PDA

View Full Version : A Drunk

MaineEAck
03-30-2002, 10:47 AM
I have been meaning to post about this, but I forgot until it happened again. There is a drunk guy who comes into my local room on some weekends, he can't run 3 balls in a row and has a ton of money, he nags me to play $10.00 sets, and the money is no issue, as I earn all my money and my folks say if I earn it I can spend it on what I want, which I think is good. So anyway, I always rob him for $60 or $70 and the only spot he will take is all the breaks in a race to 5. He has not won a set since we started playing, and I have taken a lot from him. He never gets mad for losing, he just comes back next week, I will never bet a lot, just in case he is dogging me, but he is doing a real good job if he is!! Haha anyway, am I doing something wrong? Should I not play him? Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris Cass
03-30-2002, 10:59 AM
Hi Jordan,
Good question. I think inside you already know. Don't worry though, it won't last forever.
Regards,
C.C.

cheesemouse
03-30-2002, 10:59 AM
MaineEack,
By all means make hay while the sunshines. Later in life it will be one of the pool storys your grand kids will be enthralled with.

MaineEAck
03-30-2002, 11:02 AM
ok, thanks guys, I felt so bad, I almost sold him my first sneaky pete for $60. Until some other guy says I will give you $100.00 for it! Then It was sold HAHA anyway, Thanks for the advice guys!

Rich R.
03-30-2002, 12:03 PM
Jordan, it is he who is pursuing you to play and you implied that you try to give him a larger spot . You have also kept the bet reasonable. I don't think there is anything more you can do to be fair to this guy. If you really feel guilty, stop playing him. Otherwise, think of him as a major contributor to you college fund. Of course, it would be nice if some of that cash found it's way to the college fund. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Rich R.~~~ "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Q-guy
03-30-2002, 12:12 PM
It has nothing to do with pool, it is a moral issue. I am sure you will find plenty of people that will tell you what you want to hear, and that will be the advice you will most likely take. But don't delude yourself in thinking you are some kind of hustler or player though. Even if he is the one asking you to play, you are just taking advantage of a sick man.

TomBrooklyn
03-30-2002, 12:12 PM
Jordon,
Unless he is retarded or mentally incompetent, in which case QGuys response would apply, I'm pretty sure this chap just enjoys playing pool with you and is happy with the challenge the way it is set up. I would just continue to be the way you are with him because he enjoys your company and comraderie on the table. Just put some of that money aside in case he gets better and starts winning. It wouldn't be nice to quit on him too soon. However, I have a feeling he doesn't want your money anyway.

<font color=purple>A Guy Who Used To Pay For Nothing
I know of an HVAC contractor, lets call him Fred, who started getting calls from a customer about once a month to have his air conditioner or heating system looked at. The customer was an elderly retired man. He used to work as a general handiman and had some HVAC experience himself, but he claimed he was too old to be working on his own systems at that stage in his life. A technician would be dispatched to his house, and could never find anything wrong, but the customer always paid for the service call without complaint.

Eventually, Fred became curious and the next time the customer called, he went on the service call himself. Again he found nothing wrong. However, the customer was quite interested in Fred's diagnostic techniques and engaged him in conversation the whole time he was there. They talked about the HVAC business and a variety of other things. After a while, Fred realized that this customer knew there was nothing wrong with his HVAC system. Most of his family and friends had either passed or moved away. He was just lonely and wanted company, and he enjoyed talking with someone who worked in the same field as he used to. After that, Fred began visiting with the fellow from time to time. They became good friends and Fred spent many an hour learning about old boilers and the way the old steam workers used to do things. Fred got more out of being friends with this fellow then he ever could from the profit of an occasional service call, and they remained freinds for a long time.</font color=purple>

Now your situation may not be exactly the same as Freds; but I suspect it may not be completely different either. You should use your best judgement about how you handle it. Just be decent and fair with the guy, I think that's all he expects.

stickman
03-30-2002, 12:53 PM
I'm not a drunk, but maybe a sap, at least in some eyes. (Not my own) For years now I've played a friend for small wagers, knowing full well the chances of my winning was very slim indeed. The old saying "Don't gamble what you can't afford to loose" applies. I used to have a very good job and set aside a portion for my weekly lessons. The same folks that would spend $100.00 or more on a weekend drinking binge might tell me I was crazy, but I just considered the source. A fun night might cost me $40.00 and I didn't have a headache the next day. Occasionally, I might break even. I don't get to play him as much as I used to. (Refer to the old saying) If I don't play him, there are others lining up to. He has tought me a lot and I consider him a friend. I don't feel taken advantage of either.

Q-guy
03-30-2002, 02:24 PM
I am curious, would you say his bad play is due to being drunk, (your words)? Would you say his willingness to play and lose is due to him being drunk? Have you ever played him when he was not drinking, and does he still exhibit the same inhibition to losing money? Would you play him if he were not drinking? He loses $60. or $80. Every time you play. What is the max you would be willing to lose, or could lose to him if the game started going his way?

