PDA

View Full Version : Trix of the trade...

Chris Cass
06-25-2003, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of the little tricks that I do Vs some new ones others may have. Here are a few of mine.

1) When chalking with a new peice of chalk. My tip I prefer is a nickel radius so, I'll take a nickel and grind out the chalk center. Works for me.

2) After each set, I'll take my cue with me to the washroom. Sprinkle water on my face after, thoroughly wash my paws then, I'll take a damp paper towel and wipe down the shaft. I'll also buff it completely dry. Works great for those sweaty rooms.

3) When and if I miscue which is seldom as I chalk close to every shot. I'll lick my index finger and dab the miscued area and reapply the chalk. It hold well.

If you can think of anymore that you might do I'd be glad to hear them.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dddd
06-25-2003, 08:03 PM
hi chris
nice thought
dennnis

Rod
06-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Hi Chris,

Geez, I thought by the title you were going to help me make a ball. I need to know some of those tricks. LOL I like used chalk, besides on my wages I rarely have a nickle. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

After chalking I run my bridge hand up the cue and knock off excess chalk on the edge of the tip. Even a good tip can have a little on the very edge. That bugs me and it's been a habit for years. Now as I look back, I could see then, now I can't see it, even if it is there.

I rarely hold my cue when not at the table. I don't like any kind of grip or when humid any moisture from where my hand was.

I sometimes use the top of the cushion to buff my shaft. I put pressure from my left hand down on the shaft. I then move it back and forth and rotate. It cleans and polishes. I got in that habit years ago also. Sometimes from tables not being real clean but especially from rubber that comes off a pocket. I usually forget my towel so I do it that way.

Rod

cueball1950
06-25-2003, 09:40 PM
and all this time i thought <font color="red"> </font color>Trix <font color="black"> </font color> were for kids...live and learn..................................mike

Chris Cass
06-25-2003, 11:09 PM
HAHAHAHA,

They are. LOL

C.C.~~just a kid at heart...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-25-2003, 11:12 PM
Hi Rod,

I do the same things too. I will wet the side wall of the tip and burnish it on the rail of smooth formica or what ever they use. LOL It stops the mushroom and adds a shine too.

Regards,

C.C.

nAz
06-26-2003, 02:28 AM
Hey there CC,

this one i have been doing more of lately...

"2) After each set, I'll take my cue with me to the washroom. Sprinkle water on my face after, thoroughly wash my paws then, I'll take a damp paper towel and wipe down the shaft. I'll also buff it completely dry. Works great for those sweaty rooms."

maybe i'll try the others.

Oh wait there is one that I do a lot now maybe its not a trick but its very usefull, I stay Hydrated I drink lot of water especially if im sweating a lot in a match, helps me stay in balance. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ralph S.
06-26-2003, 06:04 AM
Great tips Chris. I particularly like the one about using the coin to shape new chalk.

Fred Agnir
06-26-2003, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> If you can think of anymore that you might do I'd be glad to hear them.

<hr /></blockquote>Before playing, I make sure the rubber bumper hasn't fallen out. That way, when I slam the butt down in frustration, ... well, you know.

Fred

Predator314
06-26-2003, 07:01 AM
I like my chalk to be as flat as possible. This helps me keep the ferrule clean.

Eric.
06-26-2003, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi everyone,

I was thinking of the little tricks that I do Vs some new ones others may have. Here are a few of mine.

1) When chalking with a new peice of chalk. My tip I prefer is a nickel radius so, I'll take a nickel and grind out the chalk center. Works for me.

2) After each set, I'll take my cue with me to the washroom. Sprinkle water on my face after, thoroughly wash my paws then, I'll take a damp paper towel and wipe down the shaft. I'll also buff it completely dry. Works great for those sweaty rooms. <font color="green">
I always take my cue to the bathroom-lost a cue this way</font color>

3) When and if I miscue which is seldom as I chalk close to every shot. I'll lick my index finger and dab the miscued area and reapply the chalk. It hold well. <font color="green"> I grind the tip into the carpet and re-apply chalk </font color>

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

One thing I do to treat the shaft:

Silicone Spray (not WD-40)

I love that stuff. It makes the shaft slick as...well, you know. Also, it seals moisture out. Good sh!t.

Eric

Wally_in_Cincy
06-26-2003, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>

.....One thing I do to treat the shaft:

I love that stuff. It makes the shaft slick as...
<hr /></blockquote>

deer snot on a doorknob? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BTW if you spray that stuff all over yourself those Fast Larry karate chops will just slide right off /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

==============================

I usually hold my cue while not shooting but always in the grip hand, never the bridge hand. Helps keep the bridge hand dry.

Wally~~chalks like Bob Jewett

Eric.
06-26-2003, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>

.....One thing I do to treat the shaft:

I love that stuff. It makes the shaft slick as...
<hr /></blockquote>

deer snot on a doorknob? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="red">I'm trying to keep my PG-13 rating /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

BTW if you spray that stuff all over yourself those Fast Larry karate chops will just slide right off /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
<font color="red">I think the only chops Larry knows about are Pork chops </font color>
==============================

I usually hold my cue while not shooting but always in the grip hand, never the bridge hand. Helps keep the bridge hand dry.

Wally~~chalks like Bob Jewett <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty
06-26-2003, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>Silicone Spray (not WD-40)<hr /></blockquote>I've heard folks mention this before, but I haven't seen a brand name mentioned or a recommendation on where to buy it. I see WD-40 everywhere, but I guess I'm just not atuned to finding silicone spray. Where can you get it? What is the brand name?

SpiderMan
06-26-2003, 09:30 AM
I use the same shaft-cleaning regimen each time I go to the john. Use that last slightly-damp towel to wipe down the stick, then buff it with a dry one. Being from Memphis, I long ago developed a habit of taking my cue to the can.

Here's one for you - form a habit of picking up your drink with your grip (not bridge) hand. That way, if you get a little bit of condensate or spilled beverage on your fingers, you don't accidentally transfer any yuck to your shaft.

SpiderMan

Deeman
06-26-2003, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Being from Memphis, I long ago developed a habit of taking my cue to the can.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Spiderman,

Are you saying all us Memphis boys had potential to steal your cue or that we have some sort of bathroom fantasy involving custom cues? Inquiring minds want to know!

By the way, I just handed my stick to Doyle when I went to the can. He stuck it behind the counter. More so people wouldn't mess with it than the thought of someone stealing it. Remember, all my friends were carrying .45's in their back pocket!

Dee

Fran Crimi
06-26-2003, 09:47 AM
Hey Eric,

Have you ever tried just burnishing your shaft with a piece of leather? It seals the wood pretty well and doesn't leave any residue.

I used to use silicone and I found it to be OK in the winter but on a hot damp day, it would seem to seep out of the pores of the wood and make the cue sticky, even weeks after I applied it.

Fran

Eric.
06-26-2003, 09:51 AM
You can find it in any Auto parts store. It's fairly common. There isn't any specific brand(doesn't matter).

It works best if you start with shaft where the finish is removed(only the coating, no wood). Start by sanding then cleaning the wood then apply the Silicone spray in several heavy coats, wiping down with a paper towel after each coat. Make sure you give it a few minutes for the stuff to soak in. After the final coat, buff with a clean paper towel. You're done.

I usually spray the shaft every time I head out to play. Spray it, then buff with a paper towel. It seems to do 3 things: make the shaft smooth, clean hand oil/residue off, seals out moisture.

I've done this for the past 8 years on all of my cues, with no ill effects.

Hope this is useful!

Eric

AndyG
06-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Hi Chris, One that I picked up many years ago, is laying a small piece of paper towel over the rubber or plastic pocket when I'm forced to bridge over it. Slides much smoother and prevents that 'rubber dust' from staying on the shaft. If I don't have paper towel, I'll use a handkerchief or $1 bill. (I don't have anything larger).
AndyG

Eric.
06-26-2003, 09:57 AM
I tried the leather thing too. Seems to work.

As far as the humid day thing, if the shaft gets a little sticky, I take a paper towel and vigorously(obscenely?) stroke the shaft up and down several times. That seems to burnish it enough to take care of the problem. Between the paper towel burnish &amp; washing my hands, seems to work.

Eric

Fran Crimi
06-26-2003, 10:03 AM
But why go through all that trouble if you don't have to???

Fran /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Eric.
06-26-2003, 01:34 PM
Actually, it's really no trouble at all. My problem is that I hate it when the stick sticks to my hand(if that makes sense). The silicone seems to be a great fix for my problem. Just a little dab'l do me. As far as the paper towel burnish, hell, that only takes a minute. I usually wash my hands before playing anyway(OCD?).

This seems to help me. More importantly, I don't have to use the glove, not to mention hearing about it.

Eric &gt;not Michael, Jacko, nor the King of Pop

06-26-2003, 02:38 PM
There is a prior post talking about staying Hydrated. Actually drinking water has more pay-back than staying hydrated, especially for us seniors (I'm 60). Drinking water has an immediate positive impact to eye-sight, also especially if your like me and do not drink water as recommended by the Doc.
I'm not sure of the mechanics on this but it has helped me, lots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Keith Talent
06-27-2003, 02:58 AM
I'm thinking of trying out that silcone juice, but tell me, is there no chance of buildup with it? I'm afraid that my shaft might get fatter, though I guess my spouse wouldn't complain. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Another thing ... I think the main problem isn't the stick, but the gunge on your hands. I find that when I wash up, my cue feels like new, no matter what I've done to keep the shaft clean.

What about those bottles of alcohol-based hand cleaner? I got one the other day, and tried it at the table, but it seemed to have some sort of moisturizing schmutz in it and it didn't quite work, though it was an improvement over dirty hands. But maybe one without any additives would work between innings?

cycopath
06-27-2003, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr>What about those bottles of alcohol-based hand cleaner? I got one the other day, and tried it at the table, but it seemed to have some sort of moisturizing schmutz in it and it didn't quite work, though it was an improvement over dirty hands. But maybe one without any additives would work between innings? <hr /></blockquote>I can't find any hand cleaner without the moisturizing ingredients included. And I've been looking. I was thinking of making my own. Maybe just alcohol in water. Just shake it up before using.
One thing I have used is ball cleaner. Just try to only rub it in to your bridge hand as it does dry out the skin alot. But it works well.

Chris Cass
06-27-2003, 10:26 AM
Hi Marty,

I have that habit already. It's a good one and I appreciate you reminding me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
06-27-2003, 10:34 AM
Hi Rod,

Buddy Hall also runs his bridge hand to wipe the excess chalk too. Your not alone. LOL Actually I know a few people that do that.

Not holding the cue while not in use is precisely what I've heard everyone should do during a match. I heard that it was good for your game. The trouble is I have CRS and forgot where I heard it. HAHAHA

Regards,

C.C.~~Scotty and Spidey both told me, the way you shoot you don't need money. HAHAHA /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
06-27-2003, 10:35 AM
Oops,

I gave up personal information. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

C.C.~~hahahaha

Chris Cass
06-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Excellent advice.

C.C.~~way to go bro. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-27-2003, 10:42 AM
Who ya kidding Fred? I watched you play and your as cool as a cucumber. You my friend could easily be a champion poker player with that face. LOL

Thanks champ,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

06-27-2003, 03:30 PM

Chris Cass
06-27-2003, 03:53 PM
HAHAHHHA,

Now that's funny.

C.C.

Voodoo Daddy
06-27-2003, 04:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi everyone,

------------------------------------------------------------
Voodoo will now try to decipher CORN FIELD Kindness into something we can all enjoy!! Lets get started, shall we?
__________________________________________________ __________
Voodoo-ism = This means CC keeps the chalk in his pocket and does not share!!
2) After each set, I'll take my cue with me to the washroom. Sprinkle water on my face after, thoroughly wash my paws then, I'll take a damp paper towel and wipe down the shaft. I'll also buff it completely dry. Works great for those sweaty rooms.
Voodoo-ism = He takes his cue to the john cause he knows the room is fulla nits and thieves but wont say it cause he is way too sweet a guy. Washin' his paws from countin' all that dirty money he wins. The shaft thing is way too personal!!
3) When and if I miscue which is seldom as I chalk close to every shot. I'll lick my index finger and dab the miscued area and reapply the chalk. It hold well.
Voodoo-ism = what he really does is spit in the chalk so the other guy has a soggy tip.
Voodoo-ism = I think I made my brother laugh like hell!!

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif and VOODOO /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara
06-27-2003, 04:27 PM
Voodoo, you are sooooooo baaaaaaaad!!!

Barbara~~~would normally tell the "vertically challenged" person to go pick on someone their own size, but in this case... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
06-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Trix to look out for:

spitting in the chalk

moving counters (coins on table or what ever) more than they should be

taking bathroom breaks and leaving (when they owe you $)

Giving a spot to someone that doesn't need it

playing all Janis Joplin songs on the Jukebox, knowing it drive your opponent crazy

sharking by always saying yes when they offer to buy you a drink, and never asking if they want one later.

taking all the chalk on the rails and collecting them on the tabe where you are sitting

make sure the bridge is at the other end of the pool room

leave cell phone on and set an alarm to call someone during the match.. nice stall tactic

asking if you got a good hit, when it was obvious to everyone else in the pool room that it was? my god.. don't you pay attention

in 8 ball, after you break, they ask, after you have already stepped away from the table and sat down... "is it open?"

or, in 8 ball, after you have run 2 or 3 balls and played safe...they ask "what group am I?"

I could go on.. but this is 180 off topic.. sorry Chris /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris Cass
06-27-2003, 05:17 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA,

Your hurting my sides. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~Voodoo-ism's hahahahaha

Chris Cass
06-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Tom,

You have no idea how right your post is. LOL I've experienced all and only spit in the chalk once. Well"?

Regards,

C.C.~~staying away from Cincy Pool Halls. hahaha