PDA

View Full Version : Whacking At The 9

Sid_Vicious
06-21-2003, 11:17 AM
I play mostly local leagues and tournaments besides the relentless play time I spend having fun, and I've noticed that there is a time in 9-ball to, take a whack at riding the 9. I do not seem to see this used by extra strong players(they either stay in line or manufacture something), nor does appear that an evolvin"B-going-to-A" players use the opportunity. I hadn't used the tactic of putting the 9 in orbit up until recently, and now I find that at the local level, whacking for a luck shot in a cluster containing the 9 yields rewards many times. Do you play for secondary break-shots into clusters when you have something tied up along the rail, like the next ball in rotation? When else will you possibly load up and smack a cluster in 9-ball?

Sid

The Watchdog
06-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Hard to respond to someone else's choices in the game, for then it would be my game rather than yours. However, my advice is to have faith. As your game progresses, if you stick with it, these choices will become apparent to you. Some people are able to take shortcuts in this respect, and others cannot. Pool is a game of trial and error, so the progress comes from trying and failing. If you try and fail 50 times out of 50, chances are you will learn to choose a different option.

Most players will not "ride the 9", for in changing the balls positions, you are never guaranteed the result you expect. The goal on any shot is to be firmly decided in what you are trying to do. Then after the shot you can compare what actually happened with what you attempted. Too many players "poke and hope" so they learn nothing for they had no goal in mind, from which to guage the results.

06-21-2003, 01:20 PM
Sid,

I'm with you on that one, so long as I'm playing another C player. If I don't see a runout or an easy safe, might as well go for it. Might not even be a luck shot, but just an extremely unlikely combo, and yet they tend to fall once or twice a set.

highsea
06-21-2003, 01:52 PM
I play a guy who shoots the 9 on every shot. He will shoot a combo, a carem, whatever. He never tries the runout. It can be pretty frustrating, because the balls get mixed up every inning. If he can't get to the 9 somehow, he just hauls off and wails away. The only time he will shoot the OB is if it gets him in a position to take a shot at the 9.

-CM

nAz
06-21-2003, 02:50 PM
I ride the nine from time to time, but usually if I'm far ahead in the set or if I'm dared to do it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

06-21-2003, 04:04 PM
I guess whacking at the nine might have its pay off; but I'm an optimist and every situation is solvable. Who says you gotta run the rack at every visit?

There are ways to win and there are ways TO WIN! When you can muster up all your hard earned experience, mental dominance and beat your oponent on your own controlled accord, then IMHO the game is worth the win.

fti

dg-in-centralpa
06-21-2003, 04:17 PM
When my town had a 9 ball league, I always went for the run out. It was worth $20. I lost quite a few games to whackers. Oh well... it didn't matter how the 9 went, just so it went.

Terry
06-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Hi Sid, when I see somebody riding the nine or any other ball I know they 're in trouble. terry

stickman
06-21-2003, 08:55 PM
A fellow that I used to play with had an uncanny ability to ride the nine. He slopped it in so often that many players refused to play with him. I'm good enough to know a planned shot from a lucky shot, and this guy just banged away and got lucky very often. Sure, I'll shoot a carom shot, or a combo on the nine when the opportunity presents itself. This guy rode the nine on nearly every shot, even if he had an easy runout. What was frustrating was that he was good enough to run out often, but would mostly ride the nine. He would slam the balls and the nine often found a hole. We played a lot of ring games, and everyone rode his a$$ about this tactic. Some refused to play him unless he played straight pool rather than slop. The sad part was that he was a good shooter, but nobody could argue that his riding the nine wasn't successful.

Rod
06-21-2003, 09:38 PM
Sid,
I admit it, I have taken a pop at the nine or a cluster of balls if I think there is a chance. However not playing heads up. I might do that in a ring game though, cause there ain't no safes it's all offense. Ya-Hoo !!!

Rod

GreenLion
06-21-2003, 10:22 PM
I would only do this if i truely thought my opponent could not run out.Any other time i would go for the runout.

shoot2thrill
06-21-2003, 11:29 PM
I would like to put my two cents worth in on this topicI have worked very hard on my pool game and and I am (sl 7}in the apa everytime I play I try to learn something new banging teaches nothing .when you get hooked bang the balls. accu-stats video has got mosconi in an interview saying 9-ball is for TV and its not really pool you hit hard they go in .. he's right !! 8-ball you have to think your way through if you bump balls most of the time it cost you the run out.in stright pool you have to think I myself prefer 8-ball ..how ever 9-ball on a high level is a beautiful game to watch and play but not on a bangers level.if i could change any rule in the APA it would be a call shot game. as well as three foul rule over a skill level 5. I don't mean to piss off all the 9-ball players this is just one mans two cents worth big jim

Ralph S.
06-22-2003, 07:02 AM
If the opportunity and/or time is appropriate, I will ride the nine. Sometimes options become so limited that riding the nine becomes a best option.

Terry
06-22-2003, 07:09 AM
Hi Sid, when i'm playing someone in a tournament that doesn't have a lot of ability, I expect them to be riding the nine. When i'm playing someone that does have ability and their riding the nine I know they had lost their confidence /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Terry

Sid_Vicious
06-22-2003, 10:41 AM
"A fellow that I used to play with had an uncanny ability to ride the nine.........The sad part was that he was a good shooter, but nobody could argue
that his riding the nine wasn't successful."

I play that guy every Saturday, and have a lot of fun watching him defy the odds and yet make things happen with his slammer-jammer game. I cringe a little when I'm staring at him on the hill with as cluster as an option cuz 7-10 times hes gonna make something fall and most of the time get out from there as well. Damndest thing I've seen!!!sid

tateuts
06-22-2003, 11:16 AM
Buffalo Bill, a local Hustler from Mother's used to announce:

"When in doubt, ride the nine!" right before he would slop in.

You want to make sure there are a lot of balls on the table when you do it.

Chris

sneakypapi
06-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Quote: Ralph ...."If the opportunity and/or time is appropriate, I will ride the nine. Sometimes options become so limited that riding the nine becomes a best option."

Options limited in 9 ball? Hum, that makes me think about the whole point of nine ball which is not just making balls, but you have to play a good SAFETY GAME as well in order to win or just survive against a much better player. I hate playing a nine ball game against someone who has no concept on how to play the right way especially "riding the nine" type players. That type of play will frustrate you and will make it harder for you to develop a better game watching balls flying on the table. Hey, I go to tournaments and lose against better players, but I definitely don't bang away and if I do try to play a safety and it doesn't work out hopefully next time I will learn from my mistakes.

L.S. Dennis
06-23-2003, 11:58 AM
"Nineball John Hayes" has won many a game by employing this tactic!

Really makes me long for "Grady's Rules"!

Aboo
06-23-2003, 12:09 PM
If it wasn't meant to be possible, then they wouldn't allow it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif 9-ball, if your fairly decent, is 80% luck anyway. 15% skill on the break. And 5% determination.
If a pro makes a ball on the break, they're out. If an sl7 makes a ball on the break, they're out. It's a run-out game, the luck factor is what makes it fun for bangers to play and watch. Because they can believe that they might beat Efren, even if they had to "ride the nine" to do it /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif