PDA

View Full Version : I ain't going to Vegas after all.

cycopath
06-23-2003, 07:59 PM
Well, my friends, our team made it through the 2nd round with a record of 6 wins out of 7 matches played. Then in the 3rd round we just crumbled. I'm still not sure what happened. Our team captain decided to put up our female SL4, she plays pretty good when she's been practicing, but she hasn't hit a ball in probably 2 months. So that didn't go so well. The only game she won, was by her opponent scratching on the 8ball. Then our captain puts himself up. Now, the first match he played on the first day of City Cup was terrible. He lost 4 to 1, and he's a strong SL5. But I figured he'd do better after the bad loss of his first match. Nope. I was wrong. It went hill hill, but he lost to a much weaker player. Mainly because he was shooting the wrong shots. So we are down two matchs already. So captain calls me up. And I've been playing pretty well, so I felt convident and not near as nervous as the first match I played. This all showed in the first game, I ran down to two balls and missed. He made a couple and gave the cueball back, and I ran out. Second game I couldn't get an open ball to save my life. Everything was clustered and I could'nt get the break outs. He wins. Third game, he breaks and gets a good spread. He runs out a few gives the cb to me and I run out to two and miss. He runs out his last few and scratches. I get ball in hand with this:

WEI Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

START(
%CG0D6%EK9D5%H[6G7%Pg9V9

)END

My captain calls a time out cause I'm lining up for the 5b to 3b combo in the corner. He suggests I cut the 5b in the long corner and stop for the 3b in the closest corner.

START(
%CG0D6%EK9D5%H[6G7%PH1E9%UJ5D6%VH8E5%Wq5D4%XL9D3%YC6C6%ZE8D4

)END

But I missed the cut. And he knocked the 8 right in. He won the match. He was a very strong (questionable) SL3.

I tried the combo 3 times today on our barbox and I ran it out three times. Oh well. Maybe next year I'll go to Vegas.

By the way Scott Lee came over to the tournament with us. He kept the practice table busy taking on all challengers. He's a great guy. Gave us a group lesson before the tournament on Sat. and on Sunday we had some one on one time for each of us. I hope to see him again in the future to continue the lessons and progress more as a player. If any of you that haven't had the opportunity to have some instruction from Mr Lee, you should make the time. It's WELL worth it.
Thanks again Scott. See you again soon.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Good match, lots of good experiences.
keep it up, soon you'll be giving 'coaching' advice.

Rod
06-23-2003, 11:28 PM
Well stuff happens, get em next season. You know most times I've seen a mistake has happened then it gets compounded by another mistake. Hard to imagine playing someone who has not hit a ball in two months. Sometimes you can trust anothers opinion on how/what to shoot, sometimes not. At a 5 rating he is far from having all the answers. Sometimes you have to trust your decision. Your the one that has to make both balls. I know, if you miss your way, you might get I told you so!! LOL That would be B/S by the way. I'm sure you have won and lost both ways. Well that's the way the cookie crumbles. In this case there is more importance put on this particular out and there shouldn't be. Minds get to racing and make wrong decisions. That anlgle on the 5 is high risk. Even if you shot the 3 in and stopped you'd then have a good shot on the 5. Make the ball you know you can make and have good position. At any rate I wouldn't have shot it any of the three ways mentioned, but then I wasn't shooting. LOL

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
06-24-2003, 07:20 AM
I feel your pain brother. Our Monday team has been really close to getting to Vegas a couple of times but no cigar. Keep on trucking and enjoy the journey.

SpiderMan
06-24-2003, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> At any rate I wouldn't have shot it any of the three ways mentioned, but then I wasn't shooting. LOL

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

OK, I'll bite ... what would you shoot?

SpiderMan

Icon of Sin
06-24-2003, 10:06 AM
We had our APA 9-Ball national qualifier last weekend too. We didnt make it either. However my TAP 8-Ball team is looking good this session, hopefully we might be able to capitalize there.

bluewolf
06-24-2003, 10:36 AM
Dont you just love those questionable sl3s LOL. Dont despair. They go all the way up the ladder. It gets down to not worrying if someone is sandbagging or not. Even if they are, just someone gets added to your list to improve so you can beat em next time. At least how I have gotten to see it. Used to get upset bout that stuff. Anymore it is just being happy to improve and play my best.Have fun.

