PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow is my big Scott Lee lesson

Kato
06-27-2003, 01:37 PM
I'm expecting nothing less than a miracle /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif and to get to meet another CCB'er. If Scott can pound 1 simple thing into my brick-like skull then I'll consider the lesson a complete success. If he can teach me never to miss.................well, then he's a genius.

Kato

spanky
06-27-2003, 02:11 PM
I think you will like your lessons from Scott. I have never formally had a lesson with him, but he gets to DesMoines every now and then. I drew him first round one time in a local 9 ball tourney and got a lesson. Race to 6. I lost 6-2. I think I only won 2 games cause he was busy talking with friends and not really trying in the tourney.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif He snapped back to back 9's on me at one point.

Seriously though, I did learn a lot about the break from watching him. Very smooth break, always kept the cueball dead center table and the balls spread like magic.

Happy Shootin'

Wally_in_Cincy
06-27-2003, 02:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I'm expecting nothing less than a miracle /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue"> Man why don't you put some pressure on the poor guy /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

and to get to meet another CCB'er. If Scott can pound 1 simple thing into my brick-like skull then I'll consider the lesson a complete success.

<font color="blue">You will learn. Make sure he analyzes your mechanics for flaws. Well he will anyway. </font color>

If he can teach me never to miss.................well, then he's a genius.

<font color="blue">Now we're back to that miracle thing LOL </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

dmgwalsh
06-27-2003, 02:31 PM
I got a lesson several weeks ago in Chicago. I had some flaws in my stroke that he worked hard to fix. My shoulder kept dipping as I stroked. He had me grip the stick further up and worked on my lag speed, 3 rails, break speed, one rail and some drills. Although the lesson went over the time, he kept teaching til he had to leave for another lesson. He's pretty darn good.

06-27-2003, 03:06 PM
I had 11 hours with Scott on Monday. It was exhausting but wonderful. He liked my stance and break (surprisingly), and the fact that my swing was solid, so he didn't change anything there. But he did notice how I have a short swing path which was causing my follow through to be way too short and causing me to shoot way too hard to get cueball action, so we worked most of the day on fixing that. I can't pot balls worth a lick now because the change is so awkward that my accuracy is affected, but my speed and cueball control are much improved because of the better follow through. He also helped me with jumping, which was something I've been having trouble doing lately -- I jumped pretty well years ago, but since I started playing again after a long hiatus I just couldn't do it again.

With some more practice to get used to the changes he had me make, I can definitely see my game improving greatly.

Oh yeah, after the instruction we played several racks of 9-ball and 14.1. Needless to say, he slaughtered me. I think I won a pity rack or two, though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again, Scott!!!

Barbara
06-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Damn.

After reading all the responses I'm gonna have to get me a lesson from Scott.

Good luck, Kato!

Barbara~~~believes in getting something done every couple years...

Wally_in_Cincy
06-27-2003, 03:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Damn.

After reading all the responses I'm gonna have to get me a lesson from Scott.

Good luck, Kato!

Barbara~~~believes in getting something done every couple years... <hr /></blockquote>

Ummm...Barbara, remember, you have to practice the things which you are shown /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally~~cruisin' for bruisin'

Barbara
06-27-2003, 03:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> practice
Wally~~cruisin' for bruisin' <hr /></blockquote>

Doh!!!

Hey, I actually won a match last weekend!

And don't worry, I won't give you a bruisin'. I'll just scratch your eyes out with my nails! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barbara

griffith_d
06-27-2003, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> I had 11 hours with Scott on Monday. It was exhausting but wonderful. He liked my stance and break (surprisingly), and the fact that my swing was solid, so he didn't change anything there. But he did notice how I have a short swing path which was causing my follow through to be way too short and causing me to shoot way too hard to get cueball action, so we worked most of the day on fixing that. I can't pot balls worth a lick now because the change is so awkward that my accuracy is affected, but my speed and cueball control are much improved because of the better follow through. He also helped me with jumping, which was something I've been having trouble doing lately -- I jumped pretty well years ago, but since I started playing again after a long hiatus I just couldn't do it again.

With some more practice to get used to the changes he had me make, I can definitely see my game improving greatly.

Oh yeah, after the instruction we played several racks of 9-ball and 14.1. Needless to say, he slaughtered me. I think I won a pity rack or two, though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again, Scott!!! <hr /></blockquote>

I know about the, "feeling sorry for me" wins. Scott can shoot.

