PDA

View Full Version : What's the history of Calcutta betting?

Rio
06-19-2003, 07:09 AM
Idle curiosity only... Anybody know anything about the origins of Calcutta wagering? Also, how long has Calcutta wagering been common in pool ?

Rio (who never gets more than the minimum bid)

Qtec
06-19-2003, 07:11 AM
Explain C.B please. Q

nAz
06-19-2003, 07:34 AM
Good question, i think Calcutta or auction pools has been around since the 19th century they used it for sports and election results.
First time i ever heard of it was at the track, but i never new why its called Calcutta... maybe it originated in India /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-19-2003, 08:11 AM
I think I saw something somewhere once that said that Calcutta betting started in the late 1700s in India with horseraces. The information is probably out there on the net somewhere...

Wendy<---too lazy to search /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ken
06-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Calcutta:- A betting event where the names of players are "auctioned off" to the highest bidder. The people who purchase the winner and placegetters then receive a percentage of the pool of bidding monies.

This is an illegal activity in most states whereas betting between two players is often perfectly legal. CT law could get all your pool tables confiscated for holding a calcutta. You might be able to get them back but only after suffering great loss of income and attornies fees. Someone would have to dislike you very much and probably have some conections with the authorities to get the police to act, however.
KenCT

Predator314
06-19-2003, 08:38 AM
I hate Calcuttas. They hold up tournaments. I usually just bid on myself. If I see a good deal, I'll put in a bid.

However, I think they should be banned just because of the time it takes to put off a Calcutta. I was at a tourney a few weeks ago with 64 players and it was a 2 hour event just to auction off the people.

Predator314
06-19-2003, 08:44 AM
On a side note, I was at a tourney not too long ago and before they started auctioning off the players, they auctioned off a blind draw. I figured someone would pay a couple of bucks and draw a name out of the hat. The guy putting off the auction took the opening bid at $100. Nobody else put in a bid. I thought the dumbass paid $100 to pick a name out of the hat. He then picked the player he wanted. Of course he picked the strongest player in the tournament (which I beat by the way /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

How is it a "BLIND DRAW" if you get to pick the player?

Qtec
06-19-2003, 08:56 AM
It isnt
Q

Fred Agnir
06-19-2003, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rio:</font><hr> Idle curiosity only... Anybody know anything about the origins of Calcutta wagering? Also, how long has Calcutta wagering been common in pool ?

Rio (who never gets more than the minimum bid) <hr /></blockquote>Probably named after auction betting practices by the British in Calcutta (India).

Fred

Perk
06-23-2003, 12:39 PM
Calcuttas are a pain in the ass as far as time goes, but overall they are good for the pool players. They bring in more players and more money. I realize there is going to be a long time for the auction, but I think pool room owners/auctioneers can help this process by starting it on time, and not letting in ANY new players once it begins. It is far to common for players to show up late to tourneys because they realize they will be able to show up and register.

Around here there are small weekly tourneys with 16 shooters or so that pay out a decent weekly payout due to a calcutta. This makes it interesting for all the players involved.

At a larger tourney, i.e. the Winter 9ball held this March in Jackson, MI had 108 players if I recall, and the calcutta was to start at 2:00, so the tables stopped running for the calcutta to begin. It was almost 4.5 hours later before we started the tourney, and that made alot of people unhappy. (But the payout of the tourney was fairly large for an amatuer event, due to the calcutta).

My vote is choose the ones you want to go to if time is a problem.