PDA

View Full Version : Question ??

06-26-2003, 03:07 PM
As I am new here, it it permissable to advertise a Cue I have for sale here or no ??
Moderator - I would appreciate your view on this - thanks

Dick /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

heater451
06-26-2003, 04:13 PM
Board Rules (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/viewprivacy.php?Cat=) [ QUOTE ]
- Participants may not use the Forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind.<hr /></blockquote>First of all, I'm certainly not a/the moderator. However, I think the rule reads with "advertisements" being a "commercial solicitation", as it relates to full-time business--just my opinion though.

As it is, sometimes a cue gets posted for sale, and the post either goes unnoticed, or isn't against the rules, so it remains.

Personally, I don't think that the occasional "for sale" post is harmful, as long as it's not your business, and you're posting 10s to 100s of ads.

If you're really unsure of what to do, you can simply mention that you have a cue for sale and mention the type, and request that people PM you for details, instead of replying to the post.

On the other hand, you may want to PM the Admin directly. You can use the "ccb_admin" link, under the Extra Information bar near the bottom of this post/window.

=========================

bolo
06-26-2003, 05:22 PM
"Participants may not use the Forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind."

looks pretty clear to me.

06-26-2003, 11:41 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your replies.......

Dick

eg8r
06-27-2003, 05:30 AM
I think the part "of any kind" makes up for any non-business related solicitations.

Anyways, BW tried to sell a cue here a little while ago and they removed her post. I noticed that Buckshot decided to still make the post, so lets see how long it will last. Surely the mods will not allow one member to post an ad and not allow another.

eg8r

Qtec
06-27-2003, 06:20 AM
I think members should be allowed to sell their old cues [ 2nd hand ] .
Q

06-27-2003, 06:35 AM
Well, it didnt last long. I posted an indirect ad last night about 1:00 a.m. asking for PM if interested. I find the ad has been removed this moring by 8:45.

I would have thought the Mod could have responded, as I requested rather than just remove it. So much for positive relations.

Dick /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

06-27-2003, 06:49 AM
OOPs, I am wrong and apologize to the Mods. The post for the Phillippi Cue is still listed.

Buckshot /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eg8r
06-27-2003, 06:59 AM
They are allowed to sell them. I believe the mods just do not allow you to advertise them. Personally, if you are a regular and just want to get rid of a cue then it should be fine, however as we all know, it does not stop there.

I guess the mods have decided that it is not worth their time to open another board for "For Sale" items. It might be because BD does not get any proceeds, I don't know. I never do this, but I would suggest Buckshot to post on the "For Sale" section at Azbilliards.

eg8r

bolo
06-27-2003, 07:01 AM
A second forum would be great for that, but it would get out of hand I bet, if they allowed it on here. Just the way people are.

SPetty
06-27-2003, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Personally, if you are a regular and just want to get rid of a cue then it should be fine, however as we all know, it does not stop there. <hr /></blockquote>It doesn't stop there because of a very small minority of people here who advocate such strict adherence to this wishy-washy rule. Most of the "not stoppings" have I've seen in response to people offering stuff for sale are from the anti-for-sale zealots who end up posting far more than the original poster's for sale ever would have generated. (I am absolutely not singling anyone out because I absolutely can't remember anyone's names associated with any previous sale post at all and I'm not about to go back and search.)

I think we should be able to talk about buying and selling pool-related items, we should be able to talk about various pool learnings and teachings, we should be able to announce and invite folks to pool tournaments, etc.

If anyone ever asks "is it O.K. to sell things here?", one or two people respond that it's not. Well, what if we responded that "yes, it's O.K.". What will happen? We'll all have a better idea of what's for sale out there, what the values are, maybe even find a few long lost or stolen cues.

We're all pool enthusiasts - wouldn't most of us be interested?

Someone must have punched the "tattletale" button on this guy's other post, because I don't see it any more. Based on some of the posts that have disappeared, it apparently just takes one!

Wally_in_Cincy
06-27-2003, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>

...We're all pool enthusiasts - wouldn't most of us be interested?.... <hr /></blockquote>

Yes. I agree. Folks should be able to sell stuff. Except for that IMMSHARMA dude. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fran Crimi
06-27-2003, 01:16 PM
SPetty, I sort of felt the same as you about this initially, but when I tried to imagine what this message board would look like if everyone found out they could sell stuff here, it really made me cringe. You wouldn't see an occasional ad here and there. This place would be flooded with ads. It would be horrible. Do you have any idea how many people have cues for sale in this country? ...and that's just cues.

The other option would be for BD to set up a separate forum for ads. But that wouldn't make sense for the magazine to compete with itself unless it charged for posts in the ad forum.

As for tattletales, I've been told that BD regularly monitors the site for ads. I don't think anyone would have to alert them to an ad.

Fran