PDA

View Full Version : help on buying a cue

traveler
06-17-2003, 05:56 PM
hi, dear all,

I am wondering if anyone would like to give me some advice on buying a cue. I know this kind of questions must have been asked for many times, hope you all don't mind sharing some info again.

I am a newbie in this game, barely made into second or third round in local bar tournaments. I am thinking to buy a cue which may improve my game a bit.

My plan was to buy a cheap sneeky pete with less than $50 that feels like a house cue. I think I probably need to play with cheep cues for sometime to improve my skill before I invest too much in a cue that someone of my level of skill can't appreciate. I used to own a graphite cue, which did not help my game at all, then I turned to one-piece house cues. I found some of them were pretty nice for my level of skill.

My friend ( who is a A player) told me that it would probably waste much of my time if I started to play with cheap cues and better to start with something in $100-200 range. With that much of money, I find Meucci 97-1 and Lucaci sneaky pete are pretty appealing.

So, allow me sum my questions for you,

1) Is it a bad thing to learn the game starting with some cheap cues? How many cues you have been used before you settled with your current cues?

2) Are Meucci 97-M1 and Lucaci sneaky pete good choices for $100-200? What is your suggestion for a cue of sneaky-pete style for this money?

thanks for your time

enjoyed reading posts in this site

travler /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JPB
06-17-2003, 06:06 PM
I would stay away from Meucci while you are learning. Some people like them, but IMO they are unacceptably flexible. Play with something more standard and make sure you have a good tip. Someday you may find you like Meuccis, but you should be leery of them as a new player. A lot of people here recommend Dufferin sneaky petes. They are a good quality stick for less than 100. It will be solid and predictable. A lucasi is probably good. I have one and like it although it is not a sneaky pete. I have not hit their sneaky pete. Buy something solid, straight and cheap for now. Particularly if you are playing in bars as a new cue owner, the thing is going to get dinged up. As you go along you will find what you like and what you don't. You will buy and sell a lot of cues and waste money. We all do it and it's fun.

tateuts
06-17-2003, 09:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote traveler:</font><hr>

1) Is it a bad thing to learn the game starting with some cheap cues? How many cues you have been used before you settled with your current cues?

2) Are Meucci 97-M1 and Lucaci sneaky pete good choices for $100-200? What is your suggestion for a cue of sneaky-pete style for this money?

thanks for your time

enjoyed reading posts in this site

travler /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Hi there. We all learned with cheap cues. My first one was a $20 Imperial with a nice lime green nylon wrap. The good news was I could get as many money games as I wanted with that stick!

I would probably consider a Dufferin sneaky pete for about $50 - $75. The cheaper ones you see don't play as well. The "Ontario" sneaky pete's aren't Dufferins and aren't from "Ontario", Canada.

If you have the extra funds, the Meucci is definitely a superior sneaky pete.

Also worthy of consideration are McDermott and Viking plain jane cues on E-Bay, about $100. Think of if you want a linen wrap or not. Weight is important and 19 ounces is pretty safe. 12.5 - 13.25 mm shafts are good sizes, and the cue should be 57" to 58" to start unless you're really short or tall.

If you know your going to stick with it, I've seen the plain new Joss cues on E-Bay for $150 - a real bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Have fun!

Chris

hadenball
06-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Traveler,

If there is any way you can swing it spend the extra now for a decent cue. First before you go out and buy one check out some of the cues people on your leagues play with, at the ph if you know someone who will let you hit some with their cue. That is how I decided to buy my first real cue was a schon and you can't go wrong with a schon IMO. I think it's up to you what you like and shoot good with, the dufferin sneaky petes sound like a good deal also. The Lucasi's I've used all played good and solid. I would stay in the 100.00 to 200.00 range and try to get at least a 13mm shaft. Good luck, haden

bluewolf
06-18-2003, 05:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote traveler:</font><hr> hi, dear all,

My friend ( who is a A player) told me that it would probably waste much of my time if I started to play with cheap cues and better to start with something in $100-200 range. With that much of money, I find Meucci 97-1 and Lucaci sneaky pete are pretty appealing.

<hr /></blockquote>

Lucasi .

bw

cheesemouse
06-18-2003, 05:45 AM
traveler,

In addition to the good advice already given check in at any pawnshops in your area. You have to have some idea what consitutes a descent cue but I have found numerous cues worth hundreds of dollars for only $40&gt;60, after the bargaining, at these establishments......JAT

Icon of Sin
06-18-2003, 06:13 AM
I shot with a Players Tourney Cue before I got my Balabushka GB1. I still use the players cue as a breaker now. It was a great first cue, only about 100 when I got it. But if your willing to spend up to 200 bucks, which I wasnt for my first cue, I would go with the Lucasi sneaky Pete, a friend of mine bought it as his first cue and he loves it, it hits great too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooltchr
06-18-2003, 06:32 AM
I have to cast my vote for the Lucasi as well. They have several models in the 100-200 range. It's a good quality cue with a solid hit.

Kato
06-18-2003, 07:25 AM
I always liked the Mali. All the ones I've hit with have been monsters.

I settled into my Helmstetter 97-10 8 years ago before going through a Predator phase. My new Omen Custom is 6 weeks away.

Kato

BrakenRun
06-18-2003, 07:28 AM
I agree with tateuts. I started 20 years ago with a $80 Adams. Went to Meucci, Lucasi and then landed on Joss. I have been using a Joss now for about 5 years. I think there sneaky petes are a really good hitting cue. You can get some really good deals on Joss sneaky petes on EBay. I have seen them usually go for $100 to $150. Great cue for the money. They are a very solid hitting cue that are very durable as well. Brakenrun

Ralph S.
06-18-2003, 07:33 AM
There are many good quality cues in the 100-200 dollar range. Almost an endless list really. I suggest going to a local billiard store or pro shop and checking some out. Make sure it feels good to you. That is most important. Looks are secondary and that is where the big money comes into play with virtually all cues.

Some brands worth looking at:
Genuine line from McDermott
Lucassi
Dufferin
Players

Irish
06-18-2003, 11:07 AM
The Joss sneaky pete is an awesome hitting cue for a good price. It is the only Joss I know of without the steel joint (which is one of the main reasons it hits far better then the other more expensive Joss). Problem is I tried to find a Joss Hustler but came up dry. They now have a cue called Zorro that seems similar to the old Joss Hustlers (from the pics anyways) but the cue is $240~ unlike the Hustlers that were $100-150. If you could find a Joss hustler I would buy it.

Whatever cue you buy dont get a metal joint, if you do you will regret it.

JPB
06-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Whatever cue you buy dont get a metal joint, if you do you will regret it. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't think this is good advice. A lot of people like metal joints. On a standard pool joint I think the ss uni-lock is great. And would you have him pass on a Josswest or Richard Black assuming one could be had for 100? Uh, no. A lot of cues, plastic joint or stainless or sneaky pete type will work for him.

dooziexx
06-18-2003, 11:50 AM
HI Traveler,
As someone posted above, everyone started out with cheap cues. I actually started with a warped Mcdermott d6. But now I shoot with custom cues only.

There are lots of cues you can get from $100-$200 range and it does not have to be sneaky petes. Cuetec, Viking, Falcon, Joss, Players, Meucci all have cues within that range. The meucci M1 sneaky pete is a pretty solid cue. Ive also shot with a cuetec sneaky pete before and its a good cue for the beginners. The main thing about buying a starter cue is to have a cue so that you can consistently use the same cue during practice and games. I dont think you are at that stage yet where you know what kind of hit/feel you like on your cue. Once you reach that stage, then its time to move to something else.

Hope that helps. Also check your pm. I emailed you some more info on cues. If not, email me at dooziexx@yahoo.com.

Kato
06-18-2003, 01:51 PM
I absolutely agree as far as the money goes and the list of cues you can buy in that range. But if it was my $100-$200 and I had to do it all over I'd shoot a Mali. Others opinions certainly would vary. I never liked Meucci or McD but others swear by 'em. My Helmstetters are both very nice hitting cues.

Lucasi might be the most asthetically pleasing cue in the lower price ranges however. You can usually find tons of 'em on e-bay.

Kato

traveler
06-18-2003, 04:12 PM
hi, Dear all,

I dearly appreciate the replys from y'all! Feeling enlightened quite a bit, I will probably start from a less expensive sneaky pete for now, and will spend sometime surfing for it.

thanks again

Traveler /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

traveler
06-18-2003, 06:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Irish:</font><hr> Problem is I tried to find a Joss Hustler but came up dry. They now have a cue called Zorro that seems similar to the old Joss Hustlers (from the pics anyways) but the cue is $240~ unlike the Hustlers that were $100-150. If you could find a Joss hustler I would buy it.

Whatever cue you buy dont get a metal joint, if you do you will regret it. <hr /></blockquote>

I came across this on ebay, check it out if you like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3612387474&amp;category=12 92

cheers

traveler

teen1216
06-18-2003, 08:43 PM
I have a Dufferin Sneaky Pete which I feel hits great. Plus, it was only around 70 bucks.

06-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Traveler,
I wanted to ad my two-cents on your query about buying a cue.

1) Is it a bad thing to learn the game starting with some cheap cues?
For those with sincere interest - yes. It depends on your
interest which in most cases is driven by your skill and ability (Talent). We all migrate to that we do good.

No Cue will make or brake your your talent, it will in time
become comfortable in your hand and therefor eleminta yet another technical element of your progress and thats the real purpose of a personal Cue. Othewise its a matter of personal taste and (ego).

How many cues you have been used before you settled with your current cues?

I am at best, one cut above the average serious player. I have a Black Boar valued in excess of $5000+. I purchased this Cue for significantly less 4 years ago and it has increased in value since. Black Boar and Richard Black Cues are the only Cues I know of that traditionally increase in value. My point is - its really a personal choise and depends on what you want to spend.

Falcone, Meucci and MacDermit all make great cues, but they are mass produced and subject to inperfections to that end.
Sneaky Pets are great, as shown by the acceptance by serious players, just be aware you can loose it easy - as others do not realize ur Cue is a private cue and will assume its a house cue.

Have fun

Buckshot /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
06-23-2003, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buckshot4900:</font><hr> Black Boar and Richard Black Cues are the only Cues I know of that traditionally increase in value. <hr /></blockquote>
I think you need to add a dozen or more names to your list.

Fred

Cueless Joey
06-23-2003, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote buckshot4900:</font><hr> Black Boar and Richard Black Cues are the only Cues I know of that traditionally increase in value. <hr /></blockquote>
I think you need to add a dozen or more names to your list.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>
Tad's cues increase in value faster than any alive cuemaker's cue I know.

Rich R.
06-23-2003, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buckshot4900:</font><hr> Black Boar and Richard Black Cues are the only Cues I know of that traditionally increase in value. <hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I think you need to add a dozen or more names to your list. <hr /></blockquote>
A dozen names would be a conservative estimate. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

06-24-2003, 05:06 PM
If you have cash, can wait several weeks and can drive a hard bargain, you can pick up a nice cue in your area pool rooms. Just move around to several and put the word out, they will find you. I have picked up some nice cues because a gambler busts out and is desperate for money to eat or get in another game. You can pick up some high end cues that way. Most of these guys can never hang on to any nice cue for any long period of time. Most of these guys are serious players and they have serious cues.
Good Luck