Griff

griffith_d
06-27-2003, 03:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I'm expecting nothing less than a miracle /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif and to get to meet another CCB'er. If Scott can pound 1 simple thing into my brick-like skull then I'll consider the lesson a complete success. If he can teach me never to miss.................well, then he's a genius.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

In case you did not know, Scott will bet you $1000 at the drop of hat. So go ahead and bet him,.....he always pays off. He lost one bet to me.

Griff

Chris Cass
06-27-2003, 04:02 PM
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA,

C.C.~~LMAO

Tom_In_Cincy
06-27-2003, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And don't worry, I won't give you a bruisin'. I'll just scratch your eyes out with my nails!
<hr /></blockquote>

OUCH!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Barbara is the nutz.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
06-27-2003, 04:06 PM
Hi Kato,

Your going to be very happy with Scott. He's good, real good. Don't forget to video. You'll never retain all the info he puts out.

Regards,

C.C.~~good deal, (Mental Note)less spot for Kato. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cycopath
06-27-2003, 04:11 PM
Scott Lee is an excellent instructor and an all around great guy. Very knowledgable and personable. Everyone here could do with a lesson or two from the man.

Tom_In_Cincy
Please tell Scott HI for me and especially HI from Jackie, I'm sure he'll remember Jackie.

Kato, you're in for a treat, Scott is a POOL Icon... singularly the best Pool Ambassador by far.

bluewolf
Kato,

You will love your lesson. Just talked to him on the phone and he said he is driving all night long, tonight or tomorrow, I forgot which,talk about dedication. Dont know where he gets that energy.

Had one two hour session and one full day one with scott. He is coming back on july 3. Everytime, he does wonders. My stroke got so much better between the two sessions. There are a couple of other fine tuning things I am getting this time and hoping to get that stroke a bit better also.

We were watching the apa players last night all the way up to the 7s. Stuff they do like popping up, not following through etc,that ww and I were thinking how lucky we are that we had scott and I in addition went to pool school. There were just little things that scott will ingrain in a person. For instance, I cannot drop my elbow or lift my head because of that instruction. It is just so ingrained.

Someone was actually after scott trying to teach me a power shot and I could not drop my elbow. It was like it was glued or something.

I just think that it gives scotts and randy too students an edge, in the short term for you good pool players and in the long term for people like me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Rod
06-27-2003, 04:59 PM
You'll do fine Kato. Just keep those ears and mind open. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ralph S.
06-27-2003, 05:28 PM
Trust me Kato, you will learn alot. He is very good at drilling you until you get things right too. Thats why I call him the CCB's Yoda LOL. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Candyman
06-27-2003, 05:31 PM
I spent a day with Scott yesterday. My wife gave me the lesson for my 60th birthday. What a gift. Not only did I get expert instruction from Scott, I met a really neat friend. This has been the best birthday gift in my life.
Good luck Kato.

Lock

Barbara
06-27-2003, 05:40 PM
Pssst!! Kato!!! Scott's got a "Kryptonite spot"

If you really want to weaken his knees, just say....

Okay I gotto pm you on this one /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara

rackmup
06-27-2003, 05:54 PM
Pay attention.

Take notes.

<font color="red">Practice.</font color>

Get Scott's cell number in case of an emergency.

That emergency is coming.

<font color="orange">He leaves DFW at 11:30AM on July 15th</font color> and will remain in Pompano Beach, whooping your Floridian butt, until the wee hours of the 19th. Then he boards a plane and your healing process can begin.

Ask him if he has any spare pain medications.

<font color="green">You're going to need them.</font color>

Your friend,

The Pain. (oh yeah...it's on!)

Barbara
06-27-2003, 06:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> Pay attention.

Take notes.

<font color="red">Practice.</font color>

Get Scott's cell number in case of an emergency.

That emergency is coming.

<font color="orange">He leaves DFW at 11:30AM on July 15th</font color> and will remain in Pompano Beach, whooping your Floridian butt, until the wee hours of the 19th. Then he boards a plane and your healing process can begin.

Ask him if he has any spare pain medications.

<font color="green">You're going to need them.</font color>

Your friend,

The Pain. (oh yeah...it's on!) <hr /></blockquote>

Okay, so my money's on, ugh, oh, I think I'm having a..... OUCH!!!!! ugh....

GreenLion
06-27-2003, 10:33 PM
GoodLuck Kato!Im recieving my lesson on July 5.I cant wait till its gets here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bolo
06-28-2003, 02:06 PM
Details and pictures please.

