PDA

View Full Version : Do you say thank you?

griffith_d
06-19-2003, 08:43 AM
When you are on the 8 or 9 and someone gives you the game in a tournament,..do you say thank you everytime?

If not, why?

Griff

9 Ball Girl
06-19-2003, 09:01 AM
I always say thank you. Everytime. I do feel uncomfortable though if they don't make me shoot it because then I start to get that feeling of obligation of having to give them the game in return when they're at the 9. When I'm practicing, I always tell whoever it is I'm playing with to make me shoot it if I see that they're about to give me the game. Anyway, not letting me shoot at the 9 ball is a nice gesture, if you will, so out of politeness, I say thanks!

tateuts
06-19-2003, 01:15 PM
I do. And I like to hear it.

Chris

tateuts
06-19-2003, 01:17 PM
To my friends I say " since I would hate to see you miss it, I'm giving it to you".

Only a moneyball player would understand that!

Chris

eg8r
06-19-2003, 01:18 PM
If they give me the 8 or 9 in a tournament, I will still always say Thank you. However deep inside I am saying "SUCKER". Just one more shot and I would have missed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

smfsrca
06-19-2003, 02:05 PM
This is a common practice and a thank you is neither expected nor neccessary. It is not given as a gift to reward you for your performance but is taken as a concession from a sense of hopelessness. The best thing to do is get on with the next rack without delay or fanfare.
Consider which of the following scenarios applies best:
1. "I am giving you this just because I like you."
A thank you is expected.
2. "I can't win. Lets play again."
No thanks required. Just rack the damn balls.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-19-2003, 02:34 PM
Hey Griff... good to see ya posting again..

Between friends in a friendly game, I always say thanks.

In tournament play, if I make a good shot to get 'good' on the 9 and my opponent concedes, IMO no response is necessary.

In league play its just not a team thing to do IMO.

I do like to Finish what I start. And sometimes when I play my friends, I ask if its ok to play the games out. I like to be able to see them finish also. Its good to 'finish what you start' there is a positive reward for making 'the' shot.

tateuts
06-19-2003, 02:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smfsrca:</font><hr> This is a common practice and a thank you is neither expected nor neccessary. It is not given as a gift to reward you for your performance but is taken as a concession from a sense of hopelessness. The best thing to do is get on with the next rack without delay or fanfare.
Consider which of the following scenarios applies best:
1. "I am giving you this just because I like you."
A thank you is expected.
2. "I can't win. Lets play again."
No thanks required. Just rack the damn balls.

<hr /></blockquote>

Actually, it's none of the above.

What I think it means is:

"You're a skilled player and I respect your skills. This is a sitting duck, no need to shoot. Not that I think you'll miss, but if you do, neither of us would benefit because, well I don't know your situation, but maybe you need the money and your children will starve if you miss this, so I'm just going to be charitable, but if you're doing to be sensitive then forget it, and hell with you so who cares, but I want to be generous and kind and good to all so I'm just going to sweep this ball off the table but if you are an ingrate or try to take advantage of this generous gesture then can just rack 'em sucker, and damnded if I'm going to say thank you if you give me one because you'll live to rue that day, believe me"

Ain't that right SlimJim?

UWPoolGod
06-19-2003, 04:04 PM
I always say thanks if someone gives me an 8 or 9+. No matter how I played in the match, win or lose, I always shake the guys hand...or try to. Sometimes they stalk away before I can do it though. As far as giving up 9's and 8's I tend not to do it. I have seen too many people have easy shots and dog them. Now if I am playing my friends I will give up the 8/9 depending on how serious we are playing.

pooljunkie73
06-19-2003, 04:09 PM
I say thanks any time someone gives me the 9.But,i never,ever give anyone the game ball.You never know what is going to happen,they could mis-cue,choke,you tend to get in the habit of giving the 9 after a while.

Irish
06-19-2003, 05:03 PM
I never say thank you in this situation. The person is not giving you the 9 to be nice or because they dont want to see you miss. They are giving you the 9 because they think you are going to make it for sure anyway and they would rather get the next game underway. If the 9 is a hard shot they wont give it to you (or they are a fool). Giving the 9 to a person is not going to help the shooter usually. One game you might be given the easy 9 and therefor won that game (which you would have won anyways) but in the next game you might be faced with a little tougher 9-ball and all of the sudden your opponent is sitting in his chair unmoving and is calmly watching you shoot the 9. Often this will grind on a weaker players confidence. There are tournaments where giving the 9-ball to a player will cause that player that gave the 9 to lose another game on top of the one he gave away to stop the practice as a sharking technique. The more veteran and skilled players learn to just take the games they are given like that as if they made the 9 anyway since it was easy, no thank you is required since the opponent did not change the outcome of the game in any way. If I make the 9-ball in a game I dont thank my opponent, so I wont thank him if he gives me the 9 either since he is just forgoing the inevitable of me putting it in the pocket.

stick8
06-19-2003, 11:19 PM
need to refraise the post, why not say thank you?

Qtec
06-20-2003, 05:20 AM
If its for the game , no. If its for the match , yes
Q

griffith_d
06-20-2003, 08:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stick8:</font><hr> need to refraise the post, why not say thank you? <hr /></blockquote>

I guess I posed this question not to question if the 8/9 is given or not, it was how people react to being given the honor from the other person that you are that good and going to make it anyway.

Some people where I play are insulted when you make them shoot a straight in shot on the 9,...I am not,...I like making them all.

I give the game on the 9 (sometimes 8) and you are right, it is to get on with the next game,... this game is over. Of course, this depends on the person's game if the 9 is given.

But, a few people where I play have said thanks when I never have said thanks before. It sounded very nice of them and it struck me as honor given back since I gave them the respect for their game.

Now, I say thanks when I think about it and also depends on the person I am playing. But, saying thanks seems to open up the game on a more personable level than just a ball making machine.

Griff

Fran Crimi
06-20-2003, 09:01 AM
Good question.

For me, it depends. If they're sincere in giving me the courtesy, I always say thanks. But if they miss the 8 or 9 and angrily grab the balls and start to rack, I don't say anything. They're just angry they missed and are punishing themselves. I find that in most cases when your opponent screws up and angrily grabs the balls, they could care less about giving a courtesy. They don't want to see their opponent pocket game ball when it should have been them.

Fran

griffith_d
06-20-2003, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Good question.

For me, it depends. If they're sincere in giving me the courtesy, I always say thanks. But if they miss the 8 or 9 and angrily grab the balls and start to rack, I don't say anything. They're just angry they missed and are punishing themselves. I find that in most cases when your opponent screws up and angrily grabs the balls, they could care less about giving a courtesy. They don't want to see their opponent pocket game ball when it should have been them.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

This is true,...it depends on who you are playing as to who you say thanks to and also who you give the game to. Why say thanks to someone who would just as soon spit in your face.

Griff

griffith_d
06-20-2003, 10:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Hey Griff... good to see ya posting again..

Thanks for the welcome back,..I have been mainly posting on EPT. After Scott Lee's lesson, I have started to come back.

Griff