PDA

View Full Version : US Open Advice

Deeman
06-26-2003, 07:22 AM
Well, I got my hotel rooms but am unsure about getting tickets to the event. I am not anxious to buy the $200 seats as I will only be there Friday and Saturday and don't want to dump $800 for the four of us for just a few sessions. Are there normally any VIP seats still available during the event? I am meeting my father there and taking my wife and someone else. If I buy VIP tickets for the entire week, I'll go broke real quick. If the tickets are good to swap between family members, that would make it less painful as I could buy a couple and let a few of us go at a time.

Thanks for any feedback. Unlike Wendy, I did hit the jackpot last weekend! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oh! Yeah, Thanks Dave, I got my badge last weekend. Thanks..

9 Ball Girl
06-26-2003, 07:59 AM
When I was there last year, I only went from Friday thru Sunday. I didn't buy VIP tickets but I sat in VIP seats! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif From what I remember, the general tickets were $10-$15 and I would do what you do in a baseball stadium when you see empty seats, move in! The name of the owner of the seat is taped to the table (sort of like what they do in fashion shows) and if the owner showed up, I'd just move to another seat. This year I bought the $200 ticket 'cause I'll be there all week. I don't know if they have any VIP seats available by then but I do remember VIP ticket holders not being able to stay all week. I would just play it by ear.

So where are you staying at? Oh and how much was the jackpot? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DoomCue
06-26-2003, 07:59 AM
From my personal experience, the VIP tickets end up going pretty fast as the Open approaches. There will usually be some tickets left, but they'll be in bad spots. They do have a projector system set up for the TV table, so you can watch that, but it'll be hard to see any action other than what's on the TV table. You can also get session tickets, which I believe were 20 bones each (I've never bought them, so I'm not sure what the price is). If you're only going to be there for a couple of days, this seems to be the most economical way. Those session seats are toward the far ends, though, so once again, you won't be able to see much. Sounds like you need to make an economics decision /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-26-2003, 08:03 AM
BTW where's a good place to stay? Where's everybody staying? If this was discussed I missed it the first time around.

Wally~~needs to get a room

9 Ball Girl
06-26-2003, 08:25 AM
http://www.chesapeakeconference.com/hotels.html

The Hampton, Holiday Inn, and Wellesley seem to be the more popular ones.

Wendy~~~will never stay at the Red Rum (Red Roof) Inn again!

Deeman
06-26-2003, 08:55 AM
I'm staying at the Wellesley. It is supposed to be just next to the Conference Center. It was a break and run opportunity for about $560 but it was nine ball. I broke the six in, the 7 and 8 nestled together at the end of the table, I took two good breakout attempts at it off the 2 and 5 but they were, at best, low percentage efforts. I finally got down to the 7 and only had a chance of three railing the combo but it missed by a mile. Well, maybe two inches!

My game has fallen a lot because of business travel. I am trying to stay home and practice/play. I cancelled a trip to Italy next week so I could play over the 4th. Now my wife wants me to go on a weekend trail ride with the horses!! GRRRRRR...

Thanks for the advice on the tickets. I guess I'll just play it by ear and try to scoop up some VIP's when I arrive. I plan to bet the $800 I save on Wendy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BillPorter
06-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Deeman, I just talked to the ticket people for the Open and they told me they aren't preselling tickets for individual sessions. Like you, I will be there for Friday and Saturday only. They told me my best bet would be to just buy individual session tickets when I arrive at about $15 a pop. Hope this helps.

Deeman
06-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Thanks, Bill. I look forward to seeing you there.

Dee

Rich R.
06-26-2003, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure about the price, but Wendy explained exactly how it works.
It is a one session VIP pass and you will need seperate passes for the afternoon and evening sessions.
Prior to the final weekend, there are plenty of seats to choose from. If some one comes for their seat, you just move to another empty one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My wife and I did this last year and it worked fine. However, we were unable to stay for the final two days, so I don't know how crowded it got on those days.

9 Ball Girl
06-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Way to go, Dee! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pooldaddy9
06-26-2003, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> http://www.chesapeakeconference.com/hotels.html

The Hampton, Holiday Inn, and Wellesley seem to be the more popular ones.

Wendy~~~will never stay at the Red Rum (Red Roof) Inn again! <hr /></blockquote>

What's wrong with the Red Roof? That's where I'm staying for about half the price. Is there something I need to know about Red Roof???

