PDA

View Full Version : Bert Kinnister videos ??

spanky
06-26-2003, 11:20 AM
Hello all, longtime lurker, new poster. I am an intermediate level 9 ball player looking to solidify my game.
I have heard of the Bert Kinnister videos but do not know anyone who actually has them. Any opinions about the videos ? Recommendations on which to get ?
I plan on getting BlackJack's book and the BlackBeltBilliards books to start.
Thanks

Wally_in_Cincy
06-27-2003, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spanky:</font><hr> Hello all, longtime lurker, new poster. I am an intermediate level 9 ball player looking to solidify my game.
I have heard of the Bert Kinnister videos but do not know anyone who actually has them. Any opinions about the videos ? Recommendations on which to get ?
I plan on getting BlackJack's book and the BlackBeltBilliards books to start.
Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

I highly recommend Black Belt Billiards.

As for Kinister, I have a 4-tape series-The short game, The medium(?) game, The long game, and Putting it all together. They're ok but not worth $100. I can't believe I spent that much on those /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

One tape I do think is worth the money is Number 30-"It's a Hanger" That's a very good tape.

Many here have recommended "The 60 minute workout for 8-ball and 9-ball"

Hope this helps,
Good luck

Fred Agnir
06-27-2003, 09:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spanky:</font><hr> Hello all, longtime lurker, new poster. I am an intermediate level 9 ball player looking to solidify my game.
<hr /></blockquote>Review of Several Kinister Tapes (http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=19990130164813.21075.00000294%40ng108. aol.com&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;output=gplain)

HTH,

FA

dmgwalsh
06-27-2003, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote spanky:</font><hr>
As for Kinister, I have a 4-tape series-The short game, The medium(?) game, The long game, and Putting it all together. They're ok but not worth $100. I can't believe I spent that much on those /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Good luck <hr /></blockquote>

I bought all 4 of those but haven't looked at them yet.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-27-2003, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> I bought all 4 of those but haven't looked at them yet. <hr /></blockquote>

You should check them out. There's some nice drills in there. Just not $100 worth /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

spanky
06-27-2003, 01:57 PM
Thanks all for the info. I am mainly interested in drills I guess. From what I've heard the Kinnister videos teach to recognize particular "common" shots and repeat until you have them cold. I think I will hold off and wait until I get the BlackBeltBilliards book and BlackJack's new book and try the drills out in those.

spanky
06-27-2003, 02:00 PM
My main drawback in my pocket billiards games are due to speed control. I can usually make the shots but start to get out of line due to errors in speed. Once out of line I am constantly trying to get back in line and it just incrementally becomes worse.
I recognize that my poor play is as much a direct result of poor speed control than anything else. Any drills relating directly to speed control would be what I'm looking for the most.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-27-2003, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spanky:</font><hr> My main drawback in my pocket billiards games are due to speed control. I can usually make the shots but start to get out of line due to errors in speed.

<font color="blue">I feel your pain brother /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Somebody from the other team was bitching at me last night because my handicap went down. I just looked at them and said "i have no cue ball control" (the truth) </font color>

Once out of line I am constantly trying to get back in line and it just incrementally becomes worse.
I recognize that my poor play is as much a direct result of poor speed control than anything else. Any drills relating directly to speed control would be what I'm looking for the most.

<font color="blue"> Black Belt Billiards is full of those. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

phil in sofla
06-27-2003, 05:10 PM
If you get Black Belt Billiards, you'll find the 'short game, medium game, long game' drills of Kinnister's there, or at least a couple of them, which would save your investing in them.

For speed control, Bert has a relatively new tape on that exact subject, although I haven't seen it to know how good it is.

The good part about Bert's ads is that they state what each tape covers, and you can concentrate on areas you seek special help with. The 'Deflection' Tape was at least at one time Bert's claimed most important tape ever, basically describing a variation of backhand English that allows the application of more English than imaginable, WITHOUT a need to adjust the aim line for deflection. He said this was one of the true secrets of pool he saw various champion level players use, but hadn't figured out until as of the tape, and that it was a key to going to the 'next level.'

I found his kicking tape valuable, and the series he did with Don 'The Preacher' Feeney, maybe 6 of them, very informative as well.

Hopster
06-27-2003, 11:37 PM
I ordered a few of the old time ESPN matches from Bert a few months ago and my vcr spit one of them out on the floor and it cracked the case. I called Bert up and he replaced it no charge, no long storys or nothing. I spoke to him on the phone for a while and he seemed like a good guy.
Anyway during the BCA tourny here last month, im in the cue club playing with my wife and on the table next to us are three people playing also. So after about 1/2 hour i listen to this one guys voice wearing a white sox shirt and it hit me, thats Bert !! lol, i walked over and introduced myself and he remembered sending me the tape and all. We had a good laugh over it, me just remembering his voice.