PDA

View Full Version : Funny Moments in Pool

MarkUrsel
07-01-2003, 09:07 AM
What's the funniest thing that's ever happened to you at the pool table?

I remember breaking on a bar box one time where I slammed the cue ball, it connected with the lead ball and took off for the hills. In a case of perfect timing, someone opened the front door and the cue ball did a "nuthin but net" one-hopper right out the front door and into the parking lot. Took me about 10 minutes to find the damn thing because the parking lot sloped away from the door, and the ball wound up about 100 yards away up against a fence.

So the game was held up because the cue ball was lost in the deep grass next to the out of bounds fence. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I got a double-bogey on that hole.

9 Ball Girl
07-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Now that's funny. Anything that's ever happened to me is not uncommon i.e. aiming real low on the CB for the perfect draw shot only to have it jump over the OB and land in the pocket, but I did witness this:

It was at the Super Tournament at the Golden Q in Queens back in December. I remember the layout of the tables but I don't remember the numbers so we'll just use Table 1 and Table 2. On Table 1, there were 2 guys playing, Ray Rahim and some other guy. On Table 2, Joey Korsiak was playing one of the old timers, Gilbert. Joey K. was giving Gilbert the 5. Back to Table 1, Ray had just racked the balls and the other guy breaks. The cueball bounced off of Table 1, lands on Table 2, hits and pockets the 9 ball just as Gilbert was getting ready to pocket his 5 ball! He was on the hill and I think they made them redo the match!

Kato
07-01-2003, 09:21 AM
I used to play 9-ball with a guy named Benny, Benny "Tiles". He was this skinny guy and he wound up like a baseball pitcher to crack the rack. Anyway, he smacked the one ball and the cue ball flew right up into the light, breaking it. We moved to the next table and while the owner was vacuuming and cleaning the first table he broke again, again the cue ball went straight to the light, breaking it. Needless to say he went to the soft break after that.

Kato

Fran Crimi
07-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Good one! Haha!

I had been practicing getting my back hand looser on my break shots and at the next WPBA tournament I broke hard (before the Sardo rack) and had gotten a little too loose in the back hand. My cue stick went flying out of my hands, soared through the air and with a big crash, landed on the next table, which luckily, was unoccupied. I was really shaken up but tried to act casual about it, so I casually walked over to the table, picked up my cue, walked back to the table as if nothing happened and proceeded to shoot. I could hear people in the stands saying things like "Holy $hit! Did you see that?"

When I got home, I went out and bought a rubber cover for the wrap. Been using it ever since.

Fran

OnePocketChamp
07-01-2003, 09:50 AM
I was playing a little money game at a local pool hall out in East Dallas back in the late 70's with about 10 side bettors bird dogging the action when I break the rack and make 8 or 9 balls in the left corner pocket. Now this really wasn't because of my power break but what actually happened was at that precise moment the old wood floor gave way underneath that table leg, the table dropped about 10 inches and all the balls rolled into that pocket including the 8 ball. Of course I immediately claimed the win but as it turned out we had to move to another table and reply the game. I WAS CHEATED!!!!!!!

The cool thing about it was the owner had a plaque made under the heading "15 on the Break".

Stan Shuffett
07-01-2003, 11:16 AM
In 1977 I decided I needed some straight pool lessons and after some inquiry set up a day of instruction with Mark Beilfuss out of Michigan. I arrived at his home on a rainy Saturday morning. I got out of my car and went to my trunk to retrieve my cue and as I lifted it out of the trunk I dropped the butt of my Zamboti cue into a puddle of water. That Irish linen really soaked up the water! I gave $80 for that cue and in the mid eighties I sold it to Ronnie Allen. He offered $130 and I wanted $140. We flipped a coin and I got $140.

One more funny episode. One day I practicing 9-ball with a friend. I got a call from an individual that had just moved to Kentucky from Kansas. He heard I could play and he wanted to watch. He came and sat quietly and observed a couple of sets. He never said a word. I was playing okay, about 80%. My basement table was playing a little tough that day. I asked the stranger if he wanted to play a set. We played and I won 7 to 4. He was quite proud of himself and proceeded to tell me that I did not play up to the level he expected me to and that when he was in stroke he would handle me quite easily. I was steaming on the inside, as I knew from what I had just witnessed, he had no chance of ever winning. I challenge him to a match the following night. We played push-out 9-ball. I won the first 29 games in a row. It never phased him. A short time later he went to Varner's place in Owensboro and told them he wanted to be world champion and purchased a table. We became friends and played many times after that.

highsea
07-01-2003, 01:18 PM
I was playing in a bar one night, and this kid cut loose and jumped the CB off the table. I was standing to one side, talking to some friends, and at the same time I reached over to my table and picked up my beer to take a drink.

