PDA

View Full Version : high runs in straight pool

Ralph S.
06-21-2003, 10:11 AM
Last night I became tired of practicing and beating myself all the time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif So, I decided to try a little straight pool, as I dont really play it. I made sure to focus just to see what I was capable of doing run wise. I put up runs of 33-21-34-29 before I quit for the night.

These are honest numbers and since I am not a 14.1 player I was wanting the players that are to give me some honest feedback. Is this good, bad, mediocre, or respectable. I would really like some honest input from the rest of you that are more advanced in 14.1.

The only time I had real problems was trying to decipher which ball to leave last for the next break. Advice on that will be helpful too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-21-2003, 10:42 AM
That ain't bad /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

There's 2 or 3 guys in our Cincy Straight Pool League who I would consider A players (Tom may correct me if I'm wrong) and they usually don't run more than 35 or 40 on a good night. The high run for the last year I believe is 60+

Wally~~C player at best, 24, 24, 20, 18, 18

bolo
06-21-2003, 10:45 AM
I think it is very good. You are not going to win the US. open but it demonstrates a level of understanding of the game. Did the runs end with a miss or were you out of shots? Also did you at any time shoot a hail Mary that you got away with to keep the run going? That will sometimes falsify high run numbers since you would not have shot the shot in a match. Either way, it's pretty darn good.

Qtec
06-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Not bad at all Ralph . If you set yourself up for shots like these [A] you will find you dont have to force to open the pack . Thin means more energy in the QB and a better split .I personally dont like to split from B because it limits you mostly to 2 pockets .Options are what you want . Keep it simple .

START(
%AM6I5%BL7P8%CH0N3%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PU9H6%QY6H1%RE6T8%U H0P6%VF7T5
%WD3C7%XM1I1%YO8J2%ZT3H9%[M0K9%\N0I7%]C7C9%^G8N1
)END

Qtec

Kato
06-21-2003, 12:32 PM
44 is my high and I missed a 3 foot shot with an open table.

Kato~~~shoulda been 50.........easy

Tom_In_Cincy
06-21-2003, 12:46 PM
You're correct Wally, (what a memory)

Usually there are quite a few 20+ runs by the better players. But, in their defence, if 14.1 were played more often, 40+ runs would be a norm. When you only play 14.1 maybe once or twice a week, the patterns will not be as easy to see.

My high run is 47, but that was many years ago when all I played was 14.1

KerryM
06-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Ralph,
I think posting the runs you did all in one session is great. I think it would make you a solid "B" player. My high run is 35. I play straight pool (as practice by myself) about 10 times per year, for maybe an hour per session. Any time I run over 25, all my other runs will hover around 10-15 or so. I think in 9-ball I am a B player.
I find that straight pool helps my other games a lot because it really emphasizes concentration and planning, with execution being secondary. Some people might disagree with this statement, but I think if you can stay in line and strategically take the table apart, you rarely have to make to many MONSTER shots. Of course, within the subject of "execution", straight pool strongly emphasizes speed control and small movements, force shots, etc.
I wish I played more!

KerryM

Steve Lipsky
06-21-2003, 02:16 PM
Qtec, I like B just as much as A. I find that with some right-hand english, and a smooth stroke, you spin out to the center of the table with consistency. Note that this is based on B being closer to one end of the rack. If you had set B up where the object ball was almost dead in the middle, I agree with you - it's not a great yielding break shot.

I'll usually begin a game looking for break shots like A. However, if I find that the table is not breaking very well, I'll usually look to switch over to B as often as possible.

- Steve

eg8r
06-21-2003, 05:32 PM
Not bad at all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif In a race to 100, you spot me 95 and you break. We are playing for free. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nice shooting. I have only shot into the 20s like 3 times at most. I still love the game.

eg8r

Fran Crimi
06-21-2003, 06:32 PM
Hey, nice going! That's consistent shooting.

