PDA

View Full Version : Oh How Sweet It Was...

9 Ball Girl
06-24-2003, 08:06 AM
So I'm at the Monday night tournament at Master Billiards (this tourney used to be held at Golden Q Billiards), and every Monday night and Thursday night we have a break and run raffle. You have to break the 10 balls and pocket a ball and run it out. The money that's in the pot grows if the break and run is not fulfilled. Well, the pot was $2,100 and my boyfriend and I bought 20 tickets, what the hell.

Ginky is in charge of collecting the cash and selling the tickets. He picks someone to pull a ticket out. Now mind you, because the pot is at $2,100, players spent anywhere near $65-$85 in tickets. We only paid $20. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif So the ticket is pulled out and it's me! As I'm walking to the front to show Ginky my ticket, some of the guys are like, "let me break for you" or "pick this person to do it" and so on. I wound up picking someone who was not in the tournament and that wasn't allowed so I told Ginky to do it for me.

Okay. Ginky racks the 10 balls. Checks it a couple of times and walks off to get his cue. I walk over to the table to check the rack myself. Everyone laughs. Ginky comes back, the whole pool room is silent, and he breaks. A ball must drop to continue with the runout. I'm so used to 9 ball and easily noticing if a ball drops but with 10 ball I'm like duh 'cause I'm not used to it. Well, I thought a ball hadn't dropped but it did (I had my eyes close 'cause I was too nervous). The CB was good, and the 1 ball was in good position. It was all good. Now all he had to do was run it out. Every ball that's pocketed is 10%. He combos the 1 to the 8, then pockets 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and I'm nervous as hell. I'd look around me and I'd get reassuring smiles and winks. He pockets the 7, and is left with the 9 and 10. He looks at the layout, looks at me and smiles and says "Wendy, we've got the cash baby!" He pockets the 9 ball, comes perfect for the 10, everyone is cheering and whooping it up, he comes over gives me a big ole hug, and pockets the 10 ball! I damn near fainted! How anyone can do something like that under so much pressure is beyond me!

Anyway, I split the money accordingly with an extra bone for the Ginkster, gave some cash to my intended break and run person because you know I'm a nice person and split the rest with my boyfriend. Maybe now I should get a new poolcue. Or go to Disney World. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oh yeah, Ginky gives great hugs... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Candyman
06-24-2003, 08:17 AM
Congratulations Wendy! Sounds like you got your week off to a good start. Good things do happen to good people. Lock

Tom_In_Cincy
06-24-2003, 08:23 AM
$2,100.00 WOW

OK Wendy buys the 1st 6 rounds of drinks in September..

Best of LUCK, hell,, she shoots like a girl... DAMN Good and DAMN lucky.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-24-2003, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> $2,100.00 WOW

OK Wendy buys the 1st 6 rounds of drinks in September<hr /></blockquote>Deal!

You'll have to remind me thought 'cause I'm getting old and I forget things...What were we talking about? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

DEADSTOKE32
06-24-2003, 08:39 AM
So i guess when we meet at the open .You can help me pick the winners for some side action?
That's great now rember Spend, Spend Spend .
By the way who the tournament Monday nite ?

Qtec
06-24-2003, 08:47 AM
Glad you you got the cash , but to be fair , I think you should have played . You feel good now because of the cash . Imagine how sweeter it would have been if you were the one to make the clearance , under pressure. You lost a chance to really test yourself . You say you are good , do you still think so now?.

I would never let anybody play for me .

Qtec

9 Ball Girl
06-24-2003, 09:06 AM
I left at about 2:30AM and they were still playing. I'll find out tonight who won.

9 Ball Girl
06-24-2003, 09:13 AM
I'm good but I ain't that good! Even players that are 10x better than me pick someone better than them to do it for them. I've played under pressure before but never for $2,100! That's a different kind of pressure in itself that was better handled by the Ginkster than by me. I wasn't the one shooting and I was still a nervous wreck! I probably wouldn't even be able to hold the cue!

Yeah, I still think I'm good, but like I said, nowhere near the caliber of Ginky or Frankie Hernandez which would've been my other pick. I can assure you though, one day it will be me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-24-2003, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> ....I would never let anybody play for me .

Qtec <hr /></blockquote>

The "Ginky" she's referring to won the 1999 BCA pro 9-ball tournament. He could play for me anytime.

