PDA

View Full Version : Tour Ideas Needed !

MikeJanis
06-22-2003, 01:55 AM
I Posted this in the AZbilliards main forum. Please post any respones in that forum.

-------------------------------------------------
Hello everyone. I'm Mike Janis from the Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour.

I am looking for some ideas on how to make our great sport better for everyone.

Here is my dilemma. I'm trying to figure out a way to combine the existing regional tours into one big one. Or at least for now, I'm trying to figure out how we (the different tours) could work together to make things better for everyone.

I welcome any suggestions or constructive comments.

Some of the current issues I have encountered........

Each tour has a different title sponsor and we don't want to alienate anyone. Especially the sponsors.

Each tour has a tour card fee and/or other fees that we don't want to share with each other because it helps fund the operation of each tour.

Each tour operates in a different region.

And the biggest problem is... How exactly will the non-professional players benefit from the regional tours working together?

I look forward to any and all Ideas.

Mike Janis
President / Founder
The Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour

nAz
06-22-2003, 02:09 AM
Hello Mike I am not involved in the game much but i would like to see more tours visit my area, NYC. I understand the Joss tour stops by here but I believe its only once a year, and I do not like to drive more then an hour to see it or any other tour.

Also I would enjoy watching the Pros play something other then 9B all the time, maybe some 8B or short races of 1pocket in a round robin format.

good luck /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooldaddy9
06-22-2003, 04:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>
Also I would enjoy watching the Pros play something other then 9B all the time, maybe some 8B or short races of 1pocket in a round robin format.

good luck /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I would like to see games other than 9-ball also and in the SC area.

Ralph S.
06-22-2003, 08:14 AM
A stop in the Ft.Wayne, IN. area would be real nice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ceebee
06-22-2003, 09:59 AM
...every Major Golf or Tennis Tournament starts off with a Pro-Am, the day prior to the Tournament start date. Maybe a Pro-Am Scotch Doubles (blind draw) would generate some enthusiasm.

Each Amatuer would have to present a Handicap Rating Card (just like in Golf) from his local Pool Room (that should belong to a National Pocket Billiards Association). All Pros would be rated 11's. Add the Pro's rating to the Amatuer's rating, to decide if there's any handicapping to be done between the 2 teams in any match. That would allow for a lower rated player to feel welcome in the Tournament.

Just imagine some 4 speed shooting behind EARL... Earl gives him/her a 15 inch stop shot to continue the Run &amp; the 4 speed fires it in with 3 foot of DRAW.... WOWEE-ZOWEE.... THAT OUGHTA BE FUN.

By the way... the Amatuers have to pay for the privilege of playing with the Pro. Start things off with a $100 entry fee. Add in a Calcutta (or a Team auction if you want to call it that) &amp; let the fun begin.

HOLLER WHEN THINGS GET GOING, I WANNA PLAY... CB

eg8r
06-22-2003, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I Posted this in the AZbilliards main forum. Please post any respones in that forum. <hr /></blockquote> Why in the heck would you make this statement. If you have the time to come here and post then come back to read.

eg8r

#### leonard
06-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Mike: Wachovia Bank started sponsoring a Golf Tournament and in one day had the 1300 volunteers it takes to run a Tournament. The GolfChannel.com had stories on their preparing to Sponsor a Golf Tourney. I wrote 40 years ago that we should copy what the Golfers are doing having tourneys for charities. 40 years later were still in the Dark Ages.

Many tournaments were dropped because they couldn't meet the tourneys new prize schedule. Those areas would have been prime for a Pool trial ballon.

When you mention taking pool out of the pool halls and putting it in Country Clubs, most poolplayers give you a blank stare like your crazy.

I know this there are no Corporate Sponsors hanging around pool halls. They are in the Golf Clubs.

I agonize.####

cheesemouse
06-22-2003, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeJanis:</font><hr> I Posted this in the AZbilliards main forum. Please post any respones in that forum.

-------------------------------------------------
Hello everyone. I'm Mike Janis from the Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour.

I am looking for some ideas on how to make our great sport better for everyone.

Here is my dilemma. I'm trying to figure out a way to combine the existing regional tours into one big one. Or at least for now, I'm trying to figure out how we (the different tours) could work together to make things better for everyone.

I welcome any suggestions or constructive comments.

Some of the current issues I have encountered........

Each tour has a different title sponsor and we don't want to alienate anyone. Especially the sponsors.

Each tour has a tour card fee and/or other fees that we don't want to share with each other because it helps fund the operation of each tour.

Each tour operates in a different region.

And the biggest problem is... How exactly will the non-professional players benefit from the regional tours working together?

I look forward to any and all Ideas.

Mike Janis
President / Founder
The Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour

<hr /></blockquote>

I was thinking that a beginning for your different tours would be to have a year ending challenge tournament. Each tour would send 4/8 members of they're top finishers as a team too a clash of the mini-tours where the battle of the tours would take place.....money, bragging rights or whatever you can come up with.....maybe it would generate some pride in the regional tours, you know, where is the best pool being played type stuff???????? It could be like a traveling trophy and the winner from one year would host it the next year. You would all remain seperate but kind of connected at this one event....JAT

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

tateuts
06-22-2003, 11:44 AM
Mike,

If you want our advice, I'm afraid you're going to have to come back to BBC.

Given the parameters you've outlined, it would be difficult to integrate the regionals.

My suggestion would be to instead treat the regional tours as divions in a league, unifying the rules and formats, with the integration aspect coming in the form of a playoffs and championships series under the unified banner.

Would there be interest in pitting the Joss champion versus the Viking champion versus the Pechauer champion? I think there would be.

Chris

tateuts
06-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Cheesemouse,

Talk about thinking alike! Our two posts hit the forum at exactly the same time!

Chris

cheesemouse
06-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Geez,

I didn't think there was another great mind out there.....LOL....LOL... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
06-22-2003, 01:15 PM
LOL, the scientific facts lend credence to mice being fairly smart creatures. How about Cheesemouse for admittence to "Who's Who?" and "Mensa". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
06-22-2003, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> ???

eg8r

cueball1950
06-22-2003, 08:16 PM
I agree with the cheese on this one. Talk to Mike Zugland from the joss tour and tommy kennedy from the fla tour. and whoever else runs a tour and get however many top 8 or 12 layers together to make either a 32 or 64 man field, and find a major sponsor (the real problem) or several of your own,ie: viking, joss, pechauer to post up the prize money and hold it in a neutral place and rotate it every year to the involved tours local area. I believe that is what Charlie Williams did last year between the Joss and The fla. tours. It was a great idea. Why he changed it is beyond me. Besides i do not think he would have rotated it. He was asked to bring it north this year and he changed it to invitees only...........Mike

tateuts
06-22-2003, 09:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
<hr /></blockquote> ???

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

CCB - sorry Gator! BBC is still showing reruns of Benny Hill I bet.

Chris

eg8r
06-22-2003, 10:18 PM
LOL, boring. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

#### leonard
06-23-2003, 07:06 AM
Gee I forgot to end my post with my favorite saying "Pools for Fools".####