One of my fav. 14.1 players of all time is the Miz. He liked to break the balls open fairly hard and didn't especially like picking off one ball at a time out of the rack. I watched him play quite a lot and he'd almost always leave himself this break shot (I can't remember if he's lefty or righty so I might have the side wrong):

START(
%AM3Y0%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PQ6Y9
)END

His last three balls would look like this rack after rack after rack...play the 8 in the side, follow to the rail. Play the 5 and stop for the 1, and when those balls weren't laid out like that, he'd bump them into position.

START(
%AM3Y2%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EP4Z6%FK6P1%GK6N8%HW5V9%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PS4Q0
)END

Fran

cueball1950
06-21-2003, 08:00 PM
i am confused... all i get is numbers and such when you people try to explain a sahot. am i missing something i forgot to do on my puter. it is impossible to understand what shots you are talking about /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifHelp......mike

Qtec
06-21-2003, 08:11 PM
Steve , I am not a straight pool player [ too boring ]so I can only speak from my own experience . Its all about options .In this position I would play the 1. Even if it stick in the pack or draw with RE to rail A , chances are that I still have a shot .I find that in the beggining you only want to open a few balls at a time. Once you have 10 balls over , a split will almost always leave you a ball .
I dont think I have practiced 14/1 more than 20 times .My high breaks are round about 70. You need a little luck to make high breaks . My snooker high breaks are all in the 90,s so i think a 100 SP is possible . If only it were,nt so boring . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

START(
%AG9N7%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%ED8V8%FK6P1%GK6N8%HD0J6%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PF8T5%QA5O6%WH0P7%X F8T3%YI1Z9
%ZH8O5%[O0N0%\I0O5
)END

Qtec

dg-in-centralpa
06-21-2003, 08:41 PM
I generally play on a bar box, since that is what I have at home. I have two high runs in the mid thirties and several in the mid twenties. Normally I run 15 - 19 balls. I love the game but don't practice it as much as I should.

Rod
06-21-2003, 08:50 PM
It's out of your grasp Mike. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It's seceret code only known buy those with telekinetic powers passed down by Patrick! ha ha ha ha ha!!!

OK here is the deal, copy the code, then past it here in the paste box. wei table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/9egg/)

You can set up a shot there, hit copy and paste the code back here if you want. Thats where the code come from.

Rod

Rod
06-21-2003, 08:54 PM
How did you get those two head balls behind a fresh rack? LOL You got a different way of playing this game? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
06-21-2003, 09:20 PM
Thats why I,m so good ,Rod. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Rod
06-21-2003, 09:33 PM
Was those in a row Ralph? Either way those are good runs and shows you know something about strategy.

START(
%AL6W4%BQ6R2%CJ7O4%DL8N2%EG9M5%FK7P1%GK7N8%HL6P6%I L7O4%JK8M6
%KJ7P7%LJ7N2%MK7Q3%NJ7Q9%OJ7M0%PS1X2%QK5X1%RE7L7%S Q5O8%WK7W6
%XM8W5%[G9M4%\G9N2%]R1R7%^P6R5
)END wei (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/9egg/)

I like to keep near the relationship of the angle on the one ball A. As the one gets closer to the rail the c/b moves over the same amount. Same Idea with B but it should be close to the corner of the rack. I set up C as a side pocket shot still keeping appx the same angle as on the one. It could be a corner pocket shot but the angle gets a little tricky and if you hit the rack wrong, well you might be dead or scratch. Sometimes all you can do is work with what you have. There are a bunch of secondary break shots but you need to know where whitey is going.LOL

Rod

nAz
06-22-2003, 12:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> i am confused... all i get is numbers and such when you people try to explain a sahot. am i missing something i forgot to do on my puter. it is impossible to understand what shots you are talking about /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifHelp......mike <hr /></blockquote>

CueBall its code you need to be able to read it like in the movie the Matrix lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ok what you need to do is to highlite and copy the code below then go here: http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/9egg/ and paste it on the table, it should show you the table lay out that the person is talking about. enjoy /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

