PDA

View Full Version : Why are there no heavily tattooed pro-players?

cycopath
06-26-2003, 09:50 AM
You ever noticed that there are no heavily tattooed pro-level players? I have. You know how a lot of current sports figures have excessive tattoos, i.e. basketball players, boxers, etc. I'm sure the individual organizations have nothing to do with this, I just found it curious.

Kato
06-26-2003, 10:26 AM
What if they all wear long sleeve shirts or are "vested"? Never really wondered.

Kato

pooldaddy9
06-26-2003, 10:29 AM
Hadn't thought about till you brought it up. I can't remember see any either.

Fred Agnir
06-26-2003, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> You ever noticed that there are no heavily tattooed pro-level players? I have. You know how a lot of current sports figures have excessive tattoos, i.e. basketball players, boxers, etc. I'm sure the individual organizations have nothing to do with this, I just found it curious. <hr /></blockquote>Well, for one thing, basketball players and boxers show a lot of skin. I don't think you see the same amount of skin in baseball, golf, bowling, and the like. So, even if they had a lot of tattoos, you probably aren't going to see them.

Plus, getting a tattoo can put a damper on your workout routine.

Fred

SPetty
06-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Maybe they're concerned for the "image of the game"...

hahahahaha

Karatemom
06-26-2003, 11:06 AM
I think there are tattooed pro pool players, you just don't see their artwork, like Fred said. Most pool players' legs and all or part of their arms are covered by clothing, where as in basketball, they wear the tank tops and shorts, etc. Jeanette Lee has a tattoo, and she's a pro.

Heide

cycopath
06-26-2003, 11:21 AM
I assume some players will have a small tat here or there. But I was thinking more along the line of lots of tattoos up and down the arms, you know below the elbow and the like.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-26-2003, 11:55 AM
You haven't seen the women in the Hamiltucky APA league /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

UWPoolGod
06-26-2003, 12:02 PM
What if you had a full body tattoo of a tux? Could you play in the tournament naked...minus the hip area of course?

Ralph S.
06-26-2003, 12:04 PM
I'll take your word on that one Wally. As for no heavily tattood pro players, the reason could be marketability and trying to project a cleaner image of the game.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-26-2003, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> What if you had a full body tattoo of a tux? Could you play in the tournament naked...minus the hip area of course?

<hr /></blockquote>

nAz, is that you?

Wally_in_Cincy
06-26-2003, 01:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> ....As for no heavily tattood pro players, the reason could be marketability and trying to project a cleaner image of the game. <hr /></blockquote>

I believe Spetty and I will disagree with you on that part Ralph /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

As the next generation of players makes it into the upper echelon I think you will see more tattoos and piercings.

Fred Agnir
06-26-2003, 01:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> I assume some players will have a small tat here or there. But I was thinking more along the line of lots of tattoos up and down the arms, you know below the elbow and the like. <hr /></blockquote>Would you consider this "heavily tattooed" or "a small tat here or there"?

Nothing below the elbows or the like (http://home.earthlink.net/~ohagnir/_uimages/Newback.jpg)

Fred &lt;~~~ not a pro

nAz
06-26-2003, 01:36 PM
@ Walley no not me , but i wish i thought of it first.

@ Fred is that you? ouch.

One thing about Tats I know a few old timers mostly Merchant Marines that have Tats and now in their 70-80 they look terrible on wrinkled skins. I would hate to see what they will look like on an old woman that has one drooping down with her boob /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
06-26-2003, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> @ Fred is that you? ouch.<hr /></blockquote>Yes. To both.

[ QUOTE ]
One thing about Tats I know a few old timers mostly Merchant Marines that have Tats and now in their 70-80 they look terrible on wrinkled skins. I would hate to see what they will look like on an old woemn that has on dropping down with her boob /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>I don't know what happens with the wrinkled skin, but the blobbish tattoos are a result of piss poor technique from scratchers. All too common before people really started sharing information. The blob tattoos come from the needle going too deep. The body tends to try to absorb the ink after a certain layer of skin. Newish tattoos (&lt;5 years old) that have lost color or have a lot of void areas (holidays) are usually a result from the needle not going deep enough, and therefore much of the color falls out when the upper layer of skin falls out.

The picture doesn't do it justice, but that dragon on my back is over ten years old and as bright as it was at 6 months.

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks Eric. should show a picture

Eric.
06-26-2003, 01:48 PM
Tattooed people are everywhere /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric &gt;and I don't mean Herve Villachaise

Kato
06-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Got a couple myself. Don't see any problems with them.

Kato

UWPoolGod
06-26-2003, 02:25 PM
LOL I have not reached NaZ's obscurity level quite yet.

I was just thinking that since I have met people with full tattooed arms and looks better that just one sitting out there in open pale skin areas.

pooljunkie73
06-26-2003, 03:46 PM
I've got the tattoo's but they are coverd.If i wear a short sleeve shirt they are barely visable.

Kent&lt;----not a pro(i wish) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cycopath
06-26-2003, 03:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> I assume some players will have a small tat here or there. But I was thinking more along the line of lots of tattoos up and down the arms, you know below the elbow and the like. <hr /></blockquote>Would you consider this "heavily tattooed" or "a small tat here or there"?

Nothing below the elbows or the like (http://home.earthlink.net/~ohagnir/_uimages/Newback.jpg)

Fred &lt;~~~ not a pro <hr /></blockquote>That would be "a small tat here and there".
If those same tattoos were on your face and neck then it would qualify as "Heavily Tattooed".

UWPoolGod
06-26-2003, 03:49 PM
I always wondered about people hwo get tats on the neck. I mean "if" they go to job interviews I wonder what the interviewer says. I know they are not supposed to discriminate, but if the job is selling kids shoes in a department store...I bet they don't get it.

cycopath
06-26-2003, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> I always wondered about people hwo get tats on the neck. I mean "if" they go to job interviews I wonder what the interviewer says. I know they are not supposed to discriminate, but if the job is selling kids shoes in a department store...I bet they don't get it. <hr /></blockquote>Well, it would probably depend on the tattoos. If it were tattoos of Pokemon characters or Digimon guys you'd probably get the job.

UWPoolGod
06-26-2003, 04:19 PM
Then you'd get the kids screaming "I WANT A POKEMON TATTOO MOMMY!!!"
Moms giving the guy the evil eye and dragging the screaming child out of the store.

But back to pool tattoo stuff, is there anything in the laws for tourneys that forbid tattoos. I mean if a guy was super good and made it to the finals on ESPN with EAT ME tattooed on his forehead...would they show it on TV? I doubt it...or maybe they would blur it out.

JPB
06-26-2003, 04:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> I always wondered about people hwo get tats on the neck. I mean "if" they go to job interviews I wonder what the interviewer says. I know they are not supposed to discriminate, but if the job is selling kids shoes in a department store...I bet they don't get it. <hr /></blockquote>

Guy in my area decided to pull an armed robbery. He wore a mask. But you see, he had very noticeable prison tats on his neck. Iron Cross on one side, swastika on the other. Not a good identification defense.

Q "Notice anything unusual about the robber?"

A "Yes he had neck tattoos. An Iron Cross and a swastika. And he had a big beard that is mask didn't cover."

Q "And what did they look like more exactly?"

A "Well, they're on the defendant's neck who's sitting at that table."

He'll be eligible for parole someday.

Vapros
06-26-2003, 05:27 PM
Most pool players don't have any money of their own, and the stake horses are not into body art.

Karatemom
06-26-2003, 07:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> But back to pool tattoo stuff, is there anything in the laws for tourneys that forbid tattoos. I mean if a guy was super good and made it to the finals on ESPN with EAT ME tattooed on his forehead...would they show it on TV? I doubt it...or maybe they would blur it out. <hr /></blockquote>They would probably make him wear one of those big band-aids. I've got a few friends that have nose rings and must wear a band aid over it at work or take it out. According to the company policy, they do not want the public to stereotype their employees.

Heide ~ once had to cover her tattoo for a job

nAz
06-27-2003, 01:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> LOL I have not reached NaZ's obscurity level quite yet.

I was just thinking that since I have met people with full tattooed arms and looks better that just one sitting out there in open pale skin areas. <hr /></blockquote>

You know I use to think Tats were cool when i was a kid, but know I see so many people with them. I look at it as an attention grabber for most people.
ah what do i know, to each his own. that is between them and satan /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fred Agnir
06-27-2003, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>
You know I use to think Tats were cool when i was a kid, but know I see so many people with them. I look at it as an attention grabber for most people.
ah what do i know, to each his own. that is between them and satan /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>At this point, this thread should be elsewhere, but since it's here, I'll keep it going.

Your view is not uncommon, unfortunately. So, there's a group of people who already look down on tattoos, and then there's another group of people who like tattoos but look down on people who get them because they think they're just riding a fad.

That's too bad for someone like me who has loved tattoos since I've had coherent memories. That'd be about 5 yrs. old I'd guess. I agree that many people get tattoos for shock value, but on the other hand, those that think they need to give shock value can (and do) benefit from the experience. I think everyone can personally benefit from getting a tattoo. A personally dictated permanent body modification can have a profound effect on a person's psyche.

IMO, everyone should get a tattoo.

Fred &lt;~~~ not a trend setter or trend surfer

NBC-BOB
06-27-2003, 12:10 PM
I have no idea! I was going to get a tattoo about 35 yrs ago,but never did.I remember a bunch of us Army men went to town and got drunk! One of the guys, wanted to get a tattoo, and we all went to the tattoo parlor with him.When we walked in, this guy was getting a tattoo on the cheek of his (bottom) that looked liked a meat stamp and it said
US inspected grade A meat.We were all laughing so much I guess we sobered up and no one got a tattoo.

Deeman
06-27-2003, 12:16 PM
I know this may sound strange but I always imagined the undertaker snickering at a tatoo when he had me laid out and ready to embalm. Now, that I think about it, a tatoo would be the least thing he will have to laugh at!

I just guess most players are too busy hitting balls to get much more than small, simple tatoos.

06-28-2003, 08:38 AM
Dont be too sure about this, players in the past have been prevented from having national exposure because they were black, or white players just because they were deemed too ugly. One player had bad burns on his face and was kept out. If a pro player is stupid enough to tatoo himself like a carney freak side show and try to perform in public he just shot himself in the head. The BCA will never help or support him because he projects this biker bum image. No pro can every be successful unless he attracts and lands sponsors. Once he achieves this he has a 6 figure income locked up. The people who run these companies and write these checks are mostly conservative middle aged white men who think a player looking like Dennis Rodman with a bolt in his nose is disgusting. They would never put a dime behind some punk kid with no brains and no smarts who shows up in public looking like that. The people you described looking like that are boxers and basketball players, and are all mostly black. Most of them to put it nicely are not too smart. What do you think the IQ of Mike Tyson is. Half of the chimps in the zoo would out score him. How many white golfers do you see looking like that. How many tatoos or bolts in his tounge do you see on Tiger Woods. Same on Tennis players. These people have professional managers who wont let a young player do something stupid like getting a tatoo which hurts his image with the general public. That image may fly in the biker bar you hang out in, but it does not fly on TV and it does not sell in Peroia. If you want to run around looking like some druggie black rapper criminal, then go into the music business. That image will not sell in any sport, other than boxing and basketball. If you are 7' tall and dont mind making your living playing in your underware, then tatoo your body and look like a jungle snake. If you want to be a pro player, it is best to look as conservative as possible. If you want to be a road money player, same thing. You dont want any marks on your body that can ID you. The word will get out, look out for the guy coming in with this big tatoo on his forearm, mom and born to lose and this silver bolt in his nose and the button in the end of his tounge. How smart is that. The gambler must blend in and be non descript.
Then he can change his appearance and dress and people will not pick up who he is. That is how I do it, and when I come into your room, you will never know who I am nor will you ever guess when I beat you for money that I am really 10 times better than you. I just play barely above you speed to win. I can come back 6 months later and grow a beard and dye my hair, wear a hat, play you again, and you probably wont connect it was me that was the one that got you before. You are wondering, did he get me? I am in my mid 20's and am from N.C. There are a number of players my same age from N.C., running around doing what I am doing and you cant ID any of us. We were all trained by the same guy and every one of us could beat Earl when we were 16, so now with 10 years of road gambling experience behind us, how good do you think we are now? You have no chance and neither does the best stick in your house against us.

