PDA

View Full Version : 64 inch Cue Sighted in Cincy

Tom_In_Cincy
03-29-2002, 04:24 PM
Not only one but two extra length cues have been sighted in the same pool hall, two diffent players within two days... What are the odds?
Is a cue that is 6 inches longer going to be restrictive? Rail jacked up shots? what about the extra weight? they do eliminate about 50% of bridge shape shots.. but is it worth it?
Just wanted some CCB'ers opinions. I talked to both of these players and they said the love their cues.. (I would expect them to say that) Why get a longer cue.. both players said it helps them on longer shots.. and their stroke.. (I think they both needed help..)

Scott Lee
03-29-2002, 04:32 PM
Tom...Are these players very tall? The only reason I could see for a cue that long would be if they were 6'5" or taller. Even then, a 60" cue would probably suffice!

Scott Lee

Tom_In_Cincy
03-29-2002, 04:34 PM
both players were at least 2 inches shorter than me.. I'm just a few hairs under 6'

Scott Lee
03-29-2002, 05:01 PM
Tom...LOL! Reminds me of how we used to measure how long your skis were supposed to be (your wrist was supposed to touch the tip end of the ski standing on end)...nowadays, because of technology improvements, skis are MUCH shorter, and easier to turn! I still ski on 205 or 210 cm regular skis, but 185-190 on the new "shaped" skis. Maybe it is the same with pool cues! LOL Perhaps we are heading for people using cues taller than they are! LOL NOT!!!!!

Scott

03-29-2002, 05:49 PM
I used a 58" cue for some years. I always had trouble running out of follow-through. My cue would "dip" early.

I added 4" to the butt and my world changed! I have a 76" wingspan and a 61-62" length is perfect for me. Also, I had the extra length added to extend the front of the wrap. This gives some forward weight which I prefer.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-29-2002, 05:54 PM
Good reasons..
the guys that I saw with these long cues, were not even close to having a 76" wingspan.. maybe 60 at the most..

Doctor_D
04-02-2002, 06:58 AM
Good morning:

I have a standard length, 58", Meucci SE12. Subsequent to my purchase of the cue, I had a cue maker fabricate a 12" extension for me. The extension, which uses a Uni-Lock fitting to join the extension to the cue, converts my cue to 70" from 58". Being only 5'7", the extra reach has proven most convenient and useful as it has eliminated the use of the mechanical bridge by more then 90%. The down side is the added weight with the extension. However, with some practice and patience the additional weight is no longer an issue. One final point. The shaft must be smooth, no varnish, all the way down to the joint because at times you will be bridging very close to the joint section of the shaft.

Dr. D.

04-02-2002, 07:25 AM
I am 6'1". When I play with a 58.5, my last two fingers must be down near the bumper. I put the pieces of two 3 piece butts to make my stick 63". Made a pos. difference.

Scott Lee
04-04-2002, 08:13 PM
ballbreaker...Seems to me that 6'1", unless your arms are really long, your forearm would not be at a 90 degree angle, with your hand pointing straight down at the table, if you were holding a 63" cue way back on the last couple of inches! But if it works for you...GREAT! Check and see if your forearm is vertical at the point of contact with the CB. If not, you probably should move your grip up a couple of inches, until your arm hangs straight down (this is done with the bridge hand on the table and the cuetip up against the CB). Holding the cue too far back usually will result in a bowing of the cue during the stroke, causing it to come into contact with the table above the wrap, and usually on the finish of the cue. I have seen lots of cues with little nicks in the finish, because their owners held the cue too far back on the end, and ended up bashing them on the rail frequently, as they stroked through the CB. However, I must also say that I have seen MANY tall players hold the cue right back on the bumper, like you describe, only on a regular 58" cue, and stroke perfectly through the CB.

Scott Lee

04-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Thank you very much Scott. After reading your e-mail, I took my stick out to check the vertical allignment on my stroke. It is very coincidental that you should make the point of vertical allignment. I have just within the past day, had a special extention piece made out of aluminum and steel so I could have a 59.5" stick. The weight is slightly different, but it is still well balanced and feels better.
Anyway, I found that, in addition to the fact that I stretch my right leg back as far as poss., I also turn my torso sideways with my head turned back in line with the stick. I can see that this is why I need the extra length.
I do try to keep the vertical arm with all shots. It is when I am bridging further back on the shaft that I need to move my grip back as well. I am glad that you reminded me of the vertical arm because while getting used to the different lenghths, I know I was not concentrating on my arm coming to rest vertically at the end of the stroke.
As Robert DeNiro would say..."You're good"..."you're good"!
Thanks,
Bobby

Scott Lee
04-07-2002, 11:46 AM
...and as Bobby DeNiro would say: "Ehhhhhhhhh, NO problem!"
Glad I could help!

Scott