START(
%AM3Y2%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EP4Z6%FK6P1%GK6N8%HW5V9%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PS4Q0
)END

06-22-2003, 01:14 AM
Ralph that is just wonderful, good going guy, you see, there is a world out side of 9 ball. When you make your first run of 42, run 3 racks, then you know. Now there is no reason you can run 70 if you hold to those same patterns and hold your concentration tight.
The Ice Mon

nAz
06-22-2003, 01:15 AM
sorry rod did not see your post on the WEI table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW my Hi is around 48 almost 3 years ago.
Now i only average about 6 balls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
i think i could have done a lot better if i practice playing straight more

I'd like to know Steve Lipskys hi run!

Steve Lipsky
06-22-2003, 01:36 AM
Hi Naz. 177, done about a year and a half ago. I won't die a happy man until I run a 200.

Blackjack probably holds the board record, as I think he mentioned he ran something over 200. But he has a few years on me... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Actually, Blackjack, when in your life did you make that run?

- Steve

nAz
06-22-2003, 01:38 AM
Awesome Dude! err was that in a game or practice?

I really got to start playing that game more!

Steve Lipsky
06-22-2003, 01:43 AM
It was in a game, but not a serious one. About nine months ago, I ran 151-and-out in a race to 500 against a strong local player. That one felt good...

- Steve

nAz
06-22-2003, 01:52 AM
once again Awesome! you got game.

how about your 9B hi run?

arn3
06-22-2003, 05:45 AM
those are excellent runs for one night.

if they were run consecutively, i'd say you are at least an A+, and can beat an open player on a bad day. that kind of consistensy should give you a 100 ball run some day.

Ralph S.
06-22-2003, 06:53 AM
I am a far cry from an AorB player. This was in practice and there was two hail-mary type shots like one of the responders asked. Basicaly, I was able to do this by taking my time and concentrating on my stroke as Scott Lee has imbedded in me to do. This helped immensly. Also, this was in practice. I was not playing a match with anyone.

I went back the next day and tried again. I had three runs in the low 20's and one run in the mid 20's. Where I encountered troubles once again was with the break. This I really need to work on. My initial opening break is usually very good as I get a very good scatter of the rack. The following breaks are inconsistent. Some better than others.

As for some saying that I could reach a 70-100 ball run, I need much more work and practice. Those kinds of runs are not likely in the very near future, unfortunately.

One side note. This was played on a bar box, and I know that makes a great difference in the ease of some runs. On a 9'er I wouldnt have done so well I dont think.

I forgot to say thanks for the encouragement. Also, this 14.1 game is very fun and really makes you think more about shot selection.

cheesemouse
06-22-2003, 07:19 AM
Ralph,

You should give yourself a little more credit in the ABC catagory of rating yourself....anyone that gets off these type of runs on any table is playing at an A level especially if it's happening with regularity....14.1 is tough on a barbox size table.

...by the way my high is in the 70's. I only play 14.1 as part of a practice routine...like others I get bored and go for it when I know if I was playing experienced players I would cut the runs off with safety play.....great game to expand your knowledge of pool......keep up the good work...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ralph S.
06-22-2003, 07:30 AM
Hey Cheesemouse, ty for the compliment. I just have a hard time trying to figure where I land at when the rating scale falls. Maybe Scott could give a better indication.

I usually tend to hurt myself due to a more agressive style of play. Keep in mind I am just starting to get into the straight pool a little more regularly. I find it more entertaining than playing the ghost all the time.

arn3
06-22-2003, 12:35 PM
bar box! oh,,,,,,well in that case, you're a C /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif:):)

no really, those are consistant numbers. if it were on a 9'er, those numbers would beat an A. consider, that's a five inning run to 150.