Wally~~hopes 9BG didn't hurt Ginky vertebraes with that massive hug /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric.
06-24-2003, 09:30 AM
Good deal, Wendy! What's that saying about money won vs. money earned? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think I would've picked Ginky too. He gets out as good as anyone. How's he playing lately? Last I saw, he played well in a TriState stop about 6 months ago.

Eric

pooltchr
06-24-2003, 09:32 AM
Tap Tap Tap. If I needed someone to run a 10-ball rack, Ginky would be right up there at the top of the list.

Congrat's NBG!

9 Ball Girl
06-24-2003, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>Wally~~hopes 9BG didn't hurt Ginky vertebraes with that massive hug /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Actually, his hugs were nice and way tighter than mine! But don't worry, we only hugged each other about 5 times.../ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-24-2003, 09:39 AM
I think he's playing pretty good. Effortless man, effortless. At least it looks that way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Qtec
06-24-2003, 09:43 AM
You can run out a rack, surely ?

Q

9 Ball Girl
06-24-2003, 09:57 AM
Yeah but knowing me I would've screwed it up somewhere. Plus you have to sink at least one ball in on the break to keep it going and continue on from wherever the CB lands. Also, you can buy a ticket regardless if you're in or not, but you have to be in the tourney to break and run and this Monday I didn't play 'cause I didn't have the cash to enter. I think I have enough cash now to enter for say the next 6 months? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fran Crimi
06-24-2003, 10:17 AM
WOW!

You had 4 things to overcome before you could see that money.

1.) Getting your name drawn.

2.) Picking the best person for the job.

3.) Making a ball on the break in a 10-Ball rack (that's a feat in itself).

4.) Running out the rack.

Way to go!!! (Don't spend it all in once place...or do. LOL)

Fran

Steve Lipsky
06-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Qtec, what on earth are you talking about? To most people, $1,500 or so is too much money to play around with, just for kicks, "to test ourselves".

The fact that it is not too much to you, is nothing you should be ashamed of. However, it should not be difficult for you to understand why it would be to most people.

Would you gamble $1,500 on a set with Bustamante, playing even, simply because you have the ability to run a rack?

- Steve

Qtec
06-24-2003, 10:35 AM
I guess you havent heard ? Its now the rule that you have pay 20% to the forum!!
Give my share to eg8r and then he can send sparky his dollar . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Ralph S.
06-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Thats great Wendy. Congrats. I have a good Ginky story you will like.

I was at the 2002 DCC playing in some of the hundred doller entry mini-tourneys upstairs. I was shooting real good warming up and the first draws come around. I drew Ginky. I didnt know who he was at the time nor had I ever heard of him. The format was race to 5. I won the lag-toss and had opening break.

I broke the first rack. Great break, hung several in some pockets but none fell. I start putting my shhoting cue together and these three guys say not to bother. I looked at them like they were crazy. I looked back at the table and he had ran it in like seconds. I rack again, Ginky breaks and runs. Keep in mind I still havent got the cue together yet. Ginky breaks the third rack, makes two balls and plays safe. I finally get my cue together. I had no shot, and played a return safe. A reasonably good one and even got a few cue taps from Ginky on it. Well, he plays a two rail kiick and pockets the ball and runs out.

I rack the fourth and fifth racks which he ran out in no time flat. I got all of two shots, one a break and the other a good safety that failed. The total match took maybe fifteen minutes tops. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I also had my ailing father with me, to kinda get him out some.

I went back to my room to get my Dad and he was gone. I frantically started looking for him as he is permanatly on oxygen and didnt have his tank with him. I ran from the room and finally found him upstairs where the minis were being played.

He was sitting near a table watching this match. The match? Ginky vs. someone. This guy was getting drilled as badly as me and my dad quips,"check out that little short fella, he can shoot some pool". I responded by saying,"you aint telling me anything I dont already know. he just destroyed me 5-0".

Ginky just stood there with a wry little smile on his face and never said a word. He is a quiet little fella, but one helluva player. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif I aint sure Wendy, but if you ask him he might remember the matches.

Steve Lipsky
06-24-2003, 02:53 PM
Hey Ralph. Great story! But are you sure you played Ginky? He's anything but quiet! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I mean the above in a good way... he usually has the whole poolroom cracking up in a matter of minutes. And he's got a priceless laugh - you ain't lived 'til you've heard it...

He's also (along with Tony Robles and Danny Barouty) done more for the current NYC pool scene than any players I can think of.

