PDA

View Full Version : Pre Tournament Mind

03-29-2002, 02:31 PM
This week i'll go to the pool tournament straight from work again, last tournament I did the same thing and had a slow start. Any ideas out there about how best to prepare for a tournament from work. The last one I was up at 5 a.m. and worked 12 hrs. also and I didn't seem to have the killer instinct in the early part of the tournament. Thanks, Terry

cheesemouse
03-29-2002, 04:02 PM
Terry,
This suggestion is stolen from the golf world but it is effective when you are hurried to start without warming up...On the drive to the pool hall use those last five to ten minutes to begin the mental focusing process and in addition start some slow deep breathing and squeeze and release the steering wheel to loosen up your hands. While your at it begin to get real about your expectations for the match to come, where you aren't going to have time for your normal work up, set a couple doable goals like not risking a scratch on the first break, double down on your first shot or take a shot you can't miss even if it's the wrong shot just so you don't start with a miss, and then see if you can force your opponent to make the first mistake of the match. When you get comfortable you will know it and then let out the shaft and take no prisoners. Yahoooooooo let her buck Powder River!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excuse me I got excited there /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
03-29-2002, 04:44 PM
Its very difficult for me to "gear up" for a tournament when I am tired. In fact, I do not play well when I am tired. But, I am 54. You younger players should at least have a little more energy than me after working all day.. I usually play against younger players all the time. All display some type of attitude... One player commented after loosing a match to me. "How come everyone I play runs out if I miss?" I felt like asking him if he realized that all his mistakes come when there are only 3 balls on the table.

Cuemage
03-29-2002, 11:56 PM
Terry, I have had this same problem in the past. Some days I will warm-up on my lunch hour. Other days I try to get there & warm up just b4 the tournament. It's just so damn hard to get in stroke real quick. The worst is to draw an opponent who plays a lot of safeties...agonizing...

The Cuemage

03-30-2002, 11:58 AM
Tom i'm long past the age of young with an attitude, but not yet at the age of losing my eye sight. LOL I still feel fatigue after a 12 hr. shift, I think partly because i'm not an early to bed type and therefore I don't think I get enough sleep prior to my shift. The other draw back to a tournament straight from work is warmups. I always warmup with shots and not games, but since their are only so many tables selected for the tournament someone always wants to play you a couple of games. I'll have to try and at least be more mentally prepared this week. Terry

03-30-2002, 12:15 PM
Terry,
This suggestion is stolen from the golf world but it is effective when you are hurried
to start without warming up...On the drive to the pool hall use those last five to ten
minutes to begin the mental focusing process and in addition start some slow
deep breathing and squeeze and release the steering wheel to loosen up your
hands.

Cheesemouse, I drive heavy equipment at work so I can squeeze and release plenty. I'll have to be careful I don't put pressure on the pedal at the same time as I squeeze the wheel. LOL Oh yeah, just because I drive heavy equipment doesn't mean I have a big belly, well not really big. I still play hockey but the past few years it seems that the start of every new season I was lacing up my skates with my new belly. LOL , Terry

03-30-2002, 03:00 PM
Here is what I do to prepare for a tournament when I'm short on warm up time. When I get to the table I just focus on the rythum and timing of my stroke and listen for the sound of a solid hit on the cueball. Be sure to exhale completely before you pull the trigger. Focusing on these things distracts the mind from worry and concern and allows the subconscious mind to do what you have trained it to do.
I also feel that this ALLOWS you to drop into DEAD STROKE more easily. *HAMMER*