PDA

View Full Version : Where does Earl Align His Head/Eyes Over the Cue?

03-30-2002, 10:48 AM
We had a discussion at Pool School last week about where Earl aligns his head/eyes over the cue. The supported theory at Cue-Tech pool school is that it absolutely does not matter where you align your eyes over the cue - as long as it works for you in allowing you to best see the target line and that you do it the same everytime. That I do agree with, although I think for all good players that correct eye alignment over the cue falls within a certain range. Earl was given as an example of someone who aligns his cue way outside his eyes somewhere around his right ear - hogwash IMO.

I've studied tapes of Earl, and although from certain angles it can appear to be aligned outside of his right eye, from straight-on angle views where you can really tell I say he's aligning his cue directly under his right eye.

Furthermore, my personal theory which I hope to someday prove with a video field study is that 99+% of high level players align their cue at or somewhere within that roughly 2-1/2" range between their chin (middle of their eyes) to directly under their dominant eye. Curious how others feel about this, or where others think Earl aligns his cue? - Chris in NC

03-30-2002, 12:39 PM
I have many tapes of Earl and I would agree that he sets up over the right eye. Both Sigel and Rempe are alt eye dominate and use that eye. I am right handed but left eye dominate and know from personal (years) of trying different positions that setting up over the dominate eye makes more balls.

I don't mind people having differnet views about this but among all of the "experts" that say it dosn't make any difference regarding eye dominance none that I know of are reporting as an alternate eye player.

On the other hand true world class players such as Mike Sigel and Jim Rempe are alternate eye shooters. Since both are great teachers as well as great players I think they are worth studying as apposed to those that just teach.

Best, Ron.

TommyT
03-30-2002, 03:02 PM
I had the displeasure to watch Earl play this last weekend in person. We were closer than Earl wanted us to be and it was evident to me his head was not over his stick. The right ear sounds pretty close. By the way, he's a first class horses ass.
TommyT

03-30-2002, 03:24 PM
Boy,I agree with that,Earl is a #1 horses ass!!! I have had the pleasure and displeasure of watching "The Mighty Earl" up close and personal on several occasions. I have been in many tournaments with Earl as well and you're right his attitude really sucks!! What a shame!!! However,to give credit where credit is due, Earl is one of the greatest players of all time!!!

Tom_In_Cincy
03-30-2002, 03:39 PM
And, Earl Strickland WILL be in the Pool and Billiards hall of fame.

stickman
03-30-2002, 03:54 PM
I had a similar experience when I meet Don "The Snake" Prudomme. I was less than impressed. He was a total jerk. Other's have told me that at the races, he was so intense that he just came off that way, and he was very personable away from the race track. I couldn't speak to that. I only had my first impression to go by.

03-31-2002, 12:47 AM
The guy is not consistent with his head position. As much as a "feel" player feels, Earl seeks with the head position(IMO.) And yes he will be in the hall of fame, not doubt...sid

03-31-2002, 12:52 AM
test

03-31-2002, 02:50 PM
No doubt about it Tom!!! He should be in the Hall Of Fame but only for his great ability and accomplishments but definately NOT for his sportsmanship and attitude.
One more thing about head/eye position. I play with the cue directly under my chin aiming with both eyes however,I find that on certain shots if I position the cue under one eye or the other(depending on the shot)I seem to have a better "sight picture" to aim at and subsequently I will pocket the shot more consistantly. What's your method or opinion?? ANYONE??? *HAMMER*

03-31-2002, 07:02 PM
closing one eye? the cue lines up very well that way,,,,for me. wish i had an eye patch.

04-01-2002, 01:27 PM
This is something that I have been working on changing lately.

When I started playing Pool about 6 or 7 years ago, I was completely, totally, 100% ambiocular. NO eye dominance. AT ALL.

Now, my right eye is slightly dominant. Not by much, but it is there. The result was that, lining up the way I had been doing for so long, the cueball consistently went to the right of where I wanted it to.

So I have been working on changing my alignment so that my cue alignment more accurately matches the line of my vision. It isn't all the way under my right eye, but it is not in the center anymore. I am usually placing it right now just barely outside of the point of my chin on the right side.

Getting used to this is taking some time. It is very easy to let myself slip right back into lining it up the old way, which again results in consistenly missing the same way. But I'm making progress.

Oh, and I agree with you. To me, it seems like Earl lines it up under his right eye. For someone that really seems to put the cue outside of his right eye, look at Neils Fuijen (sp?). But I haven't observed him closely enough (don't particulary care, actually) to see if it is actually undre his right eye or not.