PDA

View Full Version : Oh That Green Felt

9 Ball Girl
06-30-2003, 09:36 AM
There's something about that green felt that just does it for me. This weekend I went to the Big "A" Fair at the Aqueduct Racetrack in Queens. My boyfriend and I were walking around, checking to see what rides we were going to get on when he smiled and told me to look to the left. I turned and saw the 3 $hittiest looking 8 footers I've ever seen. But you know what, they were pooltables and my heart started racing. Almost like when you see that guy/gal you have a crush on. I walked over to the tables and ran my hand over the felt as I always do when I see a table I'd never played on. The balls were extremely dirty, the lighting was poor, the cues were more crooked than a politician, and the rack of 4 balls was looser than Madonna in her "Like a Virgin" video. But my heart continued to race and I found myself taking deep breaths.

The carney comes over and asked my boyfriend if he'd like to try to win something for me and he said, "No, she'll do it". The carney turns to me and says and I quote, "Ok Lil Lady, what'll it be? $2 for 1 try or $5 for 3 tries?" I told the carney that I'd do the $5 but that I'd like to do 1 game on each table. Then I asked him, "If I do it in all 3 tries, do I get a prize for all 3 tries?" He said Yeah. Ok. Well, I ran the 1st table and picked a Scooby Doo doll. Then I ran the 2nd table and picked a Winnie the Pooh doll. Well, I've got my neice and nephew covered! Then I had to wait for the 3rd table and ran that one when I got on it. I picked another Winnie doll for my BF's daughter. Teehee.

Ok so now we go on the Ferris Wheel. As we're up on top, I happen to notice another 3 pooltables. Again the whole breathing thing happens and I told my BF, "I've gotta try it on those too". So we get off the Ferris Wheel and walk over to these 3 tables. They were more crowded than the first tables that we tried. I didn't even wait for the carney this time, I walked up to him and asked him how much. He said "$2 for a small toy or $5 for a big toy". I gave him $5 and told him I want the big one. To that, I winked at my BF. LOL These tables were a little better but the pockets were almost like Snooker pockets. Anyway, again I had to run the 4 balls, which I did /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif and wound up with this humongous Panda bear! Another girl that was watching yelled at her BF who had scratched and said, "If a girl can do it, why can't you?" Bahahahahahaha!!!!!

I think I'm going to try it again this weekend...

Wally_in_Cincy
06-30-2003, 09:51 AM
I thought the carneys had banned you and Spetty from further 4-ball competition /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

Wally~~like 9BG, will play anytime, anywhere

Kato
06-30-2003, 09:59 AM
Who do you think you are some kind of pool playin', wheelin', dealin', hustlin' types?

You should be nicer to the carny folk. Austin Powers says they smell like cabbage. Gotta be tough going through life smelling like cabbage.

Kato

Voodoo Daddy
06-30-2003, 10:27 AM
Very Cool Wendy...takin it down like a pool player should. Many moons ago I went to a fair with a g/f and another couple and the similar thing happened. I didnt hit a ball due to a cast on my hand <long GANGSTA type story> but my friend, Tom Brown <sharpshootin S.O.B. from simpler times> was the shooter. We even went as far as gaffin the carney. Tommy told the guy he would play the game with a patch over one eye <Tommy only had one eye that functioned>...When the smoke cleared it took the four of us to carry all the stuffed things to the car, BAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

tateuts
06-30-2003, 11:05 AM
At the L.A. Country Fair, my youngest daughter (who was 6 at the time) saw the pool tables and insisted we give it a try. I did it on the firt try and she picked out a stuffed animal.

As we were leaving she stopped, turned to me and gave me a big hug.

That was my single greatest moment in pool.