Kato
06-29-2003, 02:24 AM
Me to, stroke and follow through way too short. Scott spent about 4 1/2 hours with me today. I just got home and I'm completely fried. Currently I screwed, in 1 month I hope to be only partially screwed, in 2 months I intend on being somewhat compitent, in one year I should be pretty good at what he taught me. Then I can learn how to play pool.

Kato~~~fried but hopeful.

dmgwalsh
06-29-2003, 05:25 AM
My stroke still feels awkward 3 weeks after my lesson. But heck, I was using that other stroke for years and it's gonna take a little time to get it out of my system. I think I'm already making most of my shots better with this new stroke, but maybe my cue ball action is not as predictable, so far.

pooldaddy9
06-29-2003, 07:56 AM
Looking forward to my lesson Tues. Gonna be tough to learn how to play pool all over again after playing my way for so long.

Kato
06-29-2003, 10:53 AM
I figure that's gonna be the hard part. I've got 10 years of really bad habits to break.

Kato

bolo
06-29-2003, 11:06 AM
Are you really sure you want to be changing all around? After 10 years of play, I would think you have a style you play. If a teacher saw Efrin he may not like what he sees but I would not tell him to change. A beginner, yes, get him off on the right foot, but messing with a player of 10 years, may cause more trouble then it fixes. I have seen it too many times.

bluewolf
06-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Do you have anything positive to say, Mr Paper Tiger????

Do you see Effin booking scott. NO
Do you see Kato booking scott. YES

If Kato did not have something he wanted to improve, would he be booking scott? NO

Get a grip. If you are such a guru, come out in the open, chicken, where we can benefit from your awesome knowlege, your majesty /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
06-29-2003, 11:59 AM
If Kato was playing better than average for the last 10 years, I would agree, "don't fix what isn't broken"

Open minds are a lot more apt to accept change for the better. "Even old dogs can be taught new tricks if the reward is worth the effort".

I still find ways to improve my game after 37 years of playing. This is, IMO, why I keep playing pool after all these years. There is always something new to learn. And the challenge to improve is always there.

rackmup
06-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Whoa there BW!

It is correct to say that new tricks can be learned. No one implied that Efrin is looking for Scott's teachings. If in fact Efrin were looking to Scott for advice, Scott would be a very "In-Demand" instructor.

When one has been playing for an extended period of time, a good instructor will never attempt to change a person's entire game. While altering one's fundamentals might help, ultimately without going into hibernation and practicing 100% of what was taught, attempting to change habit's mid-stream will result in more frustration than success the majority of the time.

You are a beginner at pool. Accept that on its face and you will be a lot easier to read and get along with.

I have been playing since I was six. I am now 44. While Scott could certainly teach me a few things, it would take "brainwashing" to get me to "fix" the other things about my game that make other players critical of me:

<ul type="square">
My Keith McCready-like side-stroke.
My seeming need to actually smash the rack and damage the balls on the break.
The belief that offense is the best defense against any loss.
A safety is just another reason for me to pull out my jump cue.
Yes...as impossible as that shot may appear to be to you, and going against better judgement, I'm still going to fire at it anyway.
Name Calling e.g., "Paper Tiger", will get you no where. Oh wait...you said that, not me. [/list]

While you might be able to share advice with others of your s/l 3 peer grouping, you really should refrain from firing bitter-laced salvos at more experienced players.

Regards,

Ken (with my playing style, I win a few and lose a few but I'm okay with that)

eg8r
06-29-2003, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tom is correct in that new tricks can be learned. Tom in no way implied that Efrin is looking for Scott's teachings. <hr /></blockquote> Ken, I think she was referring to Bolo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

rackmup
06-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Post edited and corrected.

But my error in posting doesn't take away from the fact that while she may have felt the presense of the "Holy Grail" in Scott's teachings (and she should as a beginner) not everyone will need "everything" about their game changed.

Look at me...I'm the most fundamentally-unsound player you will ever meet and I beat you like a dirty rug. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Scott has seen me play. Don't you think there is a reason he doesn't push me for lessons from him? It's because he recognizes my hard-head and close-mindedness. I would make his teeth hurt as a student.

Kato on the other hand is an impressionable young lad whose vision is obscured by thong-clad women on a daily basis, Barbara's nuts and 9-ball girls magical spell over him. Not to mention the fact that his brain is muddled with newly acquired mortage responsibilities.

I'm not so easily tantalized.

Regards,

Ken (just funnin')

eg8r
06-29-2003, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But my error in posting doesn't take away from the fact that while she may have felt the presense of the "Holy Grail" in Scott's teachings (and she should as a beginner) not everyone will need "everything" about their game changed.