Q-guy
03-30-2002, 02:29 PM
You might be surprised if you began winning, this guy is not the sport you are. You lose a dozen times and never say a word. The first time you beat him he may begin bitching and throwing his cue. I have seen it a thousands times. You would just like to think he is the same good sport you are. From my experience, I bet he is not.

stickman
03-30-2002, 03:21 PM
He's not on top of his game lately, and I've seen him loose his share. Still a good sport. He hates to loose, but who doesn't. He gets mad at himself, but I've never seen him get mad at an opponent.

Q-guy
03-30-2002, 04:25 PM
Glad to hear your friend knows how to lose also. I used to run around with a guy that was the worst loser I ever saw. This guy could really play also. He could not control himself. There was a guy began coming around and John (my friend) and I were both playing him. We had each beaten this guy out of a lot. One night he got John stuck maybe two or three hundred and John began to carry on. Now mind you, John has beaten him for over $5000. in the last few weeks. This is the first time John was on the losing end and when the guy saw his act, he never played him again. He was really offended by Johns actions, especially since he has been losing and not saying a word. What he learned was, he was playing a guy that was happy to take his money, but not willing to lose himself, and players like that you steer clear of. He played me a few more times but soon disappeared.

stickman
03-30-2002, 05:07 PM
I guess this is why I consider him a friend. When you beat him, he genuinely congratulates you, and may even offer suggestions to help you. He's very much a pool enthusiast.

Ralph S.
03-31-2002, 02:19 AM
Jordan, I would like to say that I agree with Qguy that the man is sick. You mentioned that he is drunk everytime he comes in the hall wanting to play. This tells me one thing right away, he is most likely an alcoholic. I know how easy an alcoholic can be taken advantage of because my father is a hardcore alcoholic. I advise you to be careful though from the standpoint that an alcoholic can be like a bomb waiting to explode. You are coming of the age where the kind of decisions you make will show what kind of person you will be when you reach adulthood. He may become a very good friend , or not. Just keep your guard up. And give some thought about your self integrity should you let the situation continue as is.
respectfully, Ralph S.

cheesemouse
03-31-2002, 07:56 AM
MaineEAck,
Q-guy makes a good point here.After reading all these posts I have to, in good conscience, ask you some quailifing questions; being that you are a youngman and, perhaps, don't have the same associations with the word 'drunk' that some of us more experienced posters have: can this guy chalk his tip, does he miscue once a game, does he drink booze while he plays you, does he remain pleasant and most of all do you feel like a thief after you play him?
As a player I despise and scorn players who seek out these types of drunks, as you call them, in-order to win moneys from them.

stickman
03-31-2002, 08:17 AM
Even though I pointed out another viewpoint, there is one thing about your post that bothers me. You say that you ROB him. That and the fact that you are asking about it indicates to me that you don't feel good about it. If you don't feel good about something, more than likely the little voice in your head is telling you it is wrong. Always listen to that little voice. Regardless of what anyone else thinks of you, you must think highly of yourself. To do less is self destructive.

BillPorter
03-31-2002, 08:49 AM
Stickman, I agree with your post. The fact that Jordan is asking whether it is moral suggests that he doubts that it is moral. We have all seen this situation; a player who "gambles" again and again, often with the same opponent, and literally never wins a dime. This isn't gambling, it's something else. Maybe self-punishment. As stickman says, listen to the "still smal voice." It never lies.

MaineEAck
03-31-2002, 09:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cheesemouse:</font><hr> MaineEAck,
Q-guy makes a good point here.After reading all these posts I have to, in good conscience, ask you some quailifing questions; being that you are a youngman and, perhaps, don't have the same associations with the word 'drunk' that some of us more experienced posters have: can this guy chalk his tip, does he miscue once a game, does he drink booze while he plays you, does he remain pleasant and most of all do you feel like a thief after you play him?
As a player I despise and scorn players who seek out these types of drunks, as you call them, in-order to win moneys from them. <hr></blockquote>

ok, ok my fault, He is not allowed to drink at the poolhall they cut him off a long time ago. but I just think he is drunk b/c he can't win and he always plays, he does smoke pot all the time, he doesn't miscue, he just can't run more then 3 or 4 balls! sorry my bad.

Q-guy
03-31-2002, 10:36 AM
Were you looking for validation when asking the question? I am still curious to the answers to the questions I asked you in my other post.

MaineEAck
03-31-2002, 04:24 PM
go back and read the first post I said He never gets mad for losing

Tom_In_Cincy
03-31-2002, 04:31 PM
Would you feel any different if the guy were sober? would you always take his money? What if he were just trying to improve his game by paying for some lessons?
Have you ever thought to ask him why he plays you?
Have you ever thought about lowering the bet?

