PDA

View Full Version : Meucci Nailed It

tateuts
06-19-2003, 12:15 PM
I'm pretty conditioned for a long wait for stuff from the Meucci repair department. They're working hard to get caught up and I just got great service. It took a 5 minute phone call, I ordered three custom shafts from them with specific collar patterns and lengths, and I had the shafts in two weeks.

Chris

cycopath
06-19-2003, 03:45 PM
We're a Meucci dealer and they sent out a letter recently apologizing for the "abominable" service. And that they've taken steps to improve things over there.

06-19-2003, 07:52 PM
I don't play with a meucci but since you are a dealer maybe you can clear something up. I have played in number of rooms over the years where they were the cue. I have been beaten and cleaned out more than once by somebody using one.
I always assumed it was a top cue. Why does all the people on these boards beat it to death, try and tell me why, and is this deserved and again why? Thank you, give it up from an expert on the subject, if you dare sing like a canary?
The ice Mon

tateuts
06-19-2003, 08:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote gna:</font><hr> I don't play with a meucci but since you are a dealer maybe you can clear something up. I have played in number of rooms over the years where they were the cue. I have been beaten and cleaned out more than once by somebody using one.
I always assumed it was a top cue. Why does all the people on these boards beat it to death, try and tell me why, and is this deserved and again why? Thank you, give it up from an expert on the subject, if you dare sing like a canary?
The ice Mon <hr /></blockquote>

Ice Mon,

Frankly, I'll be as tactful as possible when I say it's simply because you're a really crappy player.

Those guys don't need Meucci's to beat you - that's like using a shotgun on a butterfly.

At your level, you should be looking for people playing with WAL-Mart sticks with two-tone red and bright green nylon wrap, 11mm shafts made out of yellow chinese pine, a "chinese pro" straight taper, and decals that say "TURBO-CHARGED" and "BONZAI" on the side.

Chris

pooltchr
06-20-2003, 05:30 AM
I sell a lot of cues, used to shoot with a high dollar Meucci, and work on a lot of both old and new cues of all brands. The two complaints I have with Meucci are:

1. The shafts on Meucci's are much more flexible than on almost any other cue I have played with. This does not suit my personal style of play. I much prefer a more solid shaft. That is something each player has to work out in his own game. I'm also not a big fan of the sealed wrap. I like the feel of linen on my wrap. Some people love 'em, other's hate 'em.

2. Quality is where most everyone that doesn't like them would probably agree. The quality of the cues does not seem to be up to standards that they once were. I can pick up almost any Meucci cue, run my thumb over the edge of the inlays and feel it. This is something I do not expect on a cue with a retail price of over $600, yet it seems to be normal with Meucci's.

I have to admit I do like their designs, but the quality and playability issues drove me to a different brand.

tateuts
06-20-2003, 10:05 AM
I don't play with a Meucci but I like the way they play. The shafts are a little soft for me as well, although the balance of the cue, the taper, and the hit are excellent.

I collect Meucci Originals old logo (I have about 20) and I can say their repair department definitely has the talent to fix almost anything on almost any cue they've ever made.

The delays have been maddening in the past. I hope that these customer service problems are not "too little too late" for the company.

Even in the old Meucci's, there were quality control problems. I think there was so much demand for these cues, they let some go out without the usual checks and balances.

For example, the raising of the inlays you are discussing is due to two factors, 1) the difference in shrinking and swelling of the materials and 2) curing of the glue in realtion to the clearcoat - as the glue shrinks under the inlay a glue line is forced up around the edges, lifting the clear and in some cases causing an air bubble.

Both of these problems can be corrected by properly allowing the cue to cure and re-sanding before clear coating. Or at least waiting for the clear to cure competely and checking for lifting. But this might put production behind by a month and if you're already two months behind, well - you get the point.

The other major problems I encounter is that a lot of Meucci's use dye's - they must have been solvent based dyes - so some of these materials were not compatible with the clearcoat and bled into the clear (a water based dye won't do this). A refinish solves this problem but if you sand through the dye then you have to recolor it - not an easy task.

Another problem is severe yellowing of the plastic. Again, a rush into production without proper testing. Another problem is cracking of the ferrules - could be from negligent owners storing their cues in the car trunk during summer.

But I will say the major #1 problem with Meucci's is that they have not been properly cared for by their owner. If I get a 20 year old cue that's been sitting in a collectors case, it's usually perfect. I have, believe it or not, a few Meuccis 20 - 22 years old that are totally unused, they came in the original sealed factory plastic, and the cues are in perfect shape.

A lot of the warping problems I attribute to storing the cues in hot and humid conditions. Many Meuccis are sold in the southern U.S. with severe heat and humidity. Put one in the trunk for a couple of years and you're going to get warping.

I really enjoy collecting the old cues. The designs are creative and interesting - definitely not "run of the mill" or conservative.

Chris

cycopath
06-20-2003, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>I collect Meucci Originals old logo (I have about 20)<hr /></blockquote>Wow, 20 Meucci Originals? Do you have an Oldies 1 in an original? I have a buddy that wants one.

Cueless Joey
06-20-2003, 10:48 AM
My local repairman repairs a ton of Meucci.
Meucci's very soft ferrule and joint collars break too easily. No wonder he had to declare bankruptcy.

tateuts
06-20-2003, 03:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>I collect Meucci Originals old logo (I have about 20)<hr /></blockquote>Wow, 20 Meucci Originals? Do you have an Oldies 1 in an original? I have a buddy that wants one. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Cyco,

That's the Bushka style oldie. I don't have it. I have an
Oldie 1 and I'm looking for an original logo bushka too and they are not very easy to find.

I do have two oldie styles in the original versions I'm proud of, an original Airplane cue (similar to the Oldie 2) and the fancy original similar to the Oldie 3 - that's a cool looking stick. Those two are perfect.

My notable ones are I have an unplayed Road Agent old logo in the bag with the weight sticker. That was a find. This dealer had it in his storeroom for 20 years! I have an Oldie 2 in the bag, unopened with the factory sticker on the bag, same guy. I have an old logo gambler with the smaller cards, all of the original Rempe models
except "castle walls" which I have the new logo version of,
and I inadvertantly collected every one of the 84 series
flyer except two of the easy to find cues so I'm looking for those. I also have a mint condition "hook" cue. I have the old logo version of the HOF2 and some plainer sticks. I have a mint "Hubbart" of a style I've not seen anywhere else (it has green rings on the black butt, 4 points, and a light green exposed wrap). I have a few 95 series cues but I think I'm going to sell them and try to get some more old logo's. Some of the prices, like for a Tomahawk or the "piano" cue and David Howard Dragonslayer are pretty expensive.

Nice to find another person interested in old Meucci's!

Chris

tateuts
06-20-2003, 03:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> My local repairman repairs a ton of Meucci.
Meucci's very soft ferrule and joint collars break too easily. No wonder he had to declare bankruptcy. <hr /></blockquote>

Joey,

I heard rumors of this but nothing certain - are you sure they filed for bankruptcy?

Chris

06-21-2003, 01:57 AM
I recently was in a small bar in Wright City, Missouri. The owner has a Meucci Original in a glass case. It looks to be about 15-20 years old and has "ST LOUIE LOUIE" engraved at the bottom. The lettering is not similar to other Pro-player models I've seen from the same era (i.e. the David Howard "star of david" cue). Did Meucci put out a "St. Louie Louie" cue??? I do know that Louie Roberts used Meucci's on occasion and was sponsored by Meucci. Just wondering if you had any insight.

Also, if this cue is authentic would 1000 be too much to pay? It's in good condition and I'm a big Louie Roberts fan.

tateuts
06-21-2003, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoop:</font><hr> I recently was in a small bar in Wright City, Missouri. The owner has a Meucci Original in a glass case. It looks to be about 15-20 years old and has "ST LOUIE LOUIE" engraved at the bottom. The lettering is not similar to other Pro-player models I've seen from the same era (i.e. the David Howard "star of david" cue). Did Meucci put out a "St. Louie Louie" cue??? I do know that Louie Roberts used Meucci's on occasion and was sponsored by Meucci. Just wondering if you had any insight.

Also, if this cue is authentic would 1000 be too much to pay? It's in good condition and I'm a big Louie Roberts fan. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for asking! You definitely have a find there.

The thing to do is take some photo's of the cue and send it in to Meucci. They have a good guy in sales, Darrin, who knows his stuff and is very nice and friendly about this sort of request. Or call him at 800-563-8224. It's possible they were limited production run - made for a regional area. Besides the common cues, Rempe, Howard, and Hubbart, I've seen a few different names engraved on sticks including Mike Siegel - and I'm always a little surprised to see something like that because just when I thought I've seen them all, something like this comes up. But the names have always been imprinted on an existing design.

There's also a guy on E-Bay you can e-mail. He goes by the name "scarletfrisco" on E-Bay. As far as I'm concerned, he's the leading authority on Meucci in the world. I don't want to post his e-mail address here.

Here's probably how the value would work, all assuming it's in excellent condition, authenticity can be verified, and it's a pretty fancy cue with a lot of work.

- I don't think they were mass produced, because I would have probably seen one by now.

- I suspect what it is is a limited production cue, marketed regionally based on an existing design - probably $600 to $800 would be reasonable because it would be pretty rare. Depends on the model they copied.

- If it were one of a kind made for Louie, used by Louie, but based on a production cue, your probably talking $1000 to $1200 as a collectible hustler stick.

- If it is a one of a kind Bob Meucci custom made for Louie, it could be worth over $1500 to about $2000.

These values could be decreased by 50% if the design is fairly plain or common. If it is a rare design, it might even be worth more.

Collectible cues are a buyers market right now. Prices haven't held up. Good luck - but fair warning, if you buy it you might get "hooked" like me!

Chris

tateuts
06-21-2003, 07:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>I collect Meucci Originals old logo (I have about 20)<hr /></blockquote>Wow, 20 Meucci Originals? Do you have an Oldies 1 in an original? I have a buddy that wants one. <hr /></blockquote>

Believe it or not, I just saw one on E-Bay with a buy it now of $400 - kind of steep, but not outrageous.

Meucci Bushka Style Original (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3614636964&amp;category=21 212)

Chris

Dafatman
06-21-2003, 09:43 PM
I was reading your post about not having an "Original" David Howard Dragonslayer. A "roadie" came through my room the other day and sold one to a guy for $200 that didn't have the original shaft, but the butt was in very good condition. If you are really interested, I'll try to relocate the cue, and get it for you. It went to a shmo who just thought Meucci was a good buy. I would have bought it, but I'm cue poor right now, and trying to sell some high end stuff that I'm tired of holding on to. If you're interested, e-mail me at Psherma296@aol.com. I was very impressed with the looks and quality of the forearm especially, it had a gray looking wood for the silohuette of the points with a very good looking piece of wood and no major chips or dings in the inlays.