Look at me...I'm the most fundamentally-unsound player you will ever meet and I beat you like a dirty rug. <font color="blue"> I might have to look next time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

eg8r

rackmup
06-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Ed,

Have you given any thought to how much you are going to miss me when you move back to Florida? BTW...what's up with that deal?

Regards,

Ken (Ed's side-embedded thorn)

Chris Cass
06-29-2003, 02:11 PM
Hi Tom,

You are what many pool players need to be, "Teachable". Too many players don't have an open mind. We are all students of the game, even Efrin. I hope to see others willing to take lessons from many instructors because you can always improve and it all depends on you. JMHO

Not saying change your style of play but incorporate what you learn into your game.

Regards,

C.C.~~like Tom, I'm teachable..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
06-29-2003, 02:15 PM
I've been dying to scrap my game for the last year or so. I just did. As of yesterday I've never played 1 rack of pool. I am not a pool player I am a beginner now, just like a person that just walked into the pool room. Only difference is that I own a custom cue.

At 32 years of age I fully expect to play pool for 60 more years. Am I going to keep plodding away the way that I'm doing things now? The video won't lie. I don't have a trustable, repeatable stroke therefore my fundamentals are bad. To fix my stroke I have to fix the fundamentals. I'm not Efren and I'm not nearly as good as lots of average players.

I took a lesson from Scott. He made sense to me. He showed me my mistakes, I know it won't be easy scrapping 10 years worth of awful habits but lets face it, a 1 inch follow through and a back swing as fast as Tiger Woods forward swing just ain't gonna get it done.

Those that met me at the Open last year will be able to tell the difference this year I promise.

Kato

Barbara
06-29-2003, 02:29 PM
Good for you Kato!!

I firmly believe that every two years I should have my mechanics re-evaluated. I've been to Dawn Hopkins who really corrected the original side stroke I had, Joe Tucker who gave me great drills to work on, and RandyG's Pool School that really opened my eyes to a lot of things. After Pool School, I stayed out of the pool hall and practiced what I learned in my basement room for almost three months. I think it was best that way in order to burn in my newly learned ideas.

I realize that you don't have the luxury of your own table, but if you can avoid getting into games with others for a while and concentrate on Scott's teachings, you'll have a better chance of making them part of your regular routine faster.

Barbara~~~happy for Kato /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
06-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Kato,
I know a fellow that had similar problems. Well actually I know a bunch so don't feel like your alone. I went over this with him about 2 months ago and had not seen him since. Most of his strokes were cut off. He just could not get through the c/b, especially on difficult shots. I just run into him last week and what an improvement! He looks like Mr smooth now with a nice follow through. Granted he still gets a little quick at times and makes one of his old strokes but it's like night and day. He is a good player and has played many years. You can change, when you start hitting those balls crisp you'll work at it even more. Great feeling when done correctly, not to mention the ease of moving the c/b around. Good luck

Rod

Rod
06-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Thought I'd add, a fair part of his problems started with a heavy hold on the handle.

Rod

rackmup
06-29-2003, 03:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>...but if you can avoid getting into games with others for a while... <hr /></blockquote>

Great.

Just great.

The "Florida VS. The Country of Texas" match looms on the horizon and now he's supposed to avoid me?

Great.

Just great.

Okay...if I take a lesson from Scott and promise to scrap my past 38 years of playing can the match still be on?

Regards,

Ken (now dazed and confused)

bluewolf
06-29-2003, 04:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Ken, I think she was referring to Bolo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

YUP.

eg8r
06-29-2003, 05:31 PM
Well, I don't think I can miss you much more than now. I have played one night of pool with you in the past 6 months. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I am hoping to have an offer (crossing my fingers) no later than this coming Wednesday.

To all interested (come on I know of 3 of you /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I went on my interview a week and a half ago. It went great, however I was worn out. Scheduled to be 45 minutes it turned into 2.5 hours. I am happy I brought my laptop (worked in the hotel answering emails and doing some work for my job out here waiting for the interview). I was able to display some of my handywork and show them some of the things I have been doing. It appears that this position will still support the program I am currently working on, and I am quite pleased about that. If all goes well, my new group in Orlando is the lead in Quality for one of the main IPTs and I will be slated to be the QE. That means I will be able to make first flight for all 3 variants (as long as I don't get the dream job up in Denver. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Heather would kill me.)

Anyways, everything right now is more formality as the hiring manager asked me to apply for the position. I have been earmarked for the position, it is now up to the manager and his manager to coerce HR into relocating me instead of giving the position to someone already there. That is what I am waiting on now. It is funny, when I called on Wednesday to sort of check up on what is going on the recruiter seemed a bit surprised she had not heard anything from the manager. She said they clearly have chosen me for the position but they are still in the processes of finishing up interviews that HR set up for them.

