PDA

View Full Version : League Formats

UTAddb
06-19-2003, 10:15 AM
I went to my first league last night and was dissappointed with the format. It's a handicapped league, but I don't think it's APA. There's 5 to a team and you play 2 games against each person (total of 10) per member. With two games by the time you barely start to get into the match, it's over! It sucks when someone cheeses in the 9 and they win half the games. If it were a race to 4 or something it would be insignificant. Then again we were there for almost 3 hours so I guess it has to be that short. Just curious if most leagues were set up this way.

9 Ball Girl
06-19-2003, 10:30 AM
Sounds like a round robin format. When I played in the BCA league, there were 5 of us per team and we all had to play everyone a race to 1!

UTAddb
06-19-2003, 11:14 AM
They may already do this, but it sounds a lot better to rank your team and have the best player on your team vs. the best opponent in a long race, 2nd best vs. 2nd best opponent etc. One or two big matches instead of 5 mini sets.

heater451
06-19-2003, 04:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Sounds like a round robin format. When I played in the BCA league, there were 5 of us per team and we all had to play everyone a race to 1! <hr /></blockquote>The short race is the complaint I hear from people who don't like the BCA format. . . .

The upside is, that there's generally more socialization (and in my experience, fun) with playing the whole team.

If you play for a few seasons, you also get a pretty good idea of how you do against everyone in the league, and not just the persons you get posted against.--I know that last part sounds obvious, but that's part of the argument: With the APA and TAP type handicaps, you often wind up playing the same two persons per team, when you match up against them. . . .

I wonder if it would be feasible to play the basic BCA format, without the full handicaps, but have races to 3 (not best of) for the individual matchups. I know this might take too long, but compensation might be made by having 4-person teams.

Anyone think that would work?

============================

UWPoolGod
06-19-2003, 04:55 PM
The only league I have played in was a county fun league in southwest Washington. You had 7 man teams and it was random who you played. Each person would play twice giving a total of 14 games and on a 7-7 tie there would be a best of 3. Which you could pick your best three players to play.

One of the guys I played in a playoff won the coin flip and decided to let me break because he said his breaks have been going off the table or scratching. I said okay and broke and ran on him, I hope he learned a lesson with that move.

pooltchr
06-20-2003, 05:13 AM
The BCA has a format for playing 3, 4 or 5 players each night. I don't see any reason you couldn't do a short race rather than the single game format. Of course, if your league sends teams to Vegas, you would have to be prepared to switch back. We run an in-house cash league under BCA rules and format where I play, so it would work under those circumstances. The players really like the league set up that way. Last session, the first place team split $1100. This session, first place will pay $1500. Our players don't mind at all that we don't send a team to the nationals, they like the $$$$$ /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif