PDA

View Full Version : Scott Lee lessons

manager
06-18-2003, 11:50 PM
In reply to Scott Lee’s message about being overcharged in our pool hall. There are a few discrepancies about what is being said…..maybe they are misconceptions or maybe they are misunderstandings. Whatever they may be called, I would like to try and straighten out some of these.

First off, Scott Lee has (to my knowledge) been in our pool hall four times - three times for our employees receiving lessons and once for one of my customers to receive a lesson. There was NEVER any discussion beforehand about coming in and giving lessons. There was NEVER any discussion beforehand about the charges for pool time. Granted, when Mr. Lee was last at our pool hall he walked in the door and said “hi – how’s it going?!” and proceeded to the back of the pool room where one of my employees was waiting for him. Because I had only seen Mr. Lee in person twice before, I didn’t realize who he was at the time. He did not stop and visit with me when he came in the door. I may have been remiss in not going back and talking to Mr. Lee as soon as I realized who he was, but I could not leave the counter at the time. When I did go back and talk to Mr. Lee I informed him that the owner had decided that we needed to charge him a 20% charge for table time ($10/per hour). I was not embarrassed about this charge, but I did admit that I didn’t understand completely the reasoning for it. I also told Mr. Lee that I would do some checking into this and let him know what I found out.

Mr. Lee was there for approximately 4 ½ hours and was charged $44 (which includes tax).

The only times that I have talked to Mr. Lee was

1. when I was introduced to him on his first lesson with one of my employees (I had no clue that he was giving lessons until I went up to him – he wasn’t charged pool time because my employees that were working did not know what was going on – they figured since said employee was playing it was free time) and
2. what I believe to be the third visit by Mr. Lee - I went to their table to see if they needed anything to drink or eat and he turned around and said “can I help you?” (maybe I wasn’t supposed to see the lessons) and
3. the last visit by Mr. Lee when I went to him regarding said fees on his last lesson with another of my employees (he congratulated me on my finish in the Nationals).

I do not recall ever talking to him about lessons for either myself or my husband. I do not have any problem with taking lessons from Mr. Lee - I have the utmost respect for individuals that are “savvy” enough to play pool and that assist others in playing pool. I do not think that $50/hour is too much to pay for lessons – I’ve known others that charge $25/hour and don’t videotape said lessons. It is not my place to complain about who charges what amount for lessons – that is their business. Further, I’ve never been one to believe the “he said-she said” that is known to happen and is now happening in this forum. Everyone believes that they know exactly what the other person is thinking (how???). In closing, I would like to apologize for any misunderstanding that has occurred and in the future would like to visit with Mr. Lee regarding any lessons that he may want to give in our establishment – perhaps a group lesson so that some of my customers (not just employees) can take advantage of his knowledge.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-19-2003, 09:10 AM
Thanks for taking the time to present your side of the story. My response to you is with the understanding that you were a third party in this situation and simply doing what the boss said, so please don't interpret it as a slam of any kind directed at you.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote manager:</font><hr>....When I did go back and talk to Mr. Lee I informed him that the owner had decided that we needed to charge him a 20% charge for table time ($10/per hour). I was not embarrassed about this charge, but I did admit that I didn’t understand completely the reasoning for it. I also told Mr. Lee that I would do some checking into this and let him know what I found out.
<hr /></blockquote>

IMO the reason you did not understand the reasoning is because there is no logical reasoning that can be attached to it. That was Scott's original point.

Wally~~guilty of beating a dead horse. Sorry.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Confused?

$10/hour, 4.5 hours = $45 ?

What is the 20% about? and if I recall correctly.. the final bill that was charged was $44 including tax?

Where is the 20%? is that part of the $50/hour for the lessons? Wouldn't the final bill be another $45?

ROFL
06-19-2003, 11:44 AM
I guess I will be the math geek and point out that $10/hr is 20% of $50/hr. I gather that instead of the regular hourly table rate (whatever that is), Scott was charged $10/hr (or 20% of his lessons fee) for his table time.

highsea
06-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Seemingly the 20% number is based on the $50/hr. rate, to come up with $10/hr.

For manager: Thank you for taking time to respond to this thread. It is helpful to have both viewpoints when there is a public discussion of this nature. I would like to ask a couple of follow up questions if you don't mind.

Did you ever check into it and get back to Mr. Lee with the clarification you promised? (I don't want to know the details, just if you followed up or not.)

If I came into the PH and was playing an employee, would I be charged the single player rate for the table, and what is that rate?

Would it have made more sense to charge either the normal single player rate for the 4.5 hours, or 20% of the actual fee Mr. Lee charged for the lesson, rather a fee that doesn't appear to reflect either?

-CM