PDA

View Full Version : New pool room in Vegas

Hopster
06-20-2003, 05:44 PM
A new place opened up about a week ago called Cue D,s.
They got around 25 tables. I think about 20 nine footers, 4-5 bar boxes and 2 snooker tables. All Olhausen,s kind of like blond colored wood, no ball returns which to me is a minus. No counters on the tables which pissed me off. All 5 1/2 inch pockets.
I asked the kid behind the counter why no ball counters and he looked at me and went ; "Huuuuuhhh???"
I said counters, you know for when you play straight pool, get it ??
Again i got "huuuuhhh, and whats straight pool ??
Right then and there i ended the conversation.
Room looks pretty nice, $4 an hour rates. But its going to be another kiddy room, this i can see right away. Video games and MTV all over the place, who needs that ?
I always loved the scene in the hustler when he walks into Ames and asks for the bar, the guy says no bar, no bowling alley, no pinball machiones, just pool. This is Ames mister !!
WHY ARE THERE NO MORE ROOMS LIKE THAT ANYMORE ???????? LOL

eg8r
06-20-2003, 05:53 PM
I miss it too. Last time I played in a room like that it was in Youngstown Ohio about '98. All they had besides pool tables was a soda fountain and a coffee machine.

eg8r

Chris Cass
06-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Hi Hopster,

Looks like the Cue Club is the only place to go.

Regards,

C.C.~~till me and RIP get ours. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rip
06-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Probably for the same reasons drive-in movies, carbon paper and transistor radios are rare these days.

Would you be willing to risk your entire 'stack' to open a room like Ames in todays marketplace? Me neither.

Ironic that we sit in front of a PC, talking about how wonderful the good old days were...via the internet! How would the proprietor of Ames Pool Hall handle that?

I remember rooms like Ames also but I guess we have to accept the fact that now is now and then was then. At least that's what my pretty young wife and my two teenage daughters keep telling me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,
Rip~~maybe the good old days weren't all that great. But the memories certainly are!

tateuts
06-20-2003, 09:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr> No counters on the tables which pissed me off. All 5 1/2 inch pockets.
<hr /></blockquote>

Well, with 5 1/2 inch pockets you would need counters into the 1000's!

Chris

Rip
06-20-2003, 09:30 PM
That's right Cassman! When Hopster and other fine patrons yell "RACK" at our combination Pool Hall/Wedding Chapel and an Elvis impersonator carefully racks each rack---it'll blow their minds! Yeeeehaaaaa!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifRip /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Hopster,

Looks like the Cue Club is the only place to go.

Regards,

C.C.~~till me and RIP get ours. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hopster
06-20-2003, 09:36 PM
Looks like the Cue Club is the only place to go. &lt;--Cris Cass

No doubt unless you like romper room type crap then i suggest this place or that filthy toilet, pool sharks.
Cue club will have no competition for the next 10 years at least.
Just an opinion.

Hopster
06-20-2003, 09:41 PM
Ironic that we sit in front of a PC, talking about how wonderful the good old days were...via the internet! How would the proprietor of Ames Pool Hall handle that?

I remember rooms like Ames also but I guess we have to accept the fact that now is now and then was then. At least that's what my pretty young wife and my two teenage daughters keep telling me! &lt;--Rip

I hear what youre saying brother but all i want is just one more time to walk into a room and hear nothing but the click of the balls. No juke box, no screaming, no running, no guys standing at the table while another guys shooting, not having to see the cue ball get knocked off another table and rolling across the floor fifty times a night !!!
Stuff like that, ya know ?? lol
I guess this is the main reason why i play very early in the morning or the whole day while im off, to avoid all that s###.

Hopster
06-20-2003, 09:44 PM
Well, with 5 1/2 inch pockets you would need counters into the 1000's! &lt;--Tateuts

What you been smoking brother ???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopster
06-20-2003, 09:47 PM
That's right Cassman! When Hopster and other fine patrons yell "RACK" at our combination Pool Hall/Wedding Chapel and an Elvis impersonator carefully racks each rack---it'll blow their minds! Yeeeehaaaaa! &lt;----Rip

Damm, im gonna start hanging out with you guys. lol

SecaucusFats
06-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Chris's in Chicago is an old fashioned player's room. (It was the pool room where Vincent and Grady Seasons first played in the movie "The Color of Money".

There are still old fashioned hard core pool rooms around, you just gotta look for 'em.

There are three within a 30 minute drive from where I live:

West End in Elizabeth NJ ( Hard core gambling scene in a tough inner city neighborhood. Bring your game, your money and your heart. Backup wouldn't be a bad idea either.)

Clifton Billiards, Main St., Clifton NJ. Plenty of pool, money games, tournaments, interesting mix of people. This is a 'walk up' room, meaning it is up a flight of stairs over a retail store in town, on Main St. No bar, no loud music, no fancy decor, just nice Gold Crown tables well maintained. Clifton also has two Veerhoven billiard (3-C) tables, the only ones for miles btw. Excellent Sunday nite 8 ball tournament.

Adams in Union City. Gold Crown tables, good cloth. No bar, no snacks, no jukebox, no pro shop. Play pool, shut the hell up, don't cause no problems, mind your own business. Oh, and did I say play pool? Good games to be had. Brush up on your Spanish-- THIS IS AMES WITH A HISPANIC ATTITUDE MISTER!

El Gordo de Secaucus /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fats