PDA

View Full Version : Finding time/motivation to practice at home

Wally_in_Cincy
06-19-2003, 08:22 AM
My fiancee and I recently purchased a house which just happenens to have an old 8-foot Brunswick in the basement. Ironically I find that I practice very little on this table. Too many distractions. When I get home I have to check the mail, check the voice-mail, check the email, dishes need done, need to start a load of laundry, grass needs mowed, ad nauseum. But at least it's a lot cheaper than going to the pool hall.

Shortly after we moved in we had our city APA tourney and I forced myself to practice at home and even went to the PH a couple times to avoid distractions, but since then, not much practice. I guess it all hinges on motivation. Maybe after summer is over I'll have a bit more time (I like to garden).

Anybody else experience this phenomenon?

Predator314
06-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Hrmm... I find too many distractions outside the home to practice. I go to the Pool Hall and/or Moose to practice and before I know it, I'm drunk, gambling, playing cards, etc. I need a table for a home. I'm saving up for the Diamond Professional.

Qtec
06-19-2003, 08:35 AM
Is this a trick question .??
Q

Wally_in_Cincy
06-19-2003, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Is this a trick question .??
Q <hr /></blockquote>

Qtec,

If you have nothing worthwhile to say, why do your waste your energy typing?

socrates
06-19-2003, 09:12 AM
The answer is in the heading to your post.

Motivation.

We all have the same amount of time.

When you tell someone (or yourself) you do not have time for this, etc. what you are really saying is that that event has not received a high enough priority to have allocated your time to.

It appears to me that other events have been assigned higher priorities than practice at the current time. If those other events are in harmony with achiement of other goals, fine. If not, people normally experince pangs of guilt, etc.

If you are experiencing those pangs of guilt then you might want to spend some time evaluating your priorities and how you are spending your time.

In my experinece what most people find is that they spend their time on on events best described as the "Tyranny of the Urgent."

If they can break this pattern and allocate some time to those events that are important but not urgent they start to accomplish some things that they formally dismissed as not having time for.

IN SUMMARY

TIME - The world's only true currency!!!!
Socrates

"When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities you have a credible claim to inner peace."
Hyrum Smith - Founder of Fraklin Planners.

Best Wishes - Enjoy the Journey.

NBC-BOB
06-19-2003, 09:33 AM
I can only practice for about 30min. most days, then I get bored.Also I think if your going to practice a lot, by yourself, you have to be very disciplined, otherwise you just develop a lot of bad habits.Also I think mixing up your practice games, like 14-1, and 15 ball rotation helps to not get bored and stay motivated.

pooldaddy9
06-19-2003, 09:50 AM
I have sort of the same problem but I have the time and some motivation. I just have trouble trying to shoot by myself. I have to be playing somebody to shoot my best. I don't know why. I bought one of Blackjacks books and started shooting some drills and it seemed to help when I'm by myself. Still not the same as competition. Time to invite some friends over.

bluewolf
06-19-2003, 10:07 AM
I had my pooltable in the basement and well 'out of sight out of mind'. Now it is in our living room. Can't walk past it without jumping on it.

bw

tateuts
06-19-2003, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> My fiancee and I recently purchased a house which just happenens to have an old 8-foot Brunswick in the basement. Ironically I find that I practice very little on this table. Too many distractions. When I get home I have to check the mail, check the voice-mail, check the email, dishes need done, need to start a load of laundry, grass needs mowed, ad nauseum. But at least it's a lot cheaper than going to the pool hall.

Shortly after we moved in we had our city APA tourney and I forced myself to practice at home and even went to the PH a couple times to avoid distractions, but since then, not much practice. I guess it all hinges on motivation. Maybe after summer is over I'll have a bit more time (I like to garden).

Anybody else experience this phenomenon? <hr /></blockquote>

Wally,

Yes, right before I quit playing competitively for 20 years.

1. Raising a family, career, marriage - these all take priority. Sounds like you have other priorities at the moment and you should.

2. Being at home on the table practicing safes is not as thrilling as being in a hill/hill match.

3. When you're practicing at home, you might feel as if you're ignoring your family, especially if you have children, or you're reminded of your responsibilities. It would be like shooting pool in your office with the phone going off the hook.

4. It doesn't offer the "escape from life" of a pool hall.

5. It takes a lot of play and a lot of time to stay in stroke and improve. Most of us don't have that much time and it's frustrating losing because you're not "sharp".

You probably are pretty social and shooting in the basement doesn't cut it.

When we bought the house we have now, I put a priority on a family room large enough for a 9' table, and I was lucky to find one that has a nice view too. Plus it's become a room where the family gathers, so I don't feel like I'm ignoring everyone. It's kind of hard concentrating sometimes, but I'm not going to ignore my family either.

Chris

tateuts
06-19-2003, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Is this a trick question .??
Q <hr /></blockquote>

Qtec,

If you have nothing worthwhile to say, why do your waste your energy typing? <hr /></blockquote>

Wally,

After tulip season is over there's nothing else to do in Holland.

Chris

SPetty
06-19-2003, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote socrates:</font><hr> ...We all have the same amount of time...<hr /></blockquote>HA! Spoken like a man that doesn't spend over three hours a day in big city rush hour traffic!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Can you imagine the things you could get done if you had an extra three hours every day to do them? (I can imagine - spending over three hours a day imprisoned in my automobile in big city rush hour traffic gives me lots of time to imagine things...)

SPetty
06-19-2003, 12:27 PM
Hi Wally,

Make sure to make it an enjoyable experience to go to the trouble to take the stairs down to the basement. Make the basement a place you want to go, not a place you need to go, to play pool. It needs to be comfortable for you. I've never had a basement, so these comments may be stupid, but I've always thought of basements as dark and damp places. My guess is that a dehumidifier would be the first thing to use. Put in plenty of good light and nice decorations or keep your favorite music down there...

Give yourself a reason to go down there every day. Maybe keep a fish bowl with a live fish that you have to feed every day. Put a spare refrigerator down there, and keep your cold refreshing adult beverages *only* in that frig. That way, you'll go down there on a regular enough basis, and while you're there, you might as well hit a few! Certainly keep your pool cue down there and not in the closet upstairs...

Just some ideas. I suspect it's not an inviting space that makes you feel it's worthwhile to climb down the stairs for. Of course, I could be totally wrong (again!).

Wally_in_Cincy
06-19-2003, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Hi Wally,

Make sure to make it an enjoyable experience to go to the trouble to take the stairs down to the basement. Make the basement a place you want to go, not a place you need to go, to play pool. It needs to be comfortable for you. I've never had a basement, so these comments may be stupid, but I've always thought of basements as dark and damp places.

<font color="blue">Actually it's nicely finished. It's like a big family room. My "office" (read:desk) is down there so after I check my mail that's the first place I go. I'm down there several times a day. </font color>

My guess is that a dehumidifier would be the first thing to use. Put in plenty of good light and nice decorations or keep your favorite music down there...

<font color="blue">The humidity's not too bad. Working on the other stuff. </font color>

Give yourself a reason to go down there every day. Maybe keep a fish bowl with a live fish that you have to feed every day.

<font color="blue">Oh great, another chore /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif j/k </font color>

Put a spare refrigerator down there, and keep your cold refreshing adult beverages *only* in that frig. That way, you'll go down there on a regular enough basis,

<font color="blue">and never go back upstairs /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

No the problem is when I'm playing I hear chores calling my name like the sirens from The Odyssey. Oh well, time to re-prioritize.

thanx Spetty

UWPoolGod
06-19-2003, 12:55 PM
HA! Spoken like a man that doesn't spend over three hours a day in big city rush hour traffic!!! &lt;&lt;Spetty

Man don't I know that. Maybe a 15 minute commute in the morning since I beat the morning rush working so early, but getting home across the floating bridges in Seattle from Redmond...forget about it. Took me 1 hour and 40 minutes to go 20 miles yesterday.

Todd &lt;-- wishes he had that time to practice

Barbara
06-19-2003, 05:20 PM
Tap! Tap! Tap! Very well said!

I only feel "guilty" about not practicing a couple days before the tourny. And those times I venture downstairs and see yours and Joe T's practice books on the table while I'm shoving laundry into the washer and dryer.

But you're right, nowadays with the newer sailboat we have, my priorities have changed during the summer. So I won't beat myself up when I go two-and-out because I haven't picked up a cue in a month! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara~~~just afraid that the Cue Man will come and take it away from me because I'm not doing it any justice!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

heater451
06-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Even without the insult context, it's just really funny.

==========================

Brian in VA
06-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Tap, tap tap!

Well spoken socrates! I picked up the Franklin / Covey planner as my system for work about 10 years ago. By staying centered in my life, it allows me to never feel as if I'm cheating part of my life because of another. (Okay, almost never.) Admittedly, I've finally gotten to the age when I've slowed my corporate ladder climb, a little, and I look for opportunities to enjoy other things. Fortunately, pool is one of them.

I for one wish I could get a table for my house; it would save the hour commute to and from the ph. My wife says I can after we remodel this fall. I knew she was the one for me!

Brian

Tom_In_Cincy
06-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Wally,

You have to have a 'goal' to be motivated. Right now you are focused on more important things. When the time comes to set a goal for your pool game, your motivation will come back.

The last time you had a goal "APA tournament" you practiced. Right?.. The next time you set your goal for pool, the table will still be there, and all you have to do is take the laundry off if it and play.

Feeling guilty because you are letting an opportunity to practice slip by..? you need a GOAL, that's all. You have other goals now that take priority.

