PDA

View Full Version : Another "Sportsmanship" question

heater451
06-19-2003, 05:15 PM
I watched the video that AZHousepro posted the link to in the " shaft breaking (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=84693&Forum =ccb&Words=azhousepro&Match=Username&Searchpage=0& Limit=25&Old=1week&Main=84482&Search=true#Post8469 3)" thread, of " North Wins the Patriot Cup (http://www.azbilliards.com/2003patriot/northwinspatriotcup.wmv)", and it made me think. . . .

I realize that a win is a big deal for whole group with the player, as well as the player him/herself, but shouldn't the first congratulations come from the opponent?

Of course, in the video, you see Archer just start to pack it in while the guys jump around, but isn't it normal for opponents to end the match with a handshake, before anyone else interrupts?

I know that it's not usually that 'formal' during league matches and local tournaments, but I just think that competitive matches should have a beginning "good luck/shoot well" type of opening, and at least a "good game/match" handshake at the end. Not to totally equate it with the bowing during martial arts matches, but that's the idea. . . .

How do you start/finish your matches?

=========================

Brian in VA
06-19-2003, 05:26 PM
I'm in complete agreement. In our league, each match starts with a "good luck/shoot well" and ends with a "nice game" or something appropriate. I always congratulate anyone who beats me and I'm always baffled by someone who won't shake hands or acknowledge anything other than "he played terrible" after I've won.

At the pro level, they should be setting the example. After last week's U.S. Open (golf) I heard every pro talking about what a great game Jim Furyk had played. That's the way it should be. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you!

Just my 2 cents.
Brian

Ralph S.
06-19-2003, 05:29 PM
A simple handshake usually serves well enough for me.

pooldaddy9
06-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Always a good luck handshake and a good game handshake.(in tournament play)

The Watchdog
06-19-2003, 06:14 PM
"Good Luck" could have a negative connotation, implying the opponent will need luck to beat you.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-19-2003, 06:17 PM
Handshake is good enough, a nod is OK.

If it's a woman, I like to give her a hug. It's just my way. Haven't been refused yet.

heater451
06-19-2003, 06:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote The Watchdog:</font><hr> "Good Luck" could have a negative connotation, implying the opponent will need luck to beat you. <hr /></blockquote>That's why I added the "/shoot well". (In fact, I know a local player--a good one--who seems to push saying "shoot well", if you say, "good luck". I got his point without explanation--which is why I remembered to include it here on the board. So, I can understand your view of it that way.

Anyway, it's more of a simple acknowledgement, rather than any real belief in luck--although I've definitely desired "good luck" when I knew I wasn't playing well. . . .

As an aside, I also always seemed to do better, playing in bars, when I made a point to introduce myself to the other (usually, incoming) player. Maybe I was more relaxed because it was more 'friendly', I don't know. . . .

====================

Fran Crimi
06-19-2003, 06:40 PM
Yep, I saw that too. I think it's a tough call with a team thing. The group surrounded Mika immediataly after game ball. He would have had to push his own guys away to get to Archer any sooner. He did make it a point to go over and shake Johnny's hand. Archer seemed receptive to that. You can't really expect Archer to get in the middle of a team jumping for joy to shake Mika's hand.

I'd guess that it's OK to allow for a little more leeway in a team situation as long as the player makes it over to his opponent before the guy leaves the playing area. I've always seen these guys shake hands immediately after game ball when they're playing for themselves.

Fran

Alfie
06-19-2003, 06:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr>but I just think that competitive matches should have a beginning "good luck/shoot well" type of opening, and at least a "good game/match" handshake at the end. Not to totally equate it with the bowing during martial arts matches, but that's the idea. . . .<hr /></blockquote>For those who do begin and end with a bow, do you "look eye" or not?

dg-in-centralpa
06-19-2003, 07:03 PM
I always shake hands with my opponent, even when I run a table or an 8 ball break(which is a win in both leagues I play in). To me it's common courtesy. The only time I don't is, if it is someone who dislikes me.

heater451
06-19-2003, 07:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr>For those who do begin and end with a bow, do you "look eye" or not? <hr /></blockquote>I think fighters should keep eye contact, since it's never a good idea to take you're eyes off the opponent. Then again, there might be a ring/card girl. . . . /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

=======================

heater451
06-19-2003, 07:47 PM
I watched all of it, and saw where he made his way over as well, but I just think that everyone else could, should hold their excitement for the few seconds it takes for the players to complete the 'pleasantries'.

Although, I guess that I do agree with the "leeway in a team situation". I just think it's another show of respect, to acknowledge the opponent first (know what I mean?).

Then again, I could concieve of someone thanking God before their shaking hands with their opponent. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

=========================