PDA

View Full Version : EU adopts tough-guy tactics to rival US

nAz
06-22-2003, 11:06 PM
Welcome aboard Qtec /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

June 21 2003

The European Union has embraced a new doctrine of hard-nosed military intervention around the world. Outlining the EU's ambition to match the United States as a full economic and military superpower and facing up to the threat of terrorism, EU leaders meeting in Greece on Thursday ditched their strategy of "soft power".

Instead, they favoured a more muscular mix, including pre-emptive strikes against dangerous regimes if necessary.

The text, agreed by EU leaders at dinner on Thursday in the resort of Porto Carras, said the EU could no longer rely on static "Cold War" defence against terrorists determined to use "unlimited violence and cause massive casualties".

"Proliferation of weapons of mass destruction is the single most important threat to peace and security among nations," said the text, drafted by Javier Solana, the EU's security chief.

"The new threats are dynamic. Left alone, terrorist networks will become ever more dangerous. We should have tackled al- Qaeda much earlier.

"This implies that we should be ready to act before a crisis occurs," Mr Solana said.

"As a union of 25 states with more than 450 million people producing a quarter of the world's gross national product, the EU is, like it or not, a global actor - it should be ready to share in the responsibility for global security."

EU leaders at the meeting are also likely to match a US initiative to combat AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.

A draft statement urged member states and the European Commission "to make a substantial contribution" to a global fund to fight HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. EU contributions to the fund are expected to reach US1 billion [$1.48 billion] by next year.

Pressing economic issues, however, have been deferred. The EU postponed talks on reforming its crippling system of farm subsidies until next week.

The Telegraph, London; Reuters

eg8r
06-23-2003, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
, EU leaders meeting in Greece on Thursday ditched their strategy of "soft power".

Instead, they favoured a more muscular mix, including pre-emptive strikes against dangerous regimes if necessary.
<hr /></blockquote> Does this mean they might have to start building some more weapons and maybe increase defense spending. Q might be pulling his hair out trying to get that question answered.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
06-23-2003, 07:12 AM
About time they started pulling the wagon instead of sitting in it.

Wally~~imagining the ferocity of the Dutch army /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Qtec
06-23-2003, 07:41 AM
What,s your source .? Did eg8r write this for you to post ? I have not heard anything of this .

Q

Ross
06-23-2003, 09:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> What,s your source .? Did eg8r write this for you to post ? I have not heard anything of this .

Q <hr /></blockquote>

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/06/20/1055828495848.html

pretty amazing, actually

Qtec
06-23-2003, 10:01 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/06/17/wiran17.xml

Compare the two .
Q

eg8r
06-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Boy isn't this funny. Ole q is worried about a source. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I told you he would not be happy. Once again, Q forgot to read the important part, and asked a wonderful question. Go back to Naz's post and you will see the source.

eg8r

Kato
06-23-2003, 11:02 AM
The Dutch army vs. the Rhode Island National Guard in a fight to the death. Anybody know the odds on that fight?

Kato~~~just funnin' on the Dutch. I'm sure they could whip France's butt.

nAz
06-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Hey Qtec I believe the source is the The London Telegraph.

Qtec
06-23-2003, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean they might have to start building some more weapons and maybe increase defense spending. Q might be pulling his hair out trying to get that question answered <hr /></blockquote>

Is the world a safer place because of Iraq .??

This whole article is the EU backing the US over Iran . Nodody wants nuclear weapons in the middle east .Except for Israel of course . We dont want you making any more problems by attacking Iran .That is why we are getting tough.

The only way to prevent the USA from leaving a trail of desruction acsoss the ME is for the EU to work together. .

Q

Qtec
06-23-2003, 11:46 AM
From the same article .

[ QUOTE ]
Startled by the unforgiving mood in Washington, Paris is keen to reassert itself as a dependable ally and a credible player on the world stage.

Charles Grant, director of the Centre for European Reform, said the French share CIA assessments that Iran is two or three years away from developing nuclear weapons.

"The French have always been tough on weapons of mass destruction. The problem over Iraq was not about the use of force but about letting the US attack whenever it felt like it, without authorisation," he said.

"The German position was quite different, since Berlin was against the use of force on principle
<hr /></blockquote>

Note . A pre-emptive stike can ONLY happen with the FULL backing of the UN.

Q

highsea
06-23-2003, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
Is the world a safer place because of Iraq .??
<font color="blue"> I think once a democratic government is in place, Iraq will be a safer place for Iraqis than it was with Saddam. And yes, I think that overall, the world is a little safer. Frankly, the job of the US gov't is to make the world a safer place for Americans. </font color>

This whole article is the EU backing the US over Iran . Nodody wants nuclear weapons in the middle east .Except for Israel of course . We dont want you making any more problems by attacking Iran .That is why we are getting tough.
<font color="blue"> Iran's nuclear technology came primarily from France and Germany. The problems you are trying to avoid are problems for the EU, not Iran. (oil supply) </font color>

The only way to prevent the USA from leaving a trail of desruction acsoss the ME is for the EU to work together. .
<font color="blue"> I agree, we should be working together, and the enemy is terrorism. Iran and Syria are two of the biggest offenders in supporting terrorism. If changes are effected in those countries, the rest of the Arab world would be able to implement reforms that much easier.

Look at the unrest in Iran right now, The people of Iran see that they have our attention, so the protests against the gov't are getting louder and louder. They want a democratic gov't, not a dictatorship of religious extremists. </font color>

Q <hr /></blockquote>

This "new" position by the EU, (read France and Germany) strikes me as purely motivated by $$$. Considering the Euoropean dependence on Mideast oil, GW's latest saber rattling at Iran must have their economists in a complete tizzy.

The EU is in a tiff, because the US has frozen them out of Iraq for nor supporting us against Saddam. The fear is that GW will go into Iran, and if the EU fails to support us, the same thing will happen there also.

This new "policy" is nothing but lip service intended to pacify Washington. If we do go into Iran, (and I hope we don't), I predict the EU will BEHIND us all the way, simply to protect their own economy.

-CM

eg8r
06-23-2003, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the world a safer place because of Iraq .?? <hr /></blockquote> It is a safer place now that Saddam is not in control. Why is that so hard to understand?

[ QUOTE ]
Nodody wants nuclear weapons in the middle east .Except for Israel of course . We dont want you making any more problems by attacking Iran .That is why we are getting tough. <hr /></blockquote> You said, you, just clear this up, I will not be over there fighting. You are safe. I have seen me shoot a gun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif As far as the EU getting tough, I think it is more CYA than you are giving them credit.

[ QUOTE ]
The only way to prevent the USA from leaving a trail of desruction acsoss the ME is for the EU to work together. . <hr /></blockquote> Quite backwards thinking again. The only way the EU can prevent that is for the EU to police themselves. Right now they are not doing that. Quite embarassing for the US to have to go in and clean up a mess the EU should have taken care of first.

eg8r