PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Pool Table Review

03-31-2002, 11:52 AM
I am looking for information about pool tables - specifically, is there a good resource (preferably online or from your wisdom) to evaluate the different pool tables available? I am looking to buy a decent pool table and can't find any independent reviews of the pros/cons of different manufacturers. If you could email loomis13@one.net, I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

Gayle in MD
03-31-2002, 11:08 PM
Hi there, you might want to go into the archives here, and at the other sights such as AZ billiards, in order to get an overview of what people say about the various tables. I just got a Diamond Pro, and I really love it. The three tables for which I have heard the best reviews, (Serious players) are the Brunswick Gold Crowns, the Diamond Pro, and the Gabriels, a table just being introduced in this country which is manufactured in Italy I think. Personally, I like to buy American made products, and I really can't imagine a table playing any better than the Diamond. You don't mention the price range you are interested in, but sometimes you can get new tables at a discount by buying them from tournaments where they are either sold off the floor, or auctioned off after the tournaments are over. My table was made for me, but did come up on a truck with some tournament tables which saved me some money. Also, it is important to get clear on what you want your table to provide for you, ie,. just a family table for fun, or serious about improving your game. Check out the archives as this subject has been covered very well on this forum, and also on other forums.
Hope this helps you, and good luck and happy shooting!
Gayle in Md.

04-05-2002, 12:27 AM
Hey if you can geta copy of this last months Billiards Digest it has a guy who just wrote 2 books about tables. One is how to build your own table and the other is about what to look for in a table. Havent seen or read them but might be decent books. Also you might try getting on to Amazon.com and look for Billiards books and see if there are any good books on selecting a table. I agree with the other poster here that if you are a serious player and you have the money a Diamond or a Brunswick Gold Crown are two of the best. These tables are both around $6000 to $7000. if you arent that serious of a player you can get a good used home table with drop pockets for under a $1000. Things to look for in a table are the thickness of the slate,whether the slate is framed or unframed, lether pockets,ball return or not, general construction of the table, solid wood rails and sides. See if the stringers that support the slate are solid wood or plywood. Also if you can see from underneath how the rails are attached, if each rail has 4 rail bolts rather than three. Also something very important is the profile of the rubber in the rails, whether they are full gum rubber and what grade of speed. Most of this you probably wont know by looking at the table, but the main thing is to make sure you are getting at least 3/4 inches of slate on your table. If you look underneath the table you should see the slate, if you dont then it is probably some sort of composit bed table with a thin layer of slate on the top. You can tell if you try and lift one end and it is really heavy, probably have trouble by yourself unless you are a big man, then you know that the table has heavy slate on it.