and what is standard?

2. Do you like the feel of forward weighted cues?

3. Is there an advantage to playing with a cue that's forward weighted?

Personally, they feel heavy to me when I'm stroking and I don't care for that.

Chris

Stan Shuffett
06-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Check out Jimmy Reid's web site (freepoollessons.com) and click on "cues 4 you"... You'll get some info on cue length and forwarded weighted cues.

Stan

tateuts
06-17-2003, 08:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stan Shuffett:</font><hr> Check out Jimmy Reid's web site (freepoollessons.com) and click on "cues 4 you"... You'll get some info on cue length and forwarded weighted cues.

Stan <hr /></blockquote>

Stan,

That was very interesting - good info on the length of cue needed. I used to watch him wheh they called him "hippie".

Thanks,

Chris

06-17-2003, 08:42 PM
this is a fallacy, the older cues, the rambos, the Hoppes, were billiard cues sold to the pool world, they were butt heavy. then along came this forward balance thing, trying to reverse this problem, straight pool players then tended to hold the cue very far forward on the wrap.
If you have a really fine cue, made correctly, you wont feel the weight, that is one of my tests. It can be a 20oz cue and feel like 18 oz, you wont feel any weight forward or backward, because you have a cue with perfect balance and that is what I look for.
The Ice Mon

#### leonard
06-18-2003, 07:35 AM
I played with one forward weighted cue made by Palmer Cues it can be seen on Billiardcue.com. The first Palmer listed. The Ebony was reversed which put the weight forward, once the cue was started it was going forward.####

SecaucusFats
06-18-2003, 08:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> I have a couple of questions for the payers and cue makers here:

1. What is the definition of a "forward" weighted cue. Is it clearly defined, or is the balance point just "more forward" than standard, and what is standard?

The usual is 18" from the end of the butt. As the distance increases the cue becomes progressively more "forward balanced".

2. Do you like the feel of forward weighted cues?

My cue is forward balanced,(balance point of 19") and I very much like the way the cue performs. Problems can surface if a cue is too far forward balanced, or when a cue is too rear balanced (butt heavy). A very good indicator of good balance is when a cue feels lighter than it actually is.

3. Is there an advantage to playing with a cue that's forward weighted?

Only if that's what feels best to you. Many excellent players prefer a neutral balance and some prefer a rear balance.

Personally, they feel heavy to me when I'm stroking and I don't care for that.

Haven't noticed that with my cue at all. How far forward is your balance point and what kind of taper and shaft diameter are you using?

Fats

tateuts
06-19-2003, 02:28 PM
Fats,

Thanks - a great answer to my post by the way. The info was very helpful.

My playing cue has a nice neutral balance. Like you said, it feels light in my hands when I'm stroking.

I was trying to figure out why a couple of cues I have feel "heavy" when I stroke them. So I took two nearly identical cues, same maker, same dimensions and weight, both ebony forearms. One felt heavy and one felt light. The only difference was the balance point. When the cues were assembled, the heavy feeling one had a balance point a full 2" forward of the lighter feeling cue.

This particular cue doesn't have a weight bolt. I suppose a cue maker can bore out the handle a little more and add lead or a steel weight bolt to the butt to correct the balance.

Chris