BillPorter
06-28-2003, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Billy:</font><hr> There are a number of players my same age from N.C., running around doing what I am doing and you cant ID any of us. We were all trained by the same guy and every one of us could beat Earl when we were 16, so now with 10 years of road gambling experience behind us, how good do you think we are now? You have no chance and neither does the best stick in your house against us. <hr /></blockquote>

A hoard of unknown 16 year olds in North Carolina who could beat Earl Strickland???? Meaning no disrespect here, but this is stretching credibility to the breaking point. OK, I mean PAST the breaking point. I guess all of you could give Efren the 8 and the pops?

Deeman
06-28-2003, 11:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Billy:</font><hr> Dont be too sure about this, players in the past have been prevented from having national exposure because they were black, or white players just because they were deemed too ugly. One player had bad burns on his face and was kept out. If a pro player is stupid enough to tatoo himself like a carney freak side show and try to perform in public he just shot himself in the head. The BCA will never help or support him because he projects this biker bum image. No pro can every be successful unless he attracts and lands sponsors. Once he achieves this he has a 6 figure income locked up. The people who run these companies and write these checks are mostly conservative middle aged white men who think a player looking like Dennis Rodman with a bolt in his nose is disgusting. They would never put a dime behind some punk kid with no brains and no smarts who shows up in public looking like that. The people you described looking like that are boxers and basketball players, and are all mostly black. Most of them to put it nicely are not too smart. What do you think the IQ of Mike Tyson is. Half of the chimps in the zoo would out score him. How many white golfers do you see looking like that. How many tatoos or bolts in his tounge do you see on Tiger Woods. Same on Tennis players. These people have professional managers who wont let a young player do something stupid like getting a tatoo which hurts his image with the general public. That image may fly in the biker bar you hang out in, but it does not fly on TV and it does not sell in Peroia. If you want to run around looking like some druggie black rapper criminal, then go into the music business. That image will not sell in any sport, other than boxing and basketball. If you are 7' tall and dont mind making your living playing in your underware, then tatoo your body and look like a jungle snake. If you want to be a pro player, it is best to look as conservative as possible. If you want to be a road money player, same thing. You dont want any marks on your body that can ID you. The word will get out, look out for the guy coming in with this big tatoo on his forearm, mom and born to lose and this silver bolt in his nose and the button in the end of his tounge. How smart is that. The gambler must blend in and be non descript.
Then he can change his appearance and dress and people will not pick up who he is. That is how I do it, and when I come into your room, you will never know who I am nor will you ever guess when I beat you for money that I am really 10 times better than you. I just play barely above you speed to win. I can come back 6 months later and grow a beard and dye my hair, wear a hat, play you again, and you probably wont connect it was me that was the one that got you before. You are wondering, did he get me? I am in my mid 20's and am from N.C. There are a number of players my same age from N.C., running around doing what I am doing and you cant ID any of us. We were all trained by the same guy and every one of us could beat Earl when we were 16, so now with 10 years of road gambling experience behind us, how good do you think we are now? You have no chance and neither does the best stick in your house against us. <hr /></blockquote>

I had all the answers when I was your age too. Come back in a few years and let us know how all your points prove out. I'd also, like Bill, really like to see the string of 16 year old horses you have that can club Earl. It a shame they are wasting away with no exposure. Oh, yeah, that's right, they are all out making such big coins they can't bother with the big boys. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Michelle
06-29-2003, 02:02 PM
If the "next generation" of players has a lot of tata and piercings, I wonder if the dress codes will start changing.
I can see the fights that could break out if a player is asked to remove an eyebrow piercing or something for a tournament....