PDA

View Full Version : its hard for kids to find games/action/tables

snook
06-18-2003, 09:25 PM
i'm 16, live in a small town, and am probably in the top 20 players in my town. around here, theres no "pros" but EVERYBODY plays pool and theres still no hall, their used to be one but the guy died and they closed her. i play at the legion alot but their table is horrid. i have a snooker table but i cant find new people to play in my basement(i hope not anyway) so i normally drive half an hour north/south to a pool hall. i did tonight find out that the local moose lodge will let me play there, i spent a few hours in there with their free pool night. but my question is...well there is no real question. i just felt like telling everybody how crappy my town is for pool games and action.

sorry for wastin bandwidth, but i felt like it

UTAddb
06-18-2003, 10:38 PM
I'm in the same situation! There's now only one place in the entire Austin area I can play--35 minutes away. Plus it's almost impossible to get in a league if you're under 21. It sucks!

gnef
06-18-2003, 11:28 PM
There are quite a few places in austin to play pool. bum's billiards, slick willies, dave and busters, texas union, and a few others, i believe.

-Mel

snook
06-19-2003, 06:01 AM
we dont have any leagues, we dont have any tournaments. its dry here. and thats the same for the two half hour drives i take, nothing going on there either

nAz
06-19-2003, 07:11 AM
Snook Now I finally understand your Tag Line, I feel for you.
Hang in there and keep playing Snooker, its a fine game and will only improve your regular pool game.

UTAddb
06-19-2003, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote gnef:</font><hr> There are quite a few places in austin to play pool. bum's billiards, slick willies, dave and busters, texas union, and a few others, i believe.

-Mel <hr /></blockquote>
I think Bum's and D&amp;B are both 21+ and Slick's is 21+ after 7. The union is about an hour away too. With the recent talk about "promotion of the game" it seems a good place to start is with the youth. The only thing I can see going for the youth is Earl Munson's BETTER play billiards in Rowlett, TX (a high school billiards program). Hopefully this will spread and encourage more young uns'.

Jon from MN
06-19-2003, 11:38 PM
the chief of police in our town discourages pool espessually for minors. They still think drugs and booze play major rolls in the sport. fact is our chief says the only place kids or adults can play are bars and pool halls???? Man im going nuts trying to promote pool in my town. When Im traveling playing or teaching they think Im out there doing drugs or something. then when they see my name in the news paper they say how proud they are. we have a long ways to go friends but keep up the fight its worth the effort Jon from mn

Deeman
06-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Jon,

It's funny, but my folks knew that the pool hall was the safest place for me when I was a kid. Thye knew I'd be hitting balls for 16 hours and not fighting on the streets.

snook
06-20-2003, 05:05 PM
lol, yea, my mom doesnt understand that the legion and moose are the safest place for me at my age.

tateuts
06-20-2003, 09:20 PM
Snook,

Your post brought forth the businessman lurking deep within me.

Maybe you can set up a nice gathering place in your town, "Snook's" with some tables, beer (in the connected bar when you are 21), video games, and a pro shop.

I hear the only real profit is in the beer.

Maybe Fast Larry will perform for all the CCBers at your grand opening.

Chris

PoolChick02
06-20-2003, 10:47 PM
I kind of know how you feel, however my town does have pool halls, only they are mostly 21 and over. I usually accompany my dad when he goes to the pool halls..which is cool since I get free pool and they let my brother and me into the 21 and over pool halls. I grew up around the pool scene so in my town I know lots of people because of my dad. Only sometimes I want to go practice by myself without my dad, and just with my brother or friends, so that's where the problem comes in because we are under 21. There are the options of the younger aged pool halls in my town but lets face it, you really can't practice there because you have kids sitting on the tables, pretty much just standing in the way and they never want to play a serious game. So, that's why my brother and I like going to the regular pool halls where we play against all my dad's friends and all the serious players. I think we get a better experience playing with people of a higher level.

Anyway, I hope that in the near future your town will get a pool hall that's age appropriate for you and also good for pool players.

06-21-2003, 12:44 AM
Snook, let me try and explain how this works, I am living in Nowata Okla and one day a light bulb turns on, I am free to leave and I go damn, I did not know that. I jump in my pickem up truck and drive down to Dallas. They have a mcdonalds and real pool halls with, tables that have green cloth on them. Lots of pretty girls, no more coyotes. they even have a damn foot ball team, with this big hole in the roof so God can look down and cheer his on his own team to victory. The cheerleaders are in the underware and panties. One time we were livin in White plains and gator annie was giving me a hard time, i went out to get a pack of cigaretts and got on 1-95 and did not stop until I hit Key West. I did come back 4 months later with a tan that would shame Juan Valdez. her attitude cleaned up a bit. Son, you are free to leave, there is no chain around your leg, just book it south.
The Ice Mon

Qtec
06-21-2003, 04:06 AM
I feel for you ,snook.When you consider that in all other sports , to reach the top , you have to start early.

Jimmy White. - World Am Champion ..age 16
Ronnie O'sullivan- First 100 break -10yrs
- first 147 - 13yrs
Tiger Woods - starts playing age 4yrs.
Williams sisters [ tennis ]etc etc.

In another 10/20 years pool will be dominated by players from outside America ,if it isnt already , just because kids like you are denied the chance to play . Snooker players in Britain turn pro when they are 18 .If you have to start at 18 you have no chance .

Qtec

snook
06-21-2003, 05:16 AM
gna-i will only repeat that i am sixteen, and that considered, your entire post was useless. no offense. just thought you should put some real thought into it.

i wish i could open up a pool hall but again..i'm sixteen. so who knows.

arn3
06-21-2003, 06:01 AM
play pool as a hobby. don't let it overrun your life.

Ralph S.
06-21-2003, 06:23 AM
Austin is a fairly good size city. Its very hard to believe that they dont have a room in a city that size that will cater to the minority crowd. I feel for ya bud.

Ralph S.
06-21-2003, 06:27 AM
Thats too bad Jon. It sounds like that the cheif has blinders on. If you give the younger crowd something entertaining as well as constructive to do there is less chance of them finding the wrong things to do. Keep up the good effort, with that kind of determination you will succeed in showcasing the game in a positive light.

Qtec
06-21-2003, 06:52 AM
Please, please ,please do not get me mixed up with FL, I mean gna.
Qtec /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
06-21-2003, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Please, please ,please do not get me mixed up with FL, I mean gna.
Qtec /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

BAHAHAHA... too late! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-CM&lt;~~~knows Q is already mixed up

gnef
06-23-2003, 01:08 AM
bum's is 21 and up after seven i believe, but it is pretty cheap before then, on mon-thurs, 1-4pm, it is one dollar per hour per person. from there is it 3.85 per person per hour, i believe. Dave and Busters changed a while ago, you don't have to be 21 and up, but there is a cover charge on weekends after 10 i beleive, you have to buy a 5 dollar power card, or whatever they call it. Slick willies is pretty good. they have decent tables, they are off burnet, close to 183, and i believe that you do not need to be over 21 to play. you may want to try www.austin360.com (http://www.austin360.com) or something, i just listed a few pool halls, i don't know all of them.

-Mel