It'll come back after the summer is over and you've gotten your chores (and other goals) done.. and the reward will be sitting there waiting for you.

The Watchdog
06-19-2003, 06:10 PM
Gee whiz Wally, must suck to be you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dg-in-centralpa
06-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Wally - I just went through the same thing. My winter leagues ended in March and I started a summer in house league at a club I belong to. Average competition and I can't win two games in a row. No concentration, or desire. I hardly practiced and when I did it was half a$$ed. After losing 6 games that I gave away, I started to practice more. I play for about a half an hour before I go to work, and I take some time in the evening as well. The wife and daughter know I don't want to be disturbed. Good Luck! This will pass.

DG - going to Montana to be a dental floss tycoon

bigbro6060
06-19-2003, 07:56 PM
My pool table is bang in the middle of my family room! i can't not practice

i can watch tv and practice. my computer is in the same room so i can dable on the net a bit as well

socrates
06-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Thanks, I have been a Franklin Fan since 1982.

And yes a married couples first pool table - an excercise in marital compromise.

Hope you get a table soon.

Qtec
06-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Back the truck up , my friend. I wasnt insulting anybody.
I think that Wally is lucky guy .
An old Dutch saying is ,
"count what you have , not what you dont have ".

My faourite ,
"the only thing you can count on is that nothing stays the same ".

I made a joke because I thought he was being sarcastic , my mistake.

Nobody has even considered the fact that Wally has a fiancee. She also must come into the equation .

Qtec

Wally_in_Cincy
06-20-2003, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> ......Nobody has even considered the fact that Wally has a fiancee. She also must come into the equation .
Qtec
<hr /></blockquote>

During the summer she works until at least 7:00 pm each day so that's really not a concern. Besides she's a poolplayer too. We play leagues twice a week and the occasional tourney. We've managed to play 3 or 4 matches since we moved in but after getting home at 7:30 on non-league nights she just wants to kick back and relax, not play pool.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-20-2003, 11:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote The Watchdog:</font><hr> Gee whiz Wally, must suck to be you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

No actually it doesn't. But thank you for your lucid and informative post. You obviously put 100% of your brainpower into it and I appreciate the effort it must have taken on your part.

Wally~~wonders why someone would make this their first post /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Qtec
06-20-2003, 12:01 PM
I would say that this is normal .You have to relax sometime.At least you are still playing ,so you dont have to practice that much , just enough to keep your feel .

I think under the circumstances , it is more important to play your matches in the right frame of mind rather than 'force 'yourself to do practice that wont really help.
This just might be a temporary thing . Like i said , nothing stays the same .

Your question should have been ,"Who hasn,t" instead of
"Who has"

Qtec

heater451
06-20-2003, 04:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Back the truck up , my friend. I wasnt insulting anybody.
I think that Wally is lucky guy .
An old Dutch saying is ,
"count what you have , not what you dont have ".

My faourite ,
"the only thing you can count on is that nothing stays the same ".

I made a joke because I thought he was being sarcastic , my mistake.

Nobody has even considered the fact that Wally has a fiancee. She also must come into the equation .

Qtec
<hr /></blockquote>I was referring to tateuts' comment about tulip season in Holland, not anything you said (typed).

===================================

CarolNYC
06-21-2003, 03:51 AM
Hi Wally,
Congratulations on your new home-your fiancee is a very lucky woman and Im sure you are a very lucky man!
I was in a similar situation as you when my table was ready-I played all different times, stopping with every distraction, but now, I have made a schedule! I chose the times 11 am-6pm (because this is the regional tournament times)-being an early riser, everything is done by 10;30 am,ha ha ha- and your motivation is whatever your goal is-in my case-its to run 100 balls and ,of course, to WIN!
Hope your summer gives you time to play!
Take care!
Carol:):):):)

Wally_in_Cincy
06-21-2003, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>....I played all different times, stopping with every distraction, but now, I have made a schedule! .....<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Carol. That's what I need, a schedule. I'm good at planning and scheduling stuff and following thru on it. I'm going to try 2 afternoons a week at first. The afternoon before a league night works well for me. That way I'm in stroke for league.

snipershot
06-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Wally,

what I do is try to get everything or much of my chores done as I can in one evening, I will do my laundry, mow the lawn, do the dishes, etc... You'll be bagged afterwards but will have some free time available for practice in the next few days. This is what I do but I know it can be hard when so many things need to be accomplished in a limited amount of time. Hope this helps

SPetty
06-21-2003, 09:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Besides she's a poolplayer too. ... she just wants to kick back and relax, not play pool. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Wally,

Just two words for you: Strip Pool!

hahahahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CarolNYC
06-22-2003, 03:29 AM
There you go,Wally
Thats the spirit!Knock'em dead!:):):)
Carol
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif