PDA

View Full Version : Custom Cue Recommendations

Mike H
06-18-2003, 10:25 AM
I've finally decided it's time for a change. I've started checking out and testing some of the better-known custom cuemakers' work. So far, I've played with or tested out Lambros (my current cue), Schick, PFD, Black Boar, Dishaw, Capone, AE, and Ted Harris, among others. There's a few I'm really interested on getting some feedback on, so if anyone out there has played with a Josey, Mottey, Joel Hercek, CK, Mike Bender, BlueGrass (Richard Harris), Southwest, Paul Fanelli, Espiritu, Cognoscenti, Paul Dayton, Phillippi, Samsara, or Scruggs, I'd be really interested to hear your opinions on them. I'm also interested in hearing opinions on the Gulyassy and Arnot break/jump cues. Thanks in advance.

UWPoolGod
06-18-2003, 10:39 AM
In that list I have only hit with a Southwest and a Scruggs. Southwest hits solider than the Scruggs. Just depends on what you like in the hit. We cannot choose for you. I hit with 8 different Cokers at a store in Gresham, OR and there were 3 different hits based on woods used, tips etc. I used to go for look when trying out cues, but it may not necessarily hit the way you like it. Any and all cues can make balls, but it really comes down to how you like the cue to play.

Todd <-- IMHO

Irish
06-18-2003, 10:45 AM
Franklin era Southwest I hit with was damn nice. Very solid hit.

Cognoscenti are one of the sweetest hitting/looking cues out there. A awesome match of form and function. You pay large for it though.

I will put in my 2 cents on a cue maker you did not list and likely do not know. Bernie Mikkelsen is making the sweetest hitting cue I have ever shot with, and I have hit with alot of nice custom cues. Lyonspride@shaw.ca if ya want his contact info to see what he is about.

dooziexx
06-18-2003, 12:07 PM
I currently own 3 benders, 2 scruggs and a arnot break cue. The benders plays stiffer than the scruggs although both of them are sweet hitting cues. Personally I like the bender a little more than the scruggs. I imagine southwest cues would hit similar to a bender since both cuemakers were trained by Kersenbrock.

The arnot break cue that I have was one that arnot made to my specs. Its a solid piece of rosewood with no wrap and it came with arnot's t3 laminated shaft. But the shaft is tapered slightly different. Arnot calls it the 'break taper'. The cue breaks very well once you learn how to break properly. It has a hard water buffalo tip which is somewaht flat to minimize english on the break. In my opinion, its an excellent break cue. I paid about $325 for it and it took about 4 weeks to get it.

Hope that helps. Btw, Im selling some of my cues. Email me at dooziexx@yahoo.com if interested.

miko
06-18-2003, 09:43 PM
I have hit with a Paul Dayton and I must say I loved the way it played. I loved the feeback from the buffalo horn joint. I have ordered 1 already and expecting it to arrive next week.

Mike H
06-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Thanks Irish, I'll check out Bernie. For some reason, the name sounds familiar....I think I've heard positive things about his work in the past.

nAz
06-19-2003, 12:42 AM
Hey Dooziexx I'd love to see a pic of those Benders, Post some.
my friend had one made last years and it does hit sweet. he ordered it with a 314 shaft. i wonder how they play with Mike Bender's stock shaft.

dddd
06-19-2003, 02:29 AM
i play with phillippi
richard and his son make them, two man shop.
you can call and one of them will usually answer.
richard does the fine work and his son other tasks, although i am sure he has made some by this time. they have been working together for years.

i have played with one for some 10 to 15 years, time exactly when i got my first is foggy. i was playing with a jw some before that and that was 20 years more or less.
any way back to the cues. he has a good eye and touch with the material, the cues look good and are well made, finishes, material, and playability is very good ( of course i would have said that i play with one). these cues have never given me any problems and have lasted very well, and i forsee many more years of playability possibility for the rest of my playing career, however long that may be. i am on the downward side of the hill.
he will make it with anything and from anything from what i have seen, and i have seen quite a large number of his. they are very popular around here.
also if you have problems breakage or some other unforunate thing happen your fault or not he will promptly repair and charge or not depending on what the cause was.
he also makes shafts, repair, and rebuilds other cues, etc..
as most cuemakers do.

to get one is amazing prompt
richard is in maryland and i dont have the number on me at this time email me if you desire to speak with hime.

richard is richard, he makes what he thinks cues should be and most times they are.
again mine is responsive and give me a great feel and leaves me happy when i play with it.

dennis