PDA

View Full Version : The swing thing

Qtec
06-21-2003, 07:22 AM
Why is it that many top snooker and pool players play good golf . Is there a connection ? Is it a ball thing or a swing thing or a rythm thing ?

Q

Ross
06-21-2003, 12:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Why is it that many top snooker and pool players play good golf . Is there a connection ? Is it a ball thing or a swing thing or a rythm thing ?

Q <hr /></blockquote>
I think it is an eye-hand coordination thing. Some people were born with more of it than others.

Right from the beginning my younger stepson excelled at ever sport he tried. I had no idea of his abilities until I took him to the park to throw a baseball when he was age 6. It was immediately obvious that he had incredible eye-hand coordination. He went on to be an all-star at every sport he tried in school (soccer, baseball, and basketball), and eventually played college and then later semi-professional soccer. And it was all because of this god-given natural coordination. He wasn't real fast or strong, but there was something he was born with that made it easy for him to catch or hit a baseball, shoot or dribble a basketball, or launch a soccer ball 40 yards and drop it on a dime.

Both pool and golf abilities depend mainly on physical coordination. Great speed or strength are not required . The level of coordition required at pool isn't as obvious as in golf, in my opinion, since a good pool stroke looks so simple. When I watch Allison play I'm always struck with the thought "that stroke is so uncomplicated, why can't I do that?" But the apparent simplicity is deceiving. Some long, moderate cut shots may require you be able to aim and stroke a cue with an accuracy of maybe 0.2 - 0.3 degrees (this is from Koehler's book "Science of Pocket Billiards). If you need precise position for your runout, you also have to strike the cue ball within maybe (just guessing) a mm of where you intend and at a fairly precise speed. AND you have to be able to do this consistently and repeatedly over the course of several hours and days if you are to be a top pro.

So it is natural that the people who are the most successful at pool (the Archers, Strickland's, etc.) would be the ones that are the most gifted in the coordination department. And when they step on the golf course, they excel as well.

Wonder if Efren has ever tried golf? Hard to picture. Can you just see him scratching his head as he sizes up a long, difficult putt?