Chris

9 Ball Girl
06-30-2003, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I thought the carneys had banned you and Spetty from further 4-ball competition /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

Wally~~like 9BG, will play anytime, anywhere <hr /></blockquote>Yeah they did but that was at the San Genaro Feast in Little Italy. Hopefully they won't recognize me this September. Oh wait! I'll be in Virginia! Oh well... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
06-30-2003, 11:14 AM
9BG,
I love the story of winning the goods, but the first paragraph of your post was what really hit me. I am the same way. I have walked into a campground lodge in the middle of nowhere, and seen some pretty ratty looking tables. I can't control it. I have to check them out, and know before I leave, I will end up hitting a few on it. (I don't know about all the heavy breathing and heart racing...I usually reserve that for my OTHER favorite activity! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) But there is something about pool tables that is adictive! You said it well.

Qtec
06-30-2003, 11:25 AM
......lovely. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Where were you when we had the thread about 'tattooed pool players '? Eh!

Q

9 Ball Girl
06-30-2003, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Where were you when we had the thread about 'tattooed pool players '? Eh!

Q <hr /></blockquote>It's funny you should mention that. Saturday night was a nice night and I was wearing a tank top so both tattoos were showing. As I was shooting at both sets of tables, I felt that I looked like the stereotype of a poolplayer.

Speaking of which, I was watching a documentary on Pamela Anderson and her failed relationships. They'd mentioned the period of time when she started to get attracted to rock musicians and the host says, "they're the bad boys of the music industry. they like leather, they play pool,..." !!! Talk about image!

Qtec
06-30-2003, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's funny you should mention that. Saturday night was a nice night and I was wearing a tank top so both tattoos were showing. As I was shooting at both sets of tables, I felt that I looked like the stereotype of a poolplayer.
<hr /></blockquote>

I dont think so . I wish it were true , but I dont think so .
If my opponent was to say to me ,"Would you like to see my tattoo ? ", I dont think I would be pleased ! I think you can accept that the chances that they would , in any way , resemble the photo that you have posted of yourself would be slim. , to say the least. You are not telling the whole story .Lets hear it . /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Q

9 Ball Girl
06-30-2003, 12:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>I dont think so . I wish it were true , but I dont think so. If my opponent was to say to me ,"Would you like to see my tattoo ? ", I dont think I would be pleased ! I think you can accept that the chances that they would , in any way , resemble the photo that you have posted of yourself would be slim. , to say the least. You are not telling the whole story .Lets hear it . /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Q <hr /></blockquote>Ok you lost me now. Which story are we talking about? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric.
06-30-2003, 12:32 PM
Shame on you for robbing the poor guy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, I guess if he was offering, you might as well be taking.

Eric

BillPorter
06-30-2003, 05:20 PM
9BG, nice yarn! How about this table? Would you give it a go? http://www.lateralscience.co.uk/pool/equip.html

UWPoolGod
06-30-2003, 05:24 PM
OMG that's the worst thing I have seen in my life.

Todd &lt;-- almost fainted at the sight

06-30-2003, 05:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> 9BG, nice yarn! How about this table? Would you give it a go? http://www.lateralscience.co.uk/pool/equip.html <hr /></blockquote>Heh, I especially like the broomstick the guy is shooting with. Could this be an old picture of FL? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cycopath
06-30-2003, 06:12 PM
LMAO!

It can't be there's no dog with him.

WesK
06-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Too cool.

And, told so very well.

I am so proud of you...

Take care,

wes

Snyder1
06-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Great story !! I bet you made them eat a few words under their breath - thats great !!

L.S. Dennis
06-30-2003, 11:33 PM
I too liked Wendy's first paragraph. I think anybody who ever been addicted to this game has experienced that same feeling. Geoge Fels had a good colum on this addiction, I think he called it "you got it bad" or something like that.

Like Wendy I've played those 4 ball pool games at the fairs. The key is to make sure that you keep the cue ball somewhere near the middle of the table after the first shot. After that it should be routine.

9 Ball Girl
07-01-2003, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> 9BG, nice yarn! How about this table? Would you give it a go? http://www.lateralscience.co.uk/pool/equip.html <hr /></blockquote>Hell Yeah! Hey, it's only human pool nature to see what it would be like! http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/1050851815.gif