Karatemom
06-26-2003, 10:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> I'm staying at the Wellesley. It is supposed to be just next to the Conference Center. <hr /></blockquote>Same here. We'll be at the Wellsley all week.

Heide

9 Ball Girl
06-26-2003, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooldaddy9:</font><hr> What's wrong with the Red Roof? That's where I'm staying for about half the price. Is there something I need to know about Red Roof??? <hr /></blockquote>There was nothing really wrong with the Red Rum--er, I mean Red Roof Inn 'til the murder happened. Just kidding!!! Last year I spent 1 night at the Hampton and then spent Sat. and Sun. night at the Red Roof. It was definitely a downgrade and I'm the kind of girl that likes the good stuff. If I'm going to go away and stay at a hotel, I want comfort and neatness and everything in the room has to be functioning.

Maybe it was just the room that I was in. The sink had some sort of clog thing going on and I didn't bother calling it in 'cause I was only there for 2 nights. The bathtub was so friggin' high I swore I was going to need a grappling hook just to step in to take a shower! Eric stayed at the Red Roof and maybe he can back me up on that one! LOL

Wendy&lt;---will be staying at the Hampton "got the big room discount 'cause I'm a G-Person" Inn /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman
06-26-2003, 11:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> The bathtub was so friggin' high I swore I was going to need a grappling hook just to step in to take a shower! Wendy&lt;---
<hr /></blockquote>

We want to see pictures!!!

Dee

Rod
06-26-2003, 11:44 AM
Dee,
Don't bother watching the pro players. Why don't you just cruse around and see if you can find any action! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Heck if you win you'll pay for the trip and have money left over to boot. LOL

Rod

Deeman
06-26-2003, 12:33 PM
Rod,

I'll probably do some of that but with my game lately, the Open is probably not where I should be looking to match up. I've already had Wendy offer to torture me for a few bucks a set and I'm not all that sure I am a lock with that.

I may just try to wait until I see a good match up and let them do the work this time. Otherwise, I could be persuaded to play for a little. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Not expecting to get rich at the Open...

Rod
06-26-2003, 01:11 PM
LOL, Just kiding with you Dee. You sure don't want to go in anywhere and say I'll play anyone for a grand. Wendy don't torture Dee to much, he might like it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Deeman
06-26-2003, 01:31 PM
That's what frightens me, I know I'd like it. I just might not survive it!!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Dee

Deniel
06-27-2003, 12:51 AM
There's actually an inn called Red Rum??? Geezz

Red Rum spells backward is Murder, definitely not a good name for anything ^__^

Deniel

Vicki
06-27-2003, 12:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> BTW where's a good place to stay? Where's everybody staying? If this was discussed I missed it the first time around.

Wally~~needs to get a room <hr /></blockquote>

Best is the Holiday Inn - right next door. Be sure to reserve your room before the special rate expires or it will cost you. Last year we ended up paying quite a bit more than was necessary.

I can't wait for the US Open!!

Vicki

9 Ball Girl
06-27-2003, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Wendy don't torture Dee to much, he might like it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>Oh yeah? Doesn't he know that I'm also known as the female version of the Marquis de Sade? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-27-2003, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deniel:</font><hr> There's actually an inn called Red Rum??? Geezz

Red Rum spells backward is Murder, definitely not a good name for anything ^__^

Deniel <hr /></blockquote>No, it's not called the Red Rum Inn. It's called the Red Roof Inn. Matter of fact, I believe it was VoodooDaddy that called it that when he and Kato dropped me off one night after one of the US Open matches.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-27-2003, 01:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vicki:</font><hr>

Best is the Holiday Inn - right next door. Be sure to reserve your room before the special rate expires or it will cost you. Last year we ended up paying quite a bit more than was necessary.

I can't wait for the US Open!!

Vicki <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Vicki, want to share a smoking room? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kidding

Wally~~remembers how Vicki feels about smoking

cueball1950
06-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Definately stay away from the motel 6.. real dump. i have been staying at the resrum inn as wendy calls it. not so bad, considering i only slept there. as anyone will tell you. don't expect to get much sleep. with the tournament during the day and evening and the action late night at the pool hall you canb expect to stay up pretty late and lose alot of sleep. alot of us who are in the tournament play aty the poll hall until the wee hours anyway. lots of great fun with great people............................Mike