PDA

View Full Version : Broken ferrule - can it be replaced? (NYC)

06-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Hi,

I have a cue on which a big chip has come out of the top of the ferrule (consequently the tip falls apart above it). I have a couple of questions and hope someone would be kind enough to help:

(1) Is it possible to replace/repair the ferrule (or would I need a whole new shaft)?
(2) If the answer to 1 is 'yes' then can anyone recommend somewhere in NYC where I might get this done? I live in the UK and don't know anyone in the entire country who could do this (we're still not big enough on American pool here). However I'm going to be in NYC for a few days soon, so I'm hoping to have time to get it done there. The cue is a Meucci if that's of any assistance.

Many thanks in advance for any help

9 Ball Girl
06-24-2003, 09:01 AM
Yes. You can have a ferrule replaced without buying a new shaft. I know, 'cause I've got it done. I know of 2 people in Brooklyn.

Paul Delillo
Hall of Fame Billiards
505 Ovington Avenue (5th and Ovington)
718-921-7225
(ask for info for Pauly)

Richard Hsu
5420 Avenue N. (between E.54 and E. 55th St)
(718) 258-6190

Hope this helps.

SpiderMan
06-25-2003, 08:24 AM
Chris,

Not sure about the current product, but if it's an older Meucci you may find that the tenon (turned-down section of wood underneath the ferrule) is slightly larger diameter than the standard 5/16". What this means is that the ferrule will have thinner walls than standard, and some folks partially blame this for Meucci's higher rate of ferrule failures.

If this is your case, your options are to (1) have the repair guy turn down the tenon slightly to achieve a standard diameter for resulting thicker ferrule walls, or (2) keep the factory specs on the tenon diameter and ream out the ferrule hole to accept it.

My personal preference is (2), just because I prefer not to remove wood unnecesarily. Don't use plain fiber or one of the soft thermoplastics, and ferrule longevity will be OK anyway.

SpiderMan