Life is too short to keep doing something over and over that you do not feel "right" about. Answer some questions for yourself..

Chris Cass
03-31-2002, 05:12 PM
Hi Tom,
You've stated some good questions. I had a guy that gave me the 7 ball for some $100. sets and lost 3 sets to me. The guys a shooter and sober for sure. I was clueless to why he'd think he could give me the 7 and win. I later heard he took off a $1700. tourney and I was the one to put him in gear for the event.

Last nite I went to a tourney and while waiting for a match a guy asked if I'd play him some 9ball out of the stands. Loud enough for his friends to hear. I said sure, not offering how much the guy racks and says, is $10.00 ok? I said sure. I broke and ran 2 racks. The 3rd rack I broke and got hooked. I pushed out and he kicked, slopping a ball in and ran out. He broke and missed the one ball. I ran out. He throws me $20. and says, I can play after missing, that easy one ball. I said I don't blame ya. He said, atleast I fired 2 barrels, right?

He went up into the stands again by his friends and said well, atleast I fired at him. Why don't you, to his friend. His friend said, no way. He said, then how bought playing me some 9? The guy got action for $20. a game for some easy money. LOL I think he set it up.

Some people also feel the need to offer to play someone better and atleast offer them a chance to make some money to either induce pressure or atleast not to waist the time of the better player and play for something. Like paying for someones time.

For what ever reason someone plays for as long as it's not a issue of mentality, it's their secret. The main thing about gambling is not to let the reasons for playing effect your game.

He shouldn't question it but just play. If the guy is not mentally fit then, he's probably just paying for his time. I'll play for nothing but I do like to put a little something on it, just for fun. It to me makes it more interesting. Ones persons fun money is not like anothers. There's guys that bet $1000. a roll of the dice. Buy in for a car. When asked what he did for a living? The guy replied, I own a car dealership. $10.00 is not fun enough for him.

Regards,
C.C.~~probably could have written this piece with less words.........LOL

rackmup
03-31-2002, 09:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Should I not play him? Thanks in advance for any help!<hr></blockquote>

HELL NO JORDAN! YOU'RE NOT DOING THE RIGHT THING!

The "right" thing is to provide us (some of the guys/gals here on the CCB) with the room he plays at, what time he arrives and WHAT HIS FAVORITE BOOZE IS.

Regards,

Ken

03-31-2002, 11:41 PM
Jordan, what is it about you? I happen to know from watching you in VF that you play absolutely awesome for a 15 year-old. Yet a while back you post about a certain room owner that continues to put you in a C player tourney you clearly don't belong in which you easily win - is that gig still going on? Now you post that you have a intoxicated sucker that can't play a lick (relative to you) who continually comes back time after time to donate his money to you. You must really be a likeable young man to have such good fortune.

Jordan, you need to be really careful to not think that it will always come this easy for you - and I think you know that. Alot of people are really impressed and influenced by such a young man (no disrespect intended but IMO you look younger than your age) that can play pool at the level you do. This makes you a real potential target for various characters to strike up a friendship with you for the sole intention of eventually using you and staking you in various money games - for their benefit. Jordan, in a few more years (if you don't make the right decisions) you might be nothing special - just another young hotshot player potentially throwing away his life's future by playing pool. This is not to say you can't get a lifetime of enjoyment out of the sport we love or possibly even make it a legitimate career if you really wish to - but just be aware of how tough a life and how big a longshot that truly is.

As another poster said, the fact that you share these things on the CCB is an indicator that you have a conscience, you question whether this is right and you're looking for feedback one way or the other. Anyway, I know you've got friends you can trust and I'm sure you'll handle it appropriately. Ask Tiff what she thinks. By the way, not that it's related to this post but the Dragon ran 27 on me tonight in a straight pool match - his high run to date! - Chris in NC

04-01-2002, 12:33 AM
Nice job Ken. Very classy. Take advantage of the weak.The way you play you probably can't beat him anyway.

04-01-2002, 12:55 AM
Maybe you should offer him a cheesesteak and some funnel cake as a piece offering.

rackmup
04-01-2002, 08:25 PM
TB,

Very funny stuff! I appreciate your contributions here at the CCB. Please come back with even more insight into this beloved game of ours! Valuable input is always appreciated!

Regards,

Ken (where else can such fabulous information be obtained absolutely free-of-charge?)

MaineEAck
04-01-2002, 09:01 PM
Who is this? I talked to a few people about cheasesteak and funnel cake, are you one of them.. I have never had either until I went to Valley Forge

JayCee
04-01-2002, 11:02 PM
Congrats to Dragon...Keep it up...Chris, the next time I'm in NC, I'm going to try to make it there to play you and the Dragon.

Johnny

04-01-2002, 11:15 PM
oh wait,,,,this is pool.

i forgot

04-02-2002, 12:27 AM
You've got the 8. So did you get a cheesesteak before you split or what?