PDA

View Full Version : BCA Expo this July

UWPoolGod
06-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Are the billiards expos open to the public? I mean I am sure there would be a cover to get in, but can anyone go or is it just for vendors?

SPetty
06-27-2003, 10:31 AM
Hi Todd,

Look here:

http://www.bca-pool.com/cgi/site/framegate.cgi?url=http://www.bca-pool.com/industry/expo/start.shtml

It has these words:
"This is a business-to-business show only; not open to the public. If you are not a current BCA business member, you must produce proof of industry affiliation such as a current Yellow Pages ad or business license. Business cards will not be accepted as proof."

And an email link to click for more info...

UWPoolGod
06-27-2003, 11:36 AM
That is so dumb. You know how much more money the pool industry would make if a one time expo was open to the public. I know the suppliers want to sell to the distributors to make a profit, and in turn sell to the public for profit, but man. How often can Joe Schmo get together with all of the custom cue makers and suppliers to try stuff out or buy equipment. NEVER, unless I am mistaken. I would be there in a heartbeat if I could meet all of the makers in one place. Oh well, maybe it is just me.

Todd

SPetty
06-27-2003, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> How often can Joe Schmo get together with all of the custom cue makers and suppliers to try stuff out or buy equipment. NEVER, unless I am mistaken. I would be there in a heartbeat if I could meet all of the makers in one place. <hr /></blockquote>I'd recommend that you make plans to attend Allen Hopkins' Super Billiards Expo held near Philadelphia each March. I had the opportunity to go once, and I think you'll find what you're looking for there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vicki
06-27-2003, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> That is so dumb. You know how much more money the pool industry would make if a one time expo was open to the public. I know the suppliers want to sell to the distributors to make a profit, and in turn sell to the public for profit, but man. How often can Joe Schmo get together with all of the custom cue makers and suppliers to try stuff out or buy equipment. NEVER, unless I am mistaken. I would be there in a heartbeat if I could meet all of the makers in one place. Oh well, maybe it is just me.

Todd <hr /></blockquote>

Todd,

There are several other opportunities for customers to mingle with cuemakers and table manufacturers and other industry professionals. The next opportunity will be the Midwest Expo in Chicago (August), then the US Open in Chesapeake, VA (September), then the Derby City Classic in Louisville, KY (January), then the Hopkins' Super Billiards Expo in Valley Forge, PA (March).

The Super Billiards Expo is the same type show as the BCA Trade Show. It has the same vendors exhibiting the same products BUT the Hopkins' show also has PLAYERS. The BCA trade show has conflicted with the World Championships for the last few years and has had almost no players. There are pro tournaments at the Expo and it is herds more fun and interesting. Trust me, I've been to both the Trade Show and Expo and I'd rather do the Expo any day over the Trade Show.

The point of the trade show is for manufacturers to sell in quantity to new pool rooms (like 20 new tables and 150 cues and 20 sets of balls and 25 racks and all the bells &amp; whistles) and for cuemakers to sell at a discount to their dealers and to acquire new dealers. The Trade Show does not want the average consumer coming in and trying to by a cue for themselves at 40% off.

The Super Billiard Expo is to pool players what the circus is to children. It's like a pilgramage to Israel or to Lourdes. If you haven't been, I highly recommend it.

www.superbilliardsexpo.com (http://www.superbilliardsexpo.com)

Vicki

UWPoolGod
06-27-2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll try to get reservation then for the SBE next March. Thanks for the responses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-27-2003, 12:20 PM
Is there still a Los Angeles Billiard Expo? That would be a shorter trip for Todd.

highsea
06-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Hi Vicky,
Thanks for the info. Is there anything for us guys out here on the left coast? At least Vegas is pretty close by.

All the others, Chicago, VA, KY, PA, are quite a ways to go.

-CM &lt;~~~feeling neglected /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

UWPoolGod
06-27-2003, 12:27 PM
Yeah that was my main thing, like anything in Reno? At least Reno is a short 10 hour drive. That is my biggest pet peave about the Pool industry and tourney trail, is that nothing reaches into the Northwest. I e-mail chatted with someone from the WPBA for a while about finding a venue up here, and there are plenty. But nothing ever came of it. Do all of the tables for major tourneys always stay at each location? Or do tables travel to different venues? There are plenty of convention halls, or Indian casions for that matter to house tourneys or expos.

