PDA

View Full Version : rubber tips on cues....why not?

BillPorter
06-25-2003, 06:56 PM
I have a couple of questions for one or more of our knowledgeable CCB'ers. 1)Would a rubber tip be legal, and if so, what would be the downside of using one. Seems like a rubber tip could be made that would really grip the cue ball and give you tons of spin. 2) What IS legal when it comes to tips? Are those super hard tips on some jump cues and break cues (phenolic?) legal? Thanks in advance for any wisdom you may deem it appropriate to impart.

Rod
06-25-2003, 07:09 PM
Bill,

Here is what BCA deems legal.

The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball. The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material that extends the natural line of the shaft end of the cue and contacts the cue ball when the shot is executed.

The ferrule, if of a metal material, may not be more than 1 inch in length.

BTW I first tried a rubber tip in the 60's. I can't remember the composition except it had a little abrasive to it. It worked well for spin draw etc. Howevr it was not as firm as say a med hard tip. It held chalk great and didn't really have to be chalked all that well. I had some problems with speed but I really never used it all that long. If I was to guess it felt similar to an elk master. Well the tip lasted for less than a week and it split. I never tried one again. It is not legal now, one because of the slight abrasive and two it doesn't have any leather in the mixture. Thats my story an I'm sticking to it! LOL

BillPorter
06-25-2003, 08:25 PM
Rod, thanks for the post. My guess was that a rubber tip might put tons of spin on the cue ball, but that it might be inconsistent and short-lived (as well as probably illegal). Rubber would surely be "pliable," wouldn't it? But I guess you have to stick a little leather in there somewhere to make it legal.

bolo
06-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Why would it have to have leather in it? There are some synthetic tips that don't have any leather in them. I think one is called future tip or something like that.

Rod
06-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Bolo,
If the reference is to my tip it was abrasive. As I reread the equipment rule it appears leather may not be manditory. Problem is with any tip to be legal, you need to know the mixture. You know it's doubtful as far as a std playing tip goes anyone would ever get caught. Some appear illegal on jump cues, but who knows.

Rod

Rod
06-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Bill,

Well maybe it doesn't have to have leather but it would be easy to do. They make ruberized cork and a host of others I'm sure. For a manufacturer add fibre, leather etc. Their goal is a non abrasive mixture, pliable and the right shore hardness. Maybe Goodyear will start making tips. LOL Actually if someone made the right mixture it would likely be far more consistant than std leather tips.

Rod

bolo
06-25-2003, 09:04 PM
The phenolic tips are approved by the BCA in writing.

arn3
06-25-2003, 09:18 PM
try this. STRETCH a fat rubber band around the tip of your cue, and try shooting with it. no need to chalk /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
take a few medium distance shots and tell me how many times you can pocket the OB, much less hit it.

Rod
06-25-2003, 09:45 PM
As I understand that is correct. Question which phenolic tip? The approved ones must have some sort of fibre. Once again not all may be made the same. BCA isn't like the PGA and golf ball and club testing. There may be some that are illegal, but who's to know? Personally I don't care one way or the other. From what I've seen of those phenolic tips, they don't stay on that long anyway. To much hassle if you ask me for a small increase in velocity.

Rod

bolo
06-26-2003, 12:03 AM
You are probably right. The ones that say BCA approved I am sure are telling the truth or at least they can prove it if necessary or they would not say it. I don't have any problem keeping them on. I use an epoxy. The one I am using now I put on like a year ago and I use it all the time. They do work better and even if it was only by a small percentage better,( I think they are a lot better) why not have what works best.

Ward
06-26-2003, 06:06 AM
Bill

A fellow at Clicks on Skillman had a rubber tip a couple of years ago. I hit a few balls with it and it was strange... I don't think I would ever use one.

Later

Fred Agnir
06-26-2003, 06:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> 1)Would a rubber tip be legal, and if so, what would be the downside of using one. Seems like a rubber tip could be made that would really grip the cue ball and give you tons of spin. <hr /></blockquote>Tony Matthews reported doing a rubber tip experiment already.

Rubber Tip Results (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=84138&amp;Forum=ccb &amp;Words=rubber%20tip&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpa ge=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=83315&amp;Search=true# Post84138)

Fred

L.S. Dennis
06-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Believe it or not I did try this. I used to work for UAL in ground support and one day I took a chunk of an aircraft tire home and cut a piece out of it for a cue tip. I put my shaft on my lathe and affixed the little rubber tip that I shaped from the airplane tire and alas; I didn't work!!

When I hit the cue ball with it all kinds of funny things happened that were not expected. Suffice as to say, stick with the traditional leather ones which do work.
Dennis

Deeman
06-26-2003, 03:14 PM
I tried one in Germany and it worked pretty well but had a too soft hit. It did not last very long and I replaced it. It did seem to have an abrasive embedded in it. It held chalk well at first then seemed to slick up. I never could get it to rough up right with a tip tool so i gave up.

Dee

06-26-2003, 03:35 PM
My instructor has a rubber tip he puts over my furrel (my cue) to help me understand my stroke.
The rubber tip removes all english action and can make for surprising results. Try the rubber band mentioned by a previous poster.

Dick /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

PoolFool
06-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Rubber tips have been around several years. I had one installed about 3 years ago on a spare shaft. I could not get draw with it. R&amp;L ehglish was ok but not equal to a good leather tip. If you want a tip that never needs chalk but doesn't give the best cue ball control go for it.

PoolFool