PDA

View Full Version : Doilies

Rod
06-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Did you ever try to sell doilies? LOL I have 20 for sale on Ebay. Man it's hard to give doilies away. When I think of all the time my granny spent making those things, it wouldn't amount to a nickel an hour. I'm selling more stuff, maybe my old Palmer soon but everyone has doilies. LOL

~~~ rod bummed at the price of doilies /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Karatemom
06-18-2003, 08:05 PM
Well, now you've done it. I'll have a permanent grin on my face everytime I picture you selling doilies! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!

Heide ~ made a few doilies herself, but gave them away

highsea
06-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Maybe you're not marketing them right...here's a few suggestions.

Try raising the starting price to something really exorbitant.

Have one or 2 listed with *really high* reserve prices, like $10,000. Set up a few dummy accounts and bid these way up, but make the auction "private" so people think they are being fought over by wealthy collectors. Be careful not to exceed your reserve price!

Don't just call them doilies. Call them "American Folk Art Doilies".

Include a certified letter of authenticity with every doilie.

Make it clear that your granny is getting old, and only makes 10 or 12 doilies a year. This will help to stimulate the demand.

Start a Doilie Collector's Association and feature your Grannie's doilies prominently on the website. Have a gallery of some that are clearly marked "Not for Sale". Include this URL in your auction listing.

Create a "Blue Book of Doilies", and put your grannies doilies in it. You can sell this book seperately. Also reference the page number of the doilies in your auctions, as in, "This doilie is featured on page 47 of the Blue Book of Doilies".

If you do all these things, you should have doilie collectors begging for your grannie's doilies in no time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HTH /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
-CM

nAz
06-19-2003, 12:23 AM
Rod got any with a pool theme?

Rod
06-19-2003, 05:54 AM
This doilie deal is a tough nut to crack. Blue book of doilies, LOL hey you mean blue books of doilies. They would dwarf any pool books! Yes granny is quite old, production stopped in 72 when she died. I'm getting out of doilies fast, these women are brutal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-19-2003, 06:37 AM
I would say just keep them but then that would make you gay /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

How's the market for chiffarobes?

Remember in "To Kill a Mockingbird" that gal says "boy i'll give you a nickel ta bust up this chiffarobe"

Wally~~rambling mindlessly.

Qtec
06-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Burn them all except one ! ????????

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nAz
06-19-2003, 07:14 AM
Ok why not keep them and pass em on to your kids, stick them with it.

Or you can always donate them to the CCB tourney as a prize /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara
06-19-2003, 10:32 AM
Well, you made me look! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did a search on "doilies" and there's 1081 auctions going on for doilies.

Who would've thunk it?

Barbara

SPetty
06-19-2003, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> I did a search on "doilies" and there's 1081 auctions going on for doilies.<hr /></blockquote>hahahaha - made me look... If you search for "doily", there's an additional 1049 listings!!!! There's 2026 if you search title and description!

highsea
06-19-2003, 11:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> I did a search on "doilies" and there's 1081 auctions going on for doilies.<hr /></blockquote>hahahaha - made me look... If you search for "doily", there's an additional 1049 listings!!!! There's 2026 if you search title and description! <hr /></blockquote>

haha made me look too. The highest price paid for a single doilie was $125.00

-CM

Rod
06-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Barbara, SPetty,
You can see I'm in a tough market. LOL I'm asking $4.95 for all of mine and thare ain't no bids yet.

~~~ rod, didn't need to hear more bad news.

Rod
06-19-2003, 05:45 PM
OK here is the deal on the doilies. Just this afternoon I got my opening bid on the doilies. Woo-Hoo, were in the money, were in the money. LOL Out of over 2000 people selling doilies someone liked mine\ grannys. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I only have one item not selling. The D-Backs inaugural opening night program. Sorry not advertising, well maybe a little since we have baseball fans. LOL

Rod

Fran Crimi
06-19-2003, 06:15 PM
Hahahahahahahahahaha! I'm laughing my fool head off here. You're killing me, Rod.

Fran

Rod
06-19-2003, 10:47 PM
Not so fast Fran,
I thought I had an opening bid. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif As it turns out I just got a new pair of progressive glasses this afternoon. The kind you can crumble up and they come right back into shape. It also turns out I can't see didley, I mistook a 1 on the right side as a bid. I also did not notice the color had to change on the price from red to green. I still don't have a bid on my\grannys darn doilies.

~~rod, will not list doilies again, the market is too tough! LOL

Rod
06-19-2003, 11:55 PM
Wait, hold the phone, I've got a live one. Someone just bid on my doilies. LOL Hmm who could that be -----