PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rico needs sponsor for Cardiff

Harold Acosta
06-26-2003, 04:58 PM
As some of you may know, last year Puerto Rico obtained a spot for the 2002 World Pool Championship at Cardiff through a wild-card. Many CCBer's suggested and we got Tony Robles to represent our country at Cardiff since he is of Puerto Rican heritage and he had not gotten an invitation.

This year, we formed a recognized federation in Puerto Rico, and have been attached to the Pan-American Confederation (CPB) under the umbrella of the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA).

Matchroom Sports granted 8 positions to the CPB, and recently 40 players from 14 Central and Latin American countries competed in Rosario, Argentina for those 8 spots to Cardiff. One of our players named Alan Rolon arrived third in the Pan-American and won a spot to represent Puerto Rico at Cardiff.

The PR Federation fees and the trip for Alan Rolon to Argentina, was sponsored by private donations from players and room owners in Puerto Rico. Altogether, about $1,280 was spent on this effort.

Now we find ourselves without the money to pay for the trip for Alan Rolon to Cardiff. We have made contacts with the PR Olimpic Committee, State and Local Governments, Beverage companies and other companies in Puerto Rico with no possitive results. I also made contacts through email with about 40 Billiard related companies from the US and abroad. So far only 6 companies have responded with negative results.

We need to confirm Alan's participation in Cardiff by June 30th. The trip to Cardiff from Puerto Rico is $1,247. Travel would be from Puerto Rico to New York, to Amsterdam, and then to Cardiff. The different flights total 18 hours of travel time, but it will take almost 24 hours to get to Cardiff from Puerto Rico. This does not include his stay at Cardiff which would be another $1,300 aproximately. We have been able to obtain about $135 in private donations and we are running out of time.

If any of you are interested in helping us get Alan Rolon to Cardiff, we will deeply appreciate your assistance. We are truly trying to obtain the plane ticket; we would do are best to obtain money for Mr. Alan's stay.

Please feel free to send me a private message, contact through this forum or at my email address.

I hope not to disturb any of you with this request, and I truly hope I am not breaching any rules of the CCB.

Any serious response, suggestions, or comments are welcomed.

Thanks to all of you who one way or another helped me last year with Tony's participation in Cardiff.

Yours truly....

Harold Acosta - Puerto Rico
<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif