PDA

View Full Version : I admit it: I Sand My Shaft

tateuts
06-18-2003, 02:02 PM
I am tired of these anal types who have blue-green, grungy, sticky shafts and brag that they never sand their shafts. Every few months, I get an alhohol wipe and rub down the shaft and let it dry. This raises the grain. I take a few swipes of 600, followed by 1000, 1500, then rub it until it's warm with a dry paper towel.

My shaft is now clean, pretty, and smooth. I figure in 50 years I will lose .25 mm but I probably won't care by then.

Chris

Kato
06-18-2003, 02:04 PM
I don't. My shafts however are cleaned when a new tip is put on.

Kato~~~doesnt' necessarily begrudge you for sanding your shafts as you own them and can do as you wish.

Rod
06-18-2003, 02:40 PM
Hold on there, anal types? It's just a matter of what is comfortable for each individual. My shafts has green/blue color in the grain but they are anything but grungy and sticky. I wipe mine down once in a while with a very light amount of denatured alcohol and buff with leather or the back side of 600 to 1500 grit. I also just use a plain towel. I have been known to use, maybe 2 times a year, 1000 and better if I had to remove a couple of dings. My hands are very dry and I don't need that fresh wood slickness. It's smooth and slides just fine with what little hand oils that seal the shaft. If you or anyone else must have that feeling, fine go ahead it's your equipment. I will say your off on how much/long it takes to reduce shaft size with something as coarse as 600. If you do this often it will get very small. Not to mention if it's not sanded even the taper gets uneven. But like I said go ahead it's yours, go ahead. Just don't tell me I'm anal for taking care of my shafts in a way I see fit for me. Two of my shafts are custom taper, stiff and I aim to keep them that way. Tell the same to billiard players with their stiff double tapers and see what they have to say. To each their own.

Rod

tateuts
06-18-2003, 03:26 PM
Rod,

Nothing personal, sorry.

Since you do use sandpaper if you have to, your're not in the "anal-type" category. I'm actually just a layman in the freudian terms so you have to forgive me if that description struck a harsh chord.

What I meant was, there are some folks out there who think using sandpaper on a shaft at all is a cardinal sin.

What you and I are doing is actually very similar.

The main thing is to raise the dings and not try to sand through them. I raise dings with water before sanding. A few swipes of 600, lightly held, cuts through the raised grain after cleaning with alcohol. If you just use 1000 the fine dust clogs the pores on raised grain. The paper towel burnishes the shaft much the same as leather does.

What a lot of players don't see is when they drop their shaft off to get retipped, the guy is sanding the ferrule with 150 to get the edges flush, then follows it up with 220, 400, and 600 on the whole shaft.

That's what ruins a shaft!

Chris

Rod
06-18-2003, 03:40 PM
No problem,
We differ in the fact that 600 has never touched my shafts unless it was the back side for a burnish. Your right about some of the cue guys. Some say do you want your shaft cleaned. LOL Then you see the wood fly. I had that happen once years ago and I wanted to kill the guy. People should be aware of personal traits of some cue guys. A few cleanings a year and they could end up with a snooker shaft.

Rod

06-18-2003, 03:56 PM
All of the above advice is pretty strong. Beware of 600, I wiped out a shaft for a classic cue using 600, turned it into a pencil and had to toss it, thank goodness I bought two shafts at the time and the other one I never used. Dont sand off wood, unless it is absolutely necessary, there are other ways to clean the shaft with out removing wood.
The Ice Mon