Sorry you did not get to go the vegas though. Kind of a neat thing.

Laura

Rod
06-24-2003, 12:17 PM
I like this way. START(
%CG0D6%EK9D5%H[6G7%PH1E9%UJ5D6%VH8E5%Wq5D4%XL9D3%YC6C6%ZE8D4

)END

Or this way, START(
%CG0D6%EK9D5%H[6G7%PI6D3%QR9H7%UF3Z5%VC1T6%YC9T1%ZH0E7%eB9a7
%_S3I9%`M4R4%aG6Z8
)END

Of course there is a three rail to. I just don't like shooting from the short rail down the long rail. Any small error there is magnified over such a long distance. Heck he could have locked up the guy at least two different ways, just by moving the three a touch and out of the way. There are a ton of options, it's just a matter of knowing, and execution. One has to pick what their comfortable with.

cycopath, practice this shot several ways until you feel comfortable. When a similar situation comes up you'll be better equipped to make a decision.

Rod

teen1216
06-24-2003, 02:15 PM
I think I would have tried this.
START(
%CG0D6%EK9D5%H[6G7%PI5D7%UF7E7%VI1D8%WM3E2%XS3K5%YR8L7%ZC8H4
%[M1G8%\L8C5
)END

Rod
06-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Players should shoot to there strength. If one doesn't know a shot then it is not there strength. Thats the reason for practice and even this simple shot is not exempt. Next time your at a table shoot it that way and see if you like the results. Your over the 5 plus only going one rail. You only have one try.

Rod

Bassn7
06-25-2003, 12:10 PM
This is a very common sequence. Learn to trust this one.
START(
%CG0D6%EK9D5%H[6G7%PI1H8%QR9H7%UD2D1%VE7D3%WP5G0%XL7Z5%YL5Z4
%ZH1D6%[N0E0%\O9E7%eC0`7
)END

jjinfla
06-25-2003, 03:33 PM
What's wrong with shooting the 5 first? Nice easy snip shot. If you miss then at least you don't leave him an easy shot on the 8.

START(
%CE7D8%EK6D7%H[5H9%PH6D7%UD6K0%VF1E6%YX0U5%ZN7Z3%[q3C9%\L5D5
%]L9Z1%^C8M5
)END

I am curious why you would select the 5-3 combo as your choice? There are just too many things that can go wrong with combos.

Jake

pooldaddy9
06-25-2003, 06:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> This is a very common sequence. Learn to trust this one.
START(
%CG0D6%EK9D5%H[6G7%PI1H8%QR9H7%UD2D1%VE7D3%WP5G0%XL7Z5%YL5Z4
%ZH1D6%[N0E0%\O9E7%eC0`7

)END <hr /></blockquote>

This is the same way I was thinking.

cycopath
06-25-2003, 08:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> What's wrong with shooting the 5 first? Nice easy snip shot. If you miss then at least you don't leave him an easy shot on the 8.

START(
%CE7D8%EK6D7%H[5H9%PH6D7%UD6K0%VF1E6%YX0U5%ZN7Z3%[q3C9%\L5D5
%]L9Z1%^C8M5
)END

I am curious why you would select the 5-3 combo as your choice? There are just too many things that can go wrong with combos.

Jake
<hr /></blockquote>First off, to shoot the 5 I had to jack way up over the 3. Which I don't like to do, especially on a long shot. Secondly, I know the combo was risky I guess that's why I allowed my coach to talk me into the other shot. I did come home afterwards and shoot the combo and run out three times straight.

jjinfla
06-26-2003, 05:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>First off, to shoot the 5 I had to jack way up over the 3. Which I don't like to do, especially on a long shot. Secondly, I know the combo was risky I guess that's why I allowed my coach to talk me into the other shot. I did come home afterwards and shoot the combo and run out three times straight. <hr /></blockquote>

I guess the balls were closer together then they look. Anyway, I hope in the future you will go with what you feel comfortable with. Especially in a critical, stress packed, situation, where your whole team is depending on you to make the shot which will send the team to Vegas. LOL. At least if you shot the combo, which does look pretty easy, and missed, you would not have left an easy shot on the 8. I quit giving advice unless asked, unless there is something that he is overlooking, like lining up to shoot the 8 while he has another ball on the table. Better luck next sesson. And look at the positive side, at least your handicap isn't going to be raised. LOL Jake