- Steve

9 Ball Girl
06-24-2003, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hey Ralph. Great story! But are you sure you played Ginky? He's anything but quiet! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I mean the above in a good way... he usually has the whole poolroom cracking up in a matter of minutes. And he's got a priceless laugh - you ain't lived 'til you've heard it...<hr /></blockquote>

That's definitely a great story and I have to agree with Steve on the above! Hahahahahaha! I printed out your story and I'm going to give it to Ginky today. I'll keep you posted... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eg8r
06-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Nope he would do it because he is foolish enough to try and test himeself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

e8gr

Rod
06-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Great story Wendy! Glad you won, thats a good feat on a one time shot at ten ball. Put some away for a rainy day, LOL I hear it's raining a lot there. The open is paid for, hey your all set.

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
06-24-2003, 03:42 PM
Just another good reason to be envious of Wendy's boyfriend.

Wendy plays pool, plays often, feels good in a pool room, can talk pool with the pros, runs tournaments, plays in tournaments, wins 'Break-n-Runs' worth thousands.. and has tickets already for the US Open. WOW.. what a lady..
/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

And Wendy is going to be giving away prizes too!!!!

06-24-2003, 05:29 PM
mONEY WON IS TWICE AS SWEET AS MONEY EARNED. DID I INVENT THAT OR DID SOMEBODY SAY THAT ONE BEFORE ME. i SHOOT LIKE A GIRL TOO. NICE TO SEE SOME GALS BRINGING HOME SOME CASH.

Ralph S.
06-24-2003, 05:38 PM
Steve, it definitely was Ginky {George San Soucci}. He was pretty quiet that night, but then again there was a good size tourney being played at the time.

Ralph S.
06-24-2003, 05:43 PM
He might be the life of the party up there at home Wendy, but he was quiet as a church mouse and all business in that tourney. BTW, I remember him taking first or second in that particular mini. Just unsure of which spot he did take, but believe me, he got PAID!!!!!!! LOL.

tateuts
06-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Nine-Ball Girl, good work. Now, let's see... After 30% mandatory federal witholding, 10% state 10% city, disability, social security, FICA,PUKA, sewer assessment, clean air,water, and voted indebtedness, you actually owe the government $25, plus interest and penalty.

Chris

Qtec
06-24-2003, 08:45 PM
Qtec, what on earth are you talking about? To most people, $1,500 or so is too much money to play around with, just for kicks, "to test ourselves".

<font color="blue"> It is a lot of money. </font color>

The fact that it is not too much to you, is nothing you should be ashamed of. However, it should not be difficult for you to understand why it would be to most people.

<font color="blue">There is no shame in this.
You are right . I dont know at what level 9bg plays at . </font color>

Would you gamble $1,500 on a set with Bustamante, playing even, simply because you have the ability to run a rack?

<font color="blue"> If i had $1500 to lose I would . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif In this case the only opponent was the table. </font color>

<font color="blue"> I guess it all depends on how you look at it but you cant lose what you dont have .
What if the guy had missed a simple shot with everything on ? Anything can happen , but if you want the cash you should let the best player try. Thats makes sense .

All I am saying is ,what a story that could have been if she had done it herself . One for the grandchildren. Who knows ?</font color>

Q

9 Ball Girl
06-25-2003, 12:17 AM
http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/rocker.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-25-2003, 12:19 AM
Hey Ralph. I gave Ginky a copy of your story and he said he remembered playing a girl in his first match and that her Dad was there. Nothing much else...

9 Ball Girl
06-25-2003, 12:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> All I am saying is ,what a story that could have been if she had done it herself . One for the grandchildren. </font color><hr /></blockquote> I can always bend the truth a little when I'm in my rocking chair telling my great grandkids...Not! I'll have my own story to tell. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lester
06-25-2003, 06:48 AM
Wendy, played in a tournament last night and they picked two people for the 10 ball super rack. I was the first. Now my break isn't my strong suit, but I got ahold of the cue ball on this one. Upon impact with the one, it soared about a foot and a half straight up and "squatted" right on the spot when it landed. Most of the balls wound up above the side pockets, and the eight ball came closest to going in when it "jawed" in the pocket. The other guy that was drawn did the same thing. That 10 ball rack is tough. ***Lester*** ~ I wish Ginky could have played for me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
06-25-2003, 07:06 AM
Wendy, I am certain it was him. Maybe this is just his way of teasing, meaning my game needs some work, OR, he is a switch hitter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kidding Wendy. I cant believe he didnt remember me LOL. I am 6'2 and 300lb. I am like two of him except shooting pool, then I am maybe 1/4. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sincerely, I have much respect for George and his game.