PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Advice

tateuts
06-27-2003, 10:50 PM
If I had to give one piece of advice to intermediate and up players trying to reach the next level it would be this:

Be as deliberate as possible.

1) It starts with cue ball control.

What I mean is trying to visualize the cue ball going on a very specific path at a specific speed and making it stop along an exact line or at a specific spot.

I believe that the effort to be deliberate is extremely important in truly learning how to control the cue ball and understanding where it's going and why. The attempt to make the shot happen is active participation, a hands on learning experience with immediate feedback which your mind and muscle memory will readily absorb. Playing sloppy position is merely observing a cause and effect with little feedback.

2) In the big picture, "being deliberate" is how you are going to approach a table, eliminating or minimizing random shots. Being very precise in your mind as to what you are going to do. This will help you generate the enormous amount of concentration necessary to play excellent pool.

But part 2 is not possible until you can control the cue ball.

Chris

Hopster
06-27-2003, 11:49 PM
Hey Chris, youre definetly on the money about the tremendous amount of concentration it takes to play. I never realized how much till just lately. I been working on my stroke and stroke speed. < All the same i guess>
Anyway, ive been finding the softer i grip the cue and not place any additional pressure on the grip as i found myself doing during a difficult shot, im making more and more tough shots. I have toned my speed way down and that has helped.
For me myself, the toughest thing is keeping my eye zeroed in on the exact contact point of the Ob all the way through. It takes quite a bit to keep my eye on the precise spot and not flinch it away, most of my misses come from taking my eye off for just the tiniest fraction of a second. Concentration is what has been keeping it there.
Tonight i was playing with my wife who loves to play and we played for over 6 hours and i didnt want to leave cause she was playing so well and so was i. We were playi8ng straights and the highest i ran was a 12, but i must have run about a dozen 12,s and a ton of 10,s also. Just totally in stroke and i feel that it was my new determination to these new things that i have been trying out.
Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth.

tateuts
06-28-2003, 12:26 AM
Hi there Hopster,

When I'm playing my best competitive pool, I feel like I am in a trance like state focusing on what I'm doing on the table. I'm more alert than usual, very focused, see the shots better, and am almost free of distracting thoughts. In fact, almost all I can think about is the table before me and all I "hear" are my own thoughts. It takes no effort on my part to focus like this. It's actually, I believe, a state of mind which requires a certain degree of relaxation. Afterward, I feel kind of strange for awhile - like I'm in a trance.

Until I am in this state, I make a lot more mistakes. It takes time to get there, and I'm usually there after 30 minutes to an hour of competitive play.

Chris

Keith Talent
06-28-2003, 01:15 AM
Hopster,

You've got a spouse who'll shoot 6 hours' worth? Wow ... mine lasts about 30 mins. But never would have gotten hitched if she hadn't been willing to go on a 3-day backpack, at least. Take what you can get, I guess.

Sounds like you had a good night ... would've been OK for me, too. Last time I was approached to play 14.1 was last week. After a sloppy first rack, I managed to run a fairly tough rack, for me, and maybe got a couple more after the break ... but then the other guy woke up, got one himself, left me tough, got another ... I missed a tough one ... then I'm thinking, enough already, been sitting way too long, let's get rid of all those striped balls but one. But my rhythm was pretty well shot by then, couldn't win in 9 ball, either.

That's amazing concentration, being able to hang in there for 6 hours of 14.1.

Yep, as Chris was saying, get in that trance and stay there. Can't seem to do it in 14.1 ... but otherwise have begun to have more success lately in being more exacting with cueing, adding maybe just a trace of left or right to break up a specific side of a cluster, or avoid the side pocket, and getting the right speed to be in the clear. Progress, anyway. Table's getting smaller, it seems.

bluewolf
06-28-2003, 06:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Hopster,

You've got a spouse who'll shoot 6 hours' worth? Wow ... mine lasts about 30 mins. But never would have gotten hitched if she hadn't been willing to go on a 3-day backpack, at least. Take what you can get, I guess.

<hr /></blockquote>

When I was in karate, went for 6 hrs no sweat because I was addicted big time. Pool is the same. When I started, 1 hour max and I was exhausted.Two things:

1)The more you fall in love with those balls the longer you go. Time ceases to exist
2)The better I get and the more balls go down, the more I fall in love and the longer I can go.

It just is not as much fun when nothing is going down WW can easily go for hours for obvious reasons. I can go for two for obvious reasons. But heh, that means more balls are going down down.

bw

Hopster
06-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Until I am in this state, I make a lot more mistakes. It takes time to get there, and I'm usually there after 30 minutes to an hour of competitive play. &lt;--Chris

Yeah i hear you. It took about 2 hours but then i felt like i could do no wrong. Now if i can remember how i got there again i will be all right. lol

Hopster
06-28-2003, 11:25 AM
You've got a spouse who'll shoot 6 hours' worth? Wow &lt;--Keith

She loves straights, eight ball and will play one pocket but cant stand nine ball.
Wont go with me to the pistol range though which is good for me as i need a little peace and quiet now and again. lol

bolo
06-29-2003, 12:23 AM
Read this and pretend you don't know she is talking about pool.