PDA

View Full Version : Music industry plans raid on Net piracy

nAz
06-26-2003, 12:33 PM
While Orin Hatch's stupid rhetoric about sabotaging the computers of people that download illegal music is likely to go nowhere, the RIAA is moving right along.

http://www.sunspot.net/technology/bal-piracy0625,0,2320112.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

Kato
06-26-2003, 01:31 PM
What do you figure Naz. Are we all going to be fined $150,000? I've got no money, what ya gonna do?

Kato

nAz
06-26-2003, 01:43 PM
Ha i like to see them try to sue everyone, they would go broke. anyway if it happens i'll just set up a file sharing server in Cuba, i'm sure Castro will back me up and tell them to F off /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No way am i giving up my 12 gigs of err legal MP3s and other software. oops /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

eg8r
06-26-2003, 01:52 PM
This is really going to be a mess. I wonder if the amount of money the RIAA is going to spend on this investigation and lawsuit circus will be more than the amount they say they lose in lost sales.

eg8r

Kato
06-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Couldn't we just slash and burn our programs, let it blow over and then go from there? Maybe put everything on zip drives or something?

Kato~~~ain't worried, but careful.

nAz
06-27-2003, 12:35 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39211000/gif/_39211792_file_sharing_416.gif

Kato
06-27-2003, 12:48 AM
Well yippy freakin' skippy.

Kato

nAz
06-27-2003, 12:57 AM
haha now you know how they will track you down dude. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

watch your back!

Kato
06-27-2003, 06:08 AM
I'll burn everything!!!!!!!!! You'll never pin this one on me!!!!!!!!!!

Arrrgggghhhhh

Kato~~~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Qtec
06-27-2003, 06:33 AM
THIS IS THE FBI.
PUT YOUR HANDS AGAINST THE WALL , SPREAD EM .
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO............ /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Q

Candyman
06-27-2003, 11:27 AM
It is my understanding RRIA is going to be monitoring for a month or two to see how many people they can catch. They will then prosecute these people to the full extent of the law. These people will be examples for the rest of us. We are suppose to get really scared. The plan is working for me, but I still have my manhood. My illegal cable is still hooked up and working. Ya'll have a good day. Lock

Kato
06-27-2003, 12:01 PM
Since I have had to go to dial up I'm not file sharing because it's too slow. Oh well, what are they gonna do to me, take my last $7? Big whoop.

Kato~~~will probably be made an example of.

highsea
06-27-2003, 12:06 PM
I haven't taken one of these applications apart, and I don't run them personally, so I don't know the answer to this, but do they stay resident? When you are logged in is the app. always running in background? If so, you should terminate the process when online. If it's not resident, then they won't be able to see you anyway unless you are running the app.

It might be wise to not offer songs to download for a while, it sounds like those are the guys they are going to target, rather than the guy who uploads.

Also, I suspect they were monitoring well before the announcement was made. Why announce your intentions, if your goal is to grab a few poor suckers and make an example out of them? They know they can't go after everyone.

My guess is that they already have their list of targets. They make the announcement, then a few weeks later the cases get filed. Everyone says "Gee, they weren't kidding".

-CM

Sid_Vicious
06-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Ya know the net has almost been ruined with all this post-policing. It(internet) began as a total anonymity venue, which of course HAD to be altered with terrorism concerns, BUT THE FEDS ARE RUNNING TOO FAR WITH THIS! I find if just shi!ty that we Americans have had rights diminished as we have since 9-11. Our own government is playing right along with Alqeida's(sp?) wish to alter our lifestyles by keeping everyone wondering if they are being watched for where they surf and what they might download. Big Business and politics is going to screw with us more and more...you heard from me, watch out...sid

Kato
06-27-2003, 01:11 PM
I agree Sid.

Kato

Qtec
06-27-2003, 01:31 PM
Its just a file sharing prog. When you go on line , others can access your 'shared file'.I dont see that they can prosecute because some total stranger has downloaded a file from your comp. , and no money changes hands. Nobody is making money . There is usually at least 3 million linked in at at one moment.

Q

highsea
06-27-2003, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Its just a file sharing prog. When you go on line , others can access your 'shared file'.I dont see that they can prosecute because some total stranger has downloaded a file from your comp. , and no money changes hands. Nobody is making money . There is usually at least 3 million linked in at at one moment.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

I understand that it is a P2P file sharing app. They can prosecute because you are distributing copyrighted material without permission. It doesn't matter whether you are making money at it, their position is that they are losing money because someone gets the song for free rather than buying it. Therefore the person distributing the song is liable for the copyright holder's loss of anticipated profit.

This is a valid legal argument, like it or not.

What I was suggesting is this; don't let these programs run all the time you are online. If the program loads on startup, you should manually terminate the process when you are not downloading. This way it is more difficult for them to say you are distributing copyrighted materials.

-CM

Qtec
06-27-2003, 03:03 PM
The whole point of Kazaa is that everybody SHARES. If everybody did what you suggest ,you could never DL what you want. If I DL from your comp. and you go offline , i dont have anything .
Kazaa is only good for music . I never DL anything that takes too much time.
Its all about sharing .
I do have some interesting UFO video clips . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I buy a book . I can let somebody else read it . Kazaa is a bit like that .

Q

PS. 50ct is gooooooood /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

eg8r
06-27-2003, 03:13 PM
Hard headed or not, you can stay connected all you want. Highsea was merely offering some advice for avoiding getting caught.

[ QUOTE ]
If I buy a book . I can let somebody else read it . Kazaa is a bit like that .<hr /></blockquote> This is completely wrong. To correct your example, if you bought a book, and scanned in all the pages as images to your computer and then shared them across some P2P network, then you would be acting in the same manner as those on Kazaa. If you were just passing along the original CD that you purchased there is no issue with that.

eg8r

eg8r
06-27-2003, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It(internet) began as a total anonymity venue, which of course HAD to be altered with terrorism concerns, BUT THE FEDS ARE RUNNING TOO FAR WITH THIS! <hr /></blockquote> I think you are getting a bit off base. What is happening now is not due to terrorism at all. Did you forget Napster?

If you want to talk about big brother watching over you then that is a different topic from this thread. The RIAA is just looking out for themselves just like you would if you made anything that was being pirated.

I enjoy P2P just like the rest of you, however I am not jaded in any way. I understand their issue with P2P and it is perfectly legitimate (I just don't like it).

eg8r

Qtec
06-27-2003, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is completely wrong. To correct your example, if you bought a book, and scanned in all the pages as images to your computer and then shared them across some P2P network, then you would be acting in the same manner as those on Kazaa. If you were just passing along the original CD that you purchased there is no issue with that.
<hr /></blockquote>

If I have a book , and I want to send it to you I could send it the 'old fashioned way 'by mail . Takes about a week . OR I could send the whole thing as data over the internet and you would recieve it instantly .
The fact is , you cant hold back technology .Sometimes it works for you [ CD] and sometimes against { CD recorder] .

Q