PDA

View Full Version : How much could your best spot your worst?

BillPorter
03-30-2002, 07:24 PM
Sometimes when I'm playing poorly, it occurs to me that my very best nine-ball game is probably the seven and the break better than my worst nine-ball game. In one-hole, my best could probably spot my worst three balls--maybe three and the break. At my best, running out a rack of 8-ball doesn't seem particularly difficult, while at my worst, a three ball run may seem challenging. Just wondered who out there has the largest gap between best and worst...whose best could give their worst the 6 and the pops in 9-ball or maybe 8 to 4 in one-pocket.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-30-2002, 08:14 PM
Interesting viewpoint.. I've never thought of the difference between my best and my off days.. as far as handicaps go.. but I'll give it a try...

In 14.1 by best would give my worst a 15 ball start
In One hole 9-7 at the very most or maybe 2 games in a race to 7
In 9 ball 3 games on the wire in a race to 11
In 8 ball 2 games on the wire in a race to 7
In banks (15 ball rack) 9-7 (9 ball rack) 2 games in a race to 7

BillPorter
03-30-2002, 10:42 PM
Tom,

Using games on the wire is a good idea here. I should have thought of that. Missed you at Snookers today. Johnny Reb took first. Maybe we'll see you next week.

stickman
03-30-2002, 11:17 PM
This is just a guess, but in 9 ball probably 2 games on the wire in a race to 5.

03-31-2002, 07:51 AM
In a race to 9. I'd say 6 games on the wire. I don't know how there could be such a large gap between my bad days and my good days. Makes reluctant to play anyone for any money because I don't know which is going to show up.

BillPorter
03-31-2002, 08:15 AM
Anonymous,

Wow, 6 games on the wire...I might have that big a gap myself now that I think back to a match some months ago. I was playing a better player and getting the 7. I kept the match close for a while, but he finally started running out from everywhere and I went into a total collapse. By the end of that match, every shot looked near impossible...I knew that a miss would be loss of game. If you take that as I absolute worst, I could probably give myself 6 in a race to 9. It's like you said; there are several pool players within each of us and we don't always know which one will show up (or how long they will stay!)

stickman
03-31-2002, 08:56 AM
Even though I still have a considerable gap between my best and worst game. I don't think it is as much as it used to be. This discussion makes me wonder how much is mental attitude. I used to go to my matches and during warmups unconsciously make a determination as to how I was going to play, based on how I hit the first few balls. I've played enough now that I don't let this deter me. I know that even though I hit a few bad balls, I can still recover to play well. Perhaps the more consistant players have a better developed mental attitude. Afterall, the body should be able to repeat the desired requirements fairly consistantly, after a certain amount of repetition. The exception is that at my age, my body isn't always capable of repeat performances. LOL