I will definitely let everyone know what happens.

Oh yeah, Ken, are you on for Saturday at Petty Point Pool Hall?

eg8r

Kato
06-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Don't worry Ken, our matches are still on. I'll be functional enough to whoop your transplanted A$$ /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato

rackmup
06-29-2003, 05:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Oh yeah, Ken, are you on for Saturday at Petty Point Pool Hall?<hr /></blockquote>

While I don't understand a thing you said about what your job is and may be in the future, I can say this about the July 4th weekend...

...No, I won't be at Petty Point Poolhall. I will instead be in South Padre, basking in the sun at the expense of my employer.

Although "lead in Quality for one of the main IPTs" and to be "slated to be the QE" means little to me and "first flight for all 3 variants" sounds like a early boarding pass perk on some airline, I do know how to SELL and my company is rewarding me for that talent with a weekend off in Padre.

Ahhh...I can taste the Coronas now and feel the burn of the sun on my face...

You all have fun though and a "thanks Susan" for the invite.

Regards,

South Padre Ken

rackmup
06-29-2003, 05:52 PM
Hey,

I may do some woofin' here but I do remember playing against you for several hours and you were NO slouch.

Now quit snivelin' 'bout them lessons and start workin' on your excuses...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote (Kato in a few weeks):</font><hr>"Um...Ken...I think I have something in my eye."

"Darn cheap tips. I knew I shoulda' stuck with my regular guy..."

"Umm...I am on emergency standby to serve as the midwife during the birth of my second cousins third child and I just can't seem to focus on pool..."

"Wow! Did you hear about that SARS virus spreading to pool halls in South Florida. I think we should go buy some of them masks, don't you?"<hr /></blockquote>

Regards,

Ken

Irish
06-29-2003, 06:00 PM
Interesting chat going on. Kato obviously felt that something was seriously amiss in his game and needed to relearn how to shoot pool. Even after 10 years if you started off with super poor fundamentals you will still shoot like crap. Taking a lesson and having someone with great knowledge about the game likely will help him out huge since he is willing to take what he learned and start over.

I took a lesson one time from Gerry Breisath (sp?). Worst bloody thing I ever did for my game. At the time I took the lesson I was a pretty decent player already (not sure on that whole SL thing since I am in Canada but I ran about 1/5 8-ball racks off the break and had a high run of 7 racks in a row of 9-ball at the time. I went from playing pretty good pool and went into a major slump due to all the crap Gerry put into my head about stroking the ball in a very specific way. Truth is nobody strokes the ball quite the same as the next guy, this is one thing I found totally messed up about the Breisath teaching method, he goes for an exact stroke on every student.

The day I started improving again is the day I decided to ignore what other people said and worked on my game in my own way. I video tape myself once every year or so playing a match or two and try to pick up on things that are kind of amiss. I tweak certain things like height over the cueball on various shots and work with different slight stance modifications and see how they feel. These days trusting in my own methods and playing with my natural stroke I have been able to get my game to quite a high level of play. I can now run 3 and 4 packs of 9-ball quite often and can place quite high in the local tournaments of my city where there are usually 10 or more pro/master level players.

The one main thing I have found out about improving once you have the basic fundamentals is just shooting pool. Anyone I ever knew that took huge leaps in skill on the table was putting 4+ hours a day on the table and playing in all the tournaments they could find. Pot 500+ balls a day and you will improve greatly over a 2 or 3 month time, that is the best thing you can do to improve your game. Even with crappy fundamentals this is true, you can overcome any major stroke flaws and make that terrible stroke work for you if you just play night and day. There are many pros out there with what could only be called "bad" strokes, McCready is one of those people, Tommy Kennedy on a Accustat video I have has an erractic stroke as he beats a smooth stroking Archer. Pictures of Willie Hoppe stroking the ball always amaze me as he has a nearly horizontal stroking arm (due to starting pool very young and short) yet he is a legend of the game. With practice a person can make their natural stroke work and reach the top of the game as long as it is in their natural being that they have that capacity, the natural skill and the eye for the game.

Kato
06-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Kenny, Kenny, Kenny. This is no longer the past but I can tell you all about your future. You'll go to South Padre and drink a couple of Corona's and burn your face, maybe even meet a nice lady to spend quite evenings of friendship with. But then you'll come to me. Oh Ken, you'll come right into my web of destruction.

Kato~~~starts stroke and drill work tomorrow.

bluewolf
06-29-2003, 07:05 PM
This is a very interesting post. I think that there are those who deviated from the norm and went off on a rythm of their own. If they become a nobody in that sport, we say they have bad fundamentals. If they become a champion in whatever sport it is, many want to copy them. This is unfortunate. Just because it worked for them does not mean it will work for someone else. My time in pool is not very long, but I have seen this in many other sports.

I think that most people are better with accepted good fundamentals. If they become very good in that sport, they may well go off on that individual rythm. Most do benefit from an instruction like scotts, though, imo.Of course there are exceptions such as you cite.

Scotts stroke has helped me a lot.I cannot say enough praise for what he teaches and for his dedication.I did wonder, though, why not dropping the elbow seemed so right to me and was grasped fairly quickly considering my time in the sport.

I had a bit of an epiphany a few days ago. When looking at the finish position of the stroke that he teaches and is what randy g calls home, I realized that the position is almost identical to the punch retract position in the style of martial arts I studied for 15 years. So for me, this type of stroke is natural and it is also why, at least in part, it is very difficult for me to drop that elbow.

Laura

Kato
06-29-2003, 07:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Irish:</font><hr> Interesting chat going on. Kato obviously felt that something was seriously amiss in his game and needed to relearn how to shoot pool. Even after 10 years if you started off with super poor fundamentals you will still shoot like crap. Taking a lesson and having someone with great knowledge about the game likely will help him out huge since he is willing to take what he learned and start over.

The one main thing I have found out about improving once you have the basic fundamentals is just shooting pool. Anyone I ever knew that took huge leaps in skill on the table was putting 4+ hours a day on the table and playing in all the tournaments they could find. Pot 500+ balls a day and you will improve greatly over a 2 or 3 month time, that is the best thing you can do to improve your game. Even with crappy fundamentals this is true, you can overcome any major stroke flaws and make that terrible stroke work for you if you just play night and day. There are many pros out there with what could only be called "bad" strokes, McCready is one of those people, Tommy Kennedy on a Accustat video I have has an erractic stroke as he beats a smooth stroking Archer. Pictures of Willie Hoppe stroking the ball always amaze me as he has a nearly horizontal stroking arm (due to starting pool very young and short) yet he is a legend of the game. With practice a person can make their natural stroke work and reach the top of the game as long as it is in their natural being that they have that capacity, the natural skill and the eye for the game. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> </font color>
1) My stroke was broken down and explained to me. I now know how to fix it.

2) I'll see myself on video and work off of that to get smooth.

I don't have that kind of time nor the desire to play and pocket that many balls. I'm simply a league player and sometime tournament guy. I do however enjoy pocketing balls and since most of my friends play above me I'd like to be able to compete with them. The only way that's possible in my opinion is this way.

Kato

eg8r
06-29-2003, 07:27 PM
This is the best woofing I have seen on the board. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I cannot wait for the matchup.

eg8r &lt;~~Might have to drive down to be a witness /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
06-29-2003, 07:28 PM
Pretty crappy if you ask me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r

SPetty
06-29-2003, 07:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> ...and start workin' on your excuses...<hr /></blockquote>yeah, you're doing pretty good with the excuses yourself...

blah blah South Padre blah blah Corona...

I think you're just skeered to play me in front of witnesses because I'll embarass you...

woof woof

SPetty~~~ not very good at this woof woof thing... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rackmup
06-29-2003, 08:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato (in his dilusional state):</font><hr> ...But then you'll come to me. Oh Ken, you'll come right into my web of destruction. <hr /></blockquote>

Let me break this down for ya' boy:

I haven't played nineball in months. I haven't chalked a cue over a 9 footer in just as long. Now, while this might make me look like "easy pickens", I do plan on jumping on that Diamond 9'er at Billy Wier's with Ed as my tutor in a few days and getting my game back to a level that will not only beat you but to a level that will leave you stunned and in utter amazement.

When I'm finished and on the plane heading home from Florida, you should be on your second round of Prozac and deep into Dr. Phil self-help videos.

When I return for round two in August, you'll have such a greater appreciation for me that you'll be wearing a "I played pool with Ken and all I got was humiliated" t-shirt, erecting a shrine to me at your new condo and wondering if you can treat me to beer and chicken wings each night I'm in your town.

If you choose to call this state of denial you are in a "tangled web of destruction", you go right ahead.

But if it were me, I'd rename it "GRIM REALITY".

Regards,

Woofin' Ken /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rackmup
06-29-2003, 08:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I think you're just skeered to play me in front of witnesses <hr /></blockquote>

That my dear friend is soooo true. You pounded me at Click's on Skilman and I'll not put myself into that position again!

Regards,

Ken (Susan's victim only once and never again!)

Voodoo Daddy
06-30-2003, 04:14 AM
If Ken beats KATO...will I get to chance to redeem Florida's respect?

eg8r
06-30-2003, 04:55 AM
Oh, I think it would only be prudent. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

C'mon Ken, I have not been to Billy's in awhile.

eg8r

pooltchr
06-30-2003, 06:38 AM
What a great birthday present! I had the chance to meet Scott Friday night. His arrival at my shop just as a lightning bolt set fire to a power transformer and put the pool room in the dark gave us some time to just sit and talk. He is very sharp, knows his stuff, and I am looking forward to getting together with him and other instructors for an instructors retreat next year. Oh yeah, the power did finally come back on, and we got to shoot a few games with a couple of the regulars at our room (Note to Scott...near as I can figure, Clyde is 84! AMAZING!!!) before he had to take off to drive all night to Florida. Anyway, I would recommend anyone that gets the chance to work with him, jump on it.
Steve

Kato
06-30-2003, 07:02 AM
I'm sorry, what did you say?

Kato

Sid_Vicious
06-30-2003, 08:58 AM
"His arrival at my shop just as a lightning bolt set fire to a power transformer and put the pool room in the dark"

Gotta admit, Scott makes a dandy spectacular entry ;-) sid

Scott Lee
06-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Barbara...

Hmmmmm...inquiring minds want to know????? LOL

Scott

Barbara
06-30-2003, 01:04 PM
Scott Lee got beat by a gi-irl!!

Scott Lee got beat by a gi-irl!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

Scott Lee
06-30-2003, 01:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr>

Look at me...I'm the most fundamentally-unsound player you will ever meet and I beat you like a dirty rug. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Scott has seen me play. Don't you think there is a reason he doesn't push me for lessons from him? It's because he recognizes my hard-head and close-mindedness. I would make his teeth hurt as a student.

Ken (just funnin')

[/quote

Ken...LOL! I haven't "pushed" you for lessons, because I DON'T "push" ANYONE for lessons... People seek me out for instruction...I don't fish for them! LOL I know you are just kidding, but I want to let people know. I am always approachable to anyone, either on the computer or the phone.

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
06-30-2003, 02:53 PM
Barbara...LOLOL You just wait until NEXT time! NO MERCY!
...afterall, now my "masculinity" is at stake! ROFLMAO...jk!

Scott

rackmup
06-30-2003, 03:12 PM
Sure...but with an appropriate spot.

You have to remember...we haved played each other and you are just a step or two above my speed.

Regards,

Ken (always up for a whoopin')

rackmup
06-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Scott,

Let me remind you of our first meeting and how I read "between the lines" as we spent an evening playing, chatting, and tipping a few:

Ken: "Scott, I tend to want to go after every shot, even if it's a difficult, low-percentage one. Is that a mistake?"

Scott: "There is nothing wrong with playing from an offensive standpoint but you must know when to use defense to your advantage."

Interpretation: Proceed with shooting at everything on the table. Recognize however, after drilling several of these 'near-impossible' shots, you might upset your opponent and that could lead to physical altercations. Be ready to defend yourself.

Ken: "Scott, I love getting hooked by my opponent. It gives me the opportunity to use my jump cue. Do you feel my shot making percentages would increase if I worked harder on my jump shots or perfected my kicking abilities, which I am currently very poor at?"

Scott: "While jump shots are great to watch, and even better when you pocket the object ball, kicking is a necessary skill for many players."

Translation: Your jump shots are a joy to witness and I am further impressed by your shot making abilities when executing said shot. However, other players of lesser ability would need to work on their kicking skills."

Ken: "Scott...do you think you could help me with lessons?"

Scott: "No. Not at all. I don't think all of the lessons in the world would help your game."

Interpretation: My game is at it's peak. There is no possible way, in Scott's professional estimation, that there is any room for improvement. To be honest...I didn't really think or know I was that good. I guess it's because I am so humble in just about everything I do.

Ken: "Scott...I've gambled before when I knew better but my decision was clouded by an over-indulgence of alcohol. Take now for instance...I can hardly focus yet I feel compelled to find some fish and play for fifty a set. Is that foolish?"

Scott: "No Ken...not at all. I have an extra fifty so I might as well lose it to you. Tell you what; I'll rack, spot you one on the wire in a race to three and give you the 8. Deal?"

Interpretation: Scott is a true friend in his volunteering to induldge my silly quirks. Why play with a stranger (who might take advantage of you) when you can play with a trustworthy friend? Scott won three to one and went to the bar to break my hundred. On the way back with my change, he bought appetizers for all of us. Pitchers of beer too! That Scott! What a guy! He even said the pointers he gave me were "On the house." Did I ever get my change??? Oh well...it doesn't matter.

Regards,

Ken (thinks Scott is the real dizzle for schizzle)

Scott Lee
06-30-2003, 04:10 PM
Ken...ROFLMAO! I don't know WHAT exactly you're smokin'...but I gotta git me some! LOLOL Somehow, my recollection (albeit, a little tequila-hazed) seems to be SO much different! No matter what...it was a fun time, and I can't wait to do it again!

Scott

Rod
06-30-2003, 04:40 PM
Kato,
I meant to ask, what is a big Scott Lee lesson? I mean is it bigger than the usual lesson? On a 12 footer instead of a 9 footer? Is a small Scott Lee lesson on a bar table? Curious minds want to know. LOL I'd ask Scott but it's your post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r
06-30-2003, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to remember...we haved played each other and you are just a step or two above my speed. <hr /></blockquote> Now that is funny stuff. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif A step or two huh?

eg8r &lt;~~~joking

eg8r
06-30-2003, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ken: "Scott...do you think you could help me with lessons?"

Scott: "No. Not at all. I don't think all of the lessons in the world would help your game."

Interpretation: My game is at it's peak. <hr /></blockquote>

I love it Ken. That is the only possible interpretation. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r

cycopath
06-30-2003, 06:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>Is a small Scott Lee lesson on a bar table? Curious minds want to know.<hr /></blockquote>If that's the case, that's what I had, a small lesson. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bluewolf
07-01-2003, 05:52 AM
I get scott for two hours on thursday. Cant wait!!!! This will be my third one and I always learn more each time.

Great instructor,and he is so much fun too!!!

Laura

Kato
07-01-2003, 07:49 AM
I had scheduled a 2 hour Scott Lee Lesson. Scott however doesn't seem to be able to:

1) Tell time
2) Shut up

So my lesson was 4 1/2 hours instead. That is the big lesson thingy.

I'm pretty sure Scott is wired different than the average hombre. He just doesn't get tired, it's ridiculous. I'm still a walking zombie.

We'll do it again someday. I was awfully impressed with him as a teacher. Obviously his enthusiasm is second to none. Maybe next time we'll play a couple of games.

Kato

pooldaddy9
07-01-2003, 08:20 PM
Couldn't agree with you more. Scott just left here and I can't begin to descibe how awsome my lesson was, specially since I've been playing for for so long.I thought I knew a lot but now I'm starting over the right way.Thanks Scott for your patience with me.

rackmup
07-02-2003, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Scott for your patients with me <hr /></blockquote>

First he had "students", now he has "patients."

Scott Lee:

Traveling Pool Instructor.
Ambassador of Good Will among CCB'ers.
Tequila Shot Consumer Extraordinaire.
Master of 17-Rail Kick Shots.
...and now...apparently a Physician.

Regards,

Ken (umm...Scott...when I am with OPC playing pool, he always seems to develop a pain in his backside. Do you think it's a lower lumbar strain or is it just his association with me?)

Cueless Joey
07-02-2003, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Thanks Scott for your patients with me <hr /></blockquote>

First he had "students", now he has "patients."

Scott Lee:

Traveling Pool Instructor.
Ambassador of Good Will among CCB'ers.
Tequila Shot Consumer Extraordinaire.
Master of 17-Rail Kick Shots.

Regards,

Ken (umm...Scott...when I am with OPC playing pool, he always seems to develop a pain in his backside. Do you think it's a lower lumbar strain or is it just his association with me?) <hr /></blockquote>
Ahahahaha!!!
Scott is also an Asian Food Pro Consumer.
If Scott did not have good patience, he'd be bald after my session.

Scott Lee
07-03-2003, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> First he had "students", now he has "patients."

Scott Lee:

Regards,

Ken (umm...Scott...when I am with OPC playing pool, he always seems to develop a pain in his backside. Do you think it's a lower lumbar strain or is it just his association with me?) <hr /></blockquote>

Actually Ken...I am a SURGEON! LOL I operate on people's strokes, and straighten them out! Usually I don't even have to stretch them on a "rack"! LMAO As for the the latter question...I defer to the former! LOL

Scott