Vicki
06-27-2003, 12:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Is there still a Los Angeles Billiard Expo? That would be a shorter trip for Todd. <hr /></blockquote>

I just read on AZ Billiards that the LA Expo has been cancelled due to a scheduling conflict with another event that has not yet been resolved. Too bad for the left coast. They really need a good Expo type event there. I went to the first LA Expo at the Hollywood Park Pavilion. It was the single worst event of my life. Positively horrible. I heard they pulled it together in the second annual event (last year) but now it is cancelled. I wish they would reschedule it because I'd like to go back and have a better experience.

Vicki

Vicki
06-27-2003, 12:41 PM
The annual BCA and APA tournaments in Vegas in May are good places to start. There are always vendors but not on the same scale as the Expo. It's the next best thing, I guess.

Vicki

Hopster
06-27-2003, 01:56 PM
I went to this at the sands expo center in 94 i think and paid $10 at the door to get it. Im going to try to get in again anyway. If they dont charge, i will get a badge off somebody somehow.
I got my pic took with Jimmy Caras at that one.

Barbara
06-27-2003, 02:15 PM
I think at one time Allen Hopkins was considering a Super Billiards Expo West.

Or was it Mid-west?

Barbara~~~SBE staffer..

bolo
06-27-2003, 02:27 PM
It's a $100.00 now and you have to be in the biz.

UWPoolGod
06-27-2003, 02:34 PM
And I am sure that a Super Billiards Expo West would be located in Cali. Which is better that PA, but still another item not in the NW. I can understand that all of the makers only have so much time to spend at these conventions, so they cannot do 5 or 10 a year. I wish they could...so they could visit any major city. However that is now the case. I'll just have to plan a trip if one come halfway this way.

Hopster
06-27-2003, 11:32 PM
It's a $100.00 now and you have to be in the biz. &lt;--Bolo

$100 to go to an expo ?? These guys must be snorting some high grade stuff to charge a cecil. I will still give it a shot though. Miracles do happen. lol

06-28-2003, 07:51 AM
Hopster, you still just dont get it do you. You are not invited, you are not welcome, they dont want you in there to be able to see the top players on earth to perform and show and see and meet the people who make this stuff and to be able to shop and try it out. They dont want your money and would not let you in for $500. It is for insiders only, for mfgrs to sell to their dealers and distributors. They are displaying their wholesale cost and they dont want you seeing that. A dealer will pay a c note to get in just in order to be able to shop. There are fantastic special show prices offered by everyone so he saves that c note back many times over. The c note seperates the amateurs from the pros in the business. This is not a retail show and it is not for the general public. If you ever get in, what you will see will blow your socks off. I have no problem getting in every year. Every mfgr has 20 passes he can give out that gets people in for free. If you know people, you moouch one and your in. If you dont have any connections, you dont get in. Thats the story.

bolo
06-28-2003, 08:38 AM
Not true, was once not anymore it is very limited. If you are going as a buyer you used to be able to get passes for you employes not any more. Everyone pays period, you can't even get a pass for a spouse. I am not sure what show you have been to, but it is not a real happening event. Just a dry trade show with tables and cues, pool room supplies and so on. A few pros walking around not that much going on. It is for doing business. They hardly have exibitions any more, last year almost none.

Bob
06-28-2003, 11:01 AM
Alan Hopkins runs one of the best Expos for billiards. His staff and the hotel have perfected the name Expo. I would reccomend going to his event, it is worth your time.

If you want to attend a expo this year, ther is one in the Chicago area called The Midwest Billiard Expo/open the websites are www.midwestbilliardexpo.com (http://www.midwestbilliardexpo.com) or www.midwestopen.com (http://www.midwestopen.com) They feature both APA and BCA events and have non stop action for 4 days. The expo part contains 120 vendor booths of cues, billiard related merchandise and rec room specialities.

The OPEN 9 Ball tournament is filling quick, so if you plan to attend and play, get your registration in soon.

Bob

Hopster
06-28-2003, 11:18 AM
If you ever get in, what you will see will blow your socks off. I have no problem getting in every year. &lt;--Billy

Were you born an idiot or did you just work hard to reach the level youre at ?
What are they showing, a new cure for cancer ?? Whats so top secret ? You want to jerk somebodys chain i suggest you try an easier spot than me.

06-28-2003, 12:45 PM
Just ignore him, Hopster.

It's just one more of FL's many personalities...

Hopster
06-28-2003, 12:50 PM
Just ignore him, Hopster.

It's just one more of FL's many personalities...&lt;--Dmorris

Either him or one of the retards from playpools board.
I think some of them talk just to hear themselves cause no one else wants to.
Take care buddy.