Ralph S.
06-22-2003, 01:06 PM
LOL, thats me, just an average guy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
06-22-2003, 02:28 PM
Hi Ralph,

I think you did great. I never play it anymore but I started playing it when I was 15 and at 16 yrs. old I ran 168. That I can't make again. I tried a few times and I find I lost something. Don't know if it was the yrs. that had gone by or the focus? I'm thinking about the break shots. The last time I played with someone was Tom Karabotsos(sp) and he toasted me. With 60's and 40's so, you done good.

Now, I only hope to make it past 1 game of 9Ball without, falling apart. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~Steve Lipsky is the 14.1 champ here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DSAPOLIS
06-22-2003, 03:11 PM
Steve

My high run is 206. It was done in March 2000 during a benefit to raise money for March of Dimes. People had to donate a dime for every ball I pocketed in 5 attempts at the table (I ran 57, 89, 119,94 &amp; 206). My 206 run ended when I missed a shot that was straight in, about 3 inches from the side pocket. I guess I took my eye off the ball (who knows).

My high runs since then haven't come close to 200. I can consistently put runs of 50-60 balls together, but most of my high runs have occurred when I focus on what I need to do at the table, [not the score -or- how high my current run is]..... it is also important to point out that straight pool requires above average foresight, planning, and decision making.

It is not enough to designate what ball to use as your break ball; you must also plan on how you are going to get the cue ball in position for the break shot. This is where many players end their runs.... they leave a ball close to the pack for a break shot, and then leave themselves a length of the table - reverse cut shot - or no shot at all. I practice setting up my break shots by leaving two balls on the table:
the break ball and one object ball.

I also practice different break shots.... I have some of them diagrammed. Feel free to ask me about them and I will send them to you.

Koenig
06-22-2003, 05:37 PM
But like the Mizī allways said: "donīt select the break ball untill all balls are free" Then save 3 balls 1. The break ball 2. A key ball for the BB 3. A key ball to the KB

START(
%AO0K2%B[3K3%C`1Y8%PV0X0%Q[7^9

)END

My runs are 93, 89, 87 Sure want that century!

Ralph S.
06-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Now thats impressive!!!!!!! 206... If you want to send that Blackjack, it would be appreciated.

cueball1950
06-22-2003, 08:01 PM
hi Steve.. i hate to disagree with you but i believe Mr. ####leonard has a high run over 250. I do not exactly remember. Maybe he will post and let us all know.But i do know he ran 71 on me "left handed". The best ambidextrious player i have ever seen..So what is your high run butch (aka) ####leonard..............................mike

Steve Lipsky
06-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Hi Mike. I'm sure you're right... #### hasn't been posting much, so I didn't think of him when I wrote it, but yeah, his high run is probably way up there. #### has helped me in the past - he really knows his stuff.

Mike, I gotta ask - I noticed in another thread that you asked what the WEI table was. Were you joking? You're one of the veterans of this board!

Anyway, look forward to seeing you in Chesapeake!

- Steve

Qtec
06-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Cueball,
Ronnie O,Sullivan has played pro snooker trns. left and right handed. I remember him , in the middle of a break , he changed from right to left handed for a particular shot and just carried on playing left.He cleared the table , doing fancy shots and long draws, but there was a big hooha.
The other player , who was struggling and could hardly pot a ball ,complained . He saw it as unsporting because it made him look silly .This was just Ronnie , he has played whole tournaments with both hands.
I dont know if you know this , but Ronnie is the most talented snooker player there has ever been .He is awe inspiring !
I cant pot 2 balls with my left arm. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Q

06-22-2003, 10:23 PM
The board high run is 274 by
fast Larry its on his web site.
The Ice mon

06-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Dear Steve, 150's and out are extremely rare and to perform that you are a extremely gifted and wonderful world class player, bravo miaestro, a fantastic achievement. The Ice Mon, you wanted me shoot craps one night for $100 a toss at the riveria. I made you, you did not make me. I waz red hot until the fat chick with you walks up and grabes the bones out of my hands and rolls, I got pissed and left.
The Ice mon
The Ice mon

cueball1950
06-22-2003, 10:45 PM
i believe ####leonards is still higher. Hopefully he will post here and give me the correct number.......Mike

Hopster
06-23-2003, 12:55 AM
Those are some good numbers Ralph. My highest was only 30 and i remember getting to 25 and my heart started beating louder. I kid you not. I only play twice a week, three times if im lucky, time permitting but i know im going to get something good one day. I keep finding a thing here a thing there to improve my mechanics so hopefully i will get it half right one day.
I put up a lot of numbers in the teens and twenties but i always find a way to get in trouble. lol

eg8r
06-23-2003, 07:08 AM
Larry is not on the board. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eg8r

tateuts
06-23-2003, 12:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> Steve

My high run is 206. It was done in March 2000 during a benefit to raise money for March of Dimes. People had to donate a dime for every ball I pocketed in 5 attempts at the table (I ran 57, 89, 119,94 &amp; 206). <hr /></blockquote>

David,

Do you get "brain drain" after a high run?

After careful consideration, I have decided not to play straight pool with you.

Chris

dmgwalsh
06-23-2003, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr> Steve

It is not enough to designate what ball to use as your break ball; you must also plan on how you are going to get the cue ball in position for the break shot. This is where many players end their runs.... they leave a ball close to the pack for a break shot, and then leave themselves a length of the table - reverse cut shot - or no shot at all. I practice setting up my break shots by leaving two balls on the table:
the break ball and one object ball.

I also practice different break shots.... I have some of them diagrammed. Feel free to ask me about them and I will send them to you.
<hr /></blockquote>

I'd be interested in looking at some of these break shots.

#### leonard
06-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Mike my high Run is 323, I ran 200 or better many times. I have posted running that many balls is a bigger high than making love to a beauiful women. I was the only player ever to run 150 and out on Joe Canton, who played Mosconi,Crane,Caras etc during his tournament days. I have run over 100 playing lefthanded. Ralph Laurella, owner of the poolroom in Hudson, Ny when he saw me switch to left handed couldn't stop talking about how I was the first of all the players to come thru his room that he couldn't tell if I was a lefty or a righty.

I had Paul Dayton [the great cuemaker] quit playing me at 100 to 40. So I asked him how he would play me if I played him left hand. He said 100 to 75 and the game was on. I ran 42 my first shot, safety, 28 my next shot safety and Paul quit of course I let him off the hook.####

Steve Lipsky
06-23-2003, 01:23 PM
####, do you have any video of some of your games? I think it'd be a blast to watch, especially if you start switching hands!

- Steve

#### leonard
06-24-2003, 07:06 AM
Qtec according to my family Physician/friend who I played pool with for years. If I had a stroke I would walk off the operating room table. That is how far my left side was developed, I think Ronnie would too if he plays as well as you say.####

Steve Lipsky
06-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Hey Chris! Are we gonna get together during the US Open and play some? I can't wait to "meet" you!

- Steve

Chris Cass
06-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Hi David,

So, you finally posted something without sounding your all that. I took your advice and post very good. Thanks, I think you found my problem in my straight pool game. You are officially in my club. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Not that that's so special but thanks anyway. LOL

C.C.~~206 in very impressive. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-24-2003, 11:46 AM
####,

You'll always be #1 with me and I bet you can top the 323 too.

Regards,

C.C.

Kato
06-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Better watch out Steve, Cassman looks like he's starting to get stronger!!!!!

Would love to sweat a Chris Cass vs Steve Lipsky vs Wally in Hillbilly Land matchup. Winner buys me a beer, loser buys me 2, Wally picks up the tab /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato~~~~http://216.40.249.192/s/otn/blobs/grn_md_wht.gif

Chris Cass
06-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Can't wait to meet you too Steve. Very happy to see you posting. Play some in Va.? You'll kill me. I'm recovering you know. All the same I would find it an honor. Besides, I hear you have an awesome stroke. I've been told mine is a cross between Efrin and Parica, but he was drunk when he said it. HAHAHAHAHA

Can't wait either. Your friend,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif