PDA

View Full Version : Mororsport. Winston Cup out, Nextel in?

nAz
06-18-2003, 11:41 AM
NASCAR talking with Nextel

Nextel, a Virginia-based provider of wireless communication services, is negotiating to become the title sponsor of NASCAR's premier series, now known as Winston Cup.

Several sources confirmed the negotiations to The Observer on Wednesday, but also cautioned that major issues must be worked out before Nextel would take over the sponsorship deal R.J. Reynolds Tobacco has had since 1972.

One source said the deal could be worth $90 million annually, including about $40 million for television advertising and other media buys. Two other sources, however, said those numbers were too high. RJR is estimated to pay $40 million annually, and is strictly limited by law in its advertising.

Jim Hunter, NASCAR vice president for corporate communications, said it would be accurate to say the search for a replacement for RJR has moved to negotiations with companies that have expressed interest. Hunter would not say whether Nextel was one of those companies.

Word of talks with Nextel, though, has reached teams in the sport that might have conflicting sponsorship issues.

"NASCAR has not spoken to us directly about it, but I think they know that we know," said Don Miller, president of Penske Racing South, for which Alltel sponsors Ryan Newman's No. 12 Dodges. "I don't think the deal is 100 percent complete but it's definitely in final negotiations."

NASCAR chairman Bill France Jr. disputed that assessment, telling the Associated Press "it is fundamentally premature to say we are in final negotiations with anyone," and that discussions are still going on with four or five companies.

A Nextel spokeswoman said the company, which is based in Reston, near Washington, is approached every day for sponsorship requests. "As a matter of policy, we don't discuss these types of requests unless the relationship is consummated," said Laura Fleishmann, team assistant for corporate communications.

Ned Leary, president of Sports Marketing Enterprises, the marketing arm of RJR, referred all inquiries about a possible new sponsor to NASCAR. RJR last year signed a five-year extension of its contract to sponsor stock-car racing's top series. In February, RJR officials confirmed that, because of uncertainty in the tobacco industry, they had told NASCAR it should find a new title sponsor for the series if it could.

Negotiations over issues such as conflicting sponsorships are among the potential stumbling blocks for a deal with Nextel, sources said, and extend to each track. Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord, for example, has sponsorship and sign deals with CT Communications and Alltel.

Megan Englehart, a spokeswoman for Richard Childress Racing, said that team had talked with Cingular Wireless, which sponsors its No. 31 Chevrolets driven by Robby Gordon, about the possibility of a rival telecommunications company becoming the series sponsor.

A source told The Observer sponsors such as Alltel and Cingular likely would be grandfathered into a deal with Nextel, meaning they could remain in the sport but that no new competing deals would be allowed. If such a sponsor currently in the sport left for any reason it would not be allowed back in.

Another issue could be defining the category in which Nextel might be offered exclusivity. Since it offers wireless Internet services, would RCR's sponsorship with America Online be considered a conflict?

"We would be happy to win the Nextel Cup in our Alltel car," Miller joked. "Really, there aren't a lot of problems with the deal as far as the sponsors go. I look at it as if you had a Coors Light car running in the Busch Series."

Qtec
06-18-2003, 05:42 PM
You misspelled Mororsport . That should read Moronsport.

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UWPoolGod
06-18-2003, 05:49 PM
Man Q, beat me to the punch on that one.

Can't you just hear the Van Halen blarin' out of the speakers at the raceway..."ROUND AND ROUND...What Comes Around Goes Around, Now Tell Me WHY-E-I-E-III!!!'

Candyman
06-18-2003, 08:16 PM
We might be morons, but you won't find any of the good ole boys wearing dresses "Scottie". /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Qtec
06-18-2003, 08:42 PM
O, NO ???
I,ve seen TOOTSIE !

Q. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
06-18-2003, 08:47 PM
Round and round till somebody crashes ! Some 'sport'.

Q

Candyman
06-18-2003, 09:26 PM
You are correct. Why would a mother name a son Robin anyway? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Candyman
06-18-2003, 09:51 PM
PoolGod, you should like something fast paced, like NASCAR, after watching paint dry all week. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nAz
06-19-2003, 12:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> You misspelled Mororsport . That should read Moronsport.

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Ya i noticed it earlier but i was and still am too lazy to change it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What you mean Moron sprot? you calling me and others that watch Race sports morons? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-19-2003, 06:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>

...What you mean Moron sprot? you calling me and others that watch Race sports morons? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Qtec thinks all Americans are morons. Jealousy is such an ugly emotion /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally~~would rather watch fast cars then baseball these days

Kato
06-19-2003, 06:57 AM
That's Ratt not Van Halen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~just thought I'd help.

nAz
06-19-2003, 07:05 AM
hehe I was thinking the same thing VH never did that song, but i could not figure out who it was Ratt. BTW i hate that song /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kato
06-19-2003, 07:35 AM
But you like Iron Butterfly? Brutal.

Kato~~~has seen Ratt in concert 4 times.

nAz
06-19-2003, 07:40 AM
hehe I like some Ratt like "What You Give Is What You Get"

Qtec
06-19-2003, 08:03 AM
Just to show that I,m really a good guy , I,m going to to give you one of my secret Q TIPS.

<pre><font class="small">code:</font><hr> If some guy is crowding you on your shot ,you should stand up , look him in the eye and say ,"Take a step back , man ,you`re standing on my dick !!</pre><hr>

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
06-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Good song.

Kato

UWPoolGod
06-19-2003, 09:09 AM
It all in my bid...the slower the better...more money out of the client...

...nah hose it on and let it run baby.