PDA

View Full Version : Back Pain

rackmup
02-18-2002, 02:41 PM
Anyone suffering from back pain due to increased play/practice? I have recently started practicing daily for 2-4 hours and my back is killing me!

I'm taking 1000mg of Ibuprofen daily (before practice) but it doesn't help.

Any ideas?

02-18-2002, 02:50 PM
Try beer!

SPetty
02-18-2002, 03:23 PM
I know you're kidding, but tequila shots along with the ibuprofen seem to help me!

02-18-2002, 03:25 PM
probably stance issue. without seeing you i can't tell for sure but you might look at the "squared-up" - allison fisher stance.

02-18-2002, 03:27 PM
Good afternoon Ken:

My practice sessions typically run a minimum of 6 Hours a day three days a week. As such, when I strated about a year ago, my back was killing me. What helped me the most was an increase in the walking I did for exercise as well as to increase the number of abdominal crunches I do on a regular basis. I walk from 7 to 10 miles per week and do an average of 100 abdonimal crunches every other day. Strenghten the lower back and abdominal muscles, as well as the upper leg muscles, and the pain will end.

Dr. D.

02-18-2002, 03:31 PM
This should go away after a while, as your back muscles strengthen in adaptation to the new demands you are placing on them. A while back I (with the help of a couple of pro-snooker-players-converted-to-pro-pool-players) switched to more of a snooker stance than a Pool stance. It KILLED my back for a while. But now, I can play in that stance all day. (Why did I make that change in my game? Long story.)

Also, try getting a massage at least once a week. It can do wonders for your body and mind. Tell the massage therapist what is going on ("I'm playing Pool for hours every day, and my back is killing me"), and they should be able to adjust the massage to help address your concerns.

02-18-2002, 03:41 PM
recently i played for 6 in a half hours, my back among other parts were killing me, so i rested in bed for 2 days and my back is hurting from resting in bed for 2 days, you can't win.

02-18-2002, 04:20 PM
Dr. D makes sense. This is the best advice. If however, you still have pain or if you can't do the exercise, try changing your stance so your feet are closer together and more under your hips. The wide stance places a great strain on your back as you rise from the table, since the legs cannot provide any support. You are lifting your total upper body weight with the small of your back.

jjinfla
02-18-2002, 04:50 PM
Pool relaxes my back from the pain I develop while sitting at this stupid computer. Jake

Rod
02-18-2002, 06:41 PM
Ken, considering 800mg is the max dosage a doctor will
prescribe, you may be hurting more than your back, ie liver.
Walking or exercise related to the lower back is good.
I use an E Trainer, its a type of pedal machine, and it really keeps my lower back lose. Pool is like golf in
a way, you bend from the hips to assume stance.
If one slouches over the table the back is more rounded
and causes more strain. Your weight should be balanced
and favor the back foot. Ever since lower back surgery
I realized what little respect I/some of us has in that
area. Look on a good search engine about back problems,
exercise, related to your issue.

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
02-18-2002, 06:53 PM
Rackmup,
I have gone to a soft break while competing.. helps the back after long sets.

I also pace my practice shots. I will am trying to maintain a pre-shot routine prior to any shot and all the practice drills. This is keeping me from shoting real fast.. and being bent over alot.

I also give myself breaks during practice. Sit and relax.

During competition, I always sit when I am not shooting. I will give my legs and back a break as often as possible.

I am 54 and have never had any back problems.. and don't want to.

Tom In Cincy

02-18-2002, 07:27 PM
Did someone say 'back pain.' Jeese, just looking at the word is scary, like writing or saying it will summon the foul demon that causes it.

My solution: I moved my feet closer together while opening my stance and eliminating my crouch. Get lower back stretching and strengthening exercises from your doctor. Doing these helped me. Also, strengthen you abdomen as Dr. D suggests. Like me, you might need to think about loosing weight. Unlike me, you may wish to actually loose that weight.

Good luck.

Steve

02-18-2002, 08:22 PM
spetty, call me at 5105813010

cuechick
02-19-2002, 12:24 AM
all these suggestions are good, you may want to try Aleve instead. It is a form of Naperson which is what I perscribed when I had syatica...I also load up on the Motrim, but Aleve works well for some...

02-19-2002, 12:31 AM
Vicoden works pretty good /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif But since it is a narcotic and would have to suffer with a herniated disc to get them (legally) I would go with the Motrin. Make sure you at least eat a couple of crackers when taking any type of acetomenophen, it can take a toll on your liver.

02-19-2002, 04:17 AM
I had this problem in the past and the only HEALTY solution to this is to start exercise. First it makes your back pain go away and second it makes you to endure much longer when training or playing in tournament. Third it makes you feel better and last but not least it makes your coordination much better, it gives your game real boost like 30-50% to your staight pool runs! No kidding!

02-19-2002, 10:34 AM
Rack, I had real bad lower back problems back in the 70's. Instead of taking pills, going to the doctor etc., I bought inversion boots with a door way chinning bar. In a matter of weeks the back problems disappeared and I haven't had any problems since. I've rendered this solution to other people with back problems and to date I don't think anyone has given it a try. I get a kick out of them still whining about their problems. Note: I rarely use the boots anymore but when I feels the lower back starting to tighten up a minute of two straighten everything out. Good luck! GD

02-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Read a book called "Healing back pain" (I think this is the title) by Dr. John Sarno. This book literally helped me get over horrible cronic back pain which I had for several years. Best thing I ever did....

Doug.