I am holding the bottle by the neck, and I had it about halfway to me, when the CB arrives and takes the bottom half of the bottle clean off. The little Sh*t heel didn't even buy me a new beer!

Another story, same bar. This bar is at a Marina, and is on the second floor of the marina building. The building is built right over the water on pilings. It was summertime, and the bar had very large sliding windows that were open at the time. The pool table was situated about 12 feet from one corner of the room overlooking the water.

These two kids were playing 8ball, and one kid scratches on his 8ball shot. He drops his cue, and takes about 3 running steps to the corner and DIVES out the window! He landed safely in the water, but he was lucky the tide was in at the time. The bartender was *not* amused, and she 86'd him for his stunt.

-CM

dardusm
07-02-2003, 12:33 AM
I was a tournament director for a weekly tournament. A player comes over and says that the table is rolling off a little. So, I preceded over to the table to watch the opponent hit one shot and realized the problem immediately. The table had one of those crazy cueballs that was left accidently on it from a party earlier during the day. The funny thing is that the score was 2 to 1. They were on their 4th game before coming over and telling me about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darryl

DoomCue
07-02-2003, 06:28 AM
I was practicing with a friend of mine (his name is Jimmy) one night, when a guy in a tuxedo walks in by himself. He proceeds to rent the table next to us. Jimmy and I were surprised to see such a well-dressed guy in this particular room, as the room was a dump. Tuxedo Man clearly did not fit the usual clientele profile. Anyway, Tuxedo Man proceeds to rack a game of 8 ball and plays by himself. He wasn't particularly good, so Jimmy and I went back to practice. About half an hour later, I was sitting down while Jimmy was at the table, so I watched Tuxedo Man rack the balls and break. I hear this loud ripping sound, which I thought at first was a huge fart! Jimmy and I are looking around, trying to figure out who cut the cheese. I catch Tuxedo Man out of the corner of my eye, walking around the table. Lo and behold, his a$$ is hanging out of his pants! Apparently, when he broke, his hand somehow caught his pants pocket and ripped his pants all the way down the leg! Meanwhile, Tuxedo Man is still stalking his way around the table, finishing his game. Jimmy and I cannot stop laughing. Tuxedo Man then finishes his game, walks to the bar, asks for some scotch tape, goes to the bathroom, tapes his pants up (which looks ridiculous), and continues playing his single-man 8 ball for another hour or so. I laughed so much, I felt bad for the guy and bought him a beer, even though I don't drink.

tateuts
07-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Doomcue,

That is funny! I'm still laughing.

Chris

tateuts
07-02-2003, 02:23 PM
The Nit

My friend Howard was 16 and he played pretty good. We decided to go the pool hall, "Mother's" and play the local hustler.

The word spread among our friends that Howard was going to play for money, and the local car club followed us. Howard wanted to dress up for the event, so he wore a black shirt, black slacks, a big white studded belt, and white shoes. He looked like Elvis.

We pull up in front of Mothers with a train of at least 10 lowered, custom cars. Howard comes stroking through the pool hall doors like he owned the place, followed by his entourage of at least 20 surly looking low-rider kids.

As the drama unfolded, all eyes turn to the scene. It was like Fast Eddie himself came in looking for the Fat Man. He walked up to the local hustler, a hardened bearded biker type and said "I come here to play you for money". The player looked a little nervous and said "I dunno, how much?". Howard said "50 cents a game". The hustler said "you gotta be sh*tting me. You come here with 20 guys, white shoes, and a big white belt and you only want to play for 50 cents a game?". Hell, we thought that was a lot!

Howard lost two games, quits, and says"split the time?".

Chris

Keith Talent
07-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Funny tale. Gotta admire the single-minded devotion and focus. This was a man who knows how hard it is to shake loose from social obligations and get in some proper time at the table, and no amount of public humiliation was going to stop him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hell, nonplayers always seem to think an hour or so is plenty. Now that's what I call crazy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

heater451
07-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Sounds to me like he might have gotten left at the altar, and needed some time alone. . . .

===================

Mike H
07-02-2003, 06:27 PM
I was playing a practice set a couple weeks ago with a friend, was playing good, and got ahead 6-1 going to 7. I figured I'd really let out my break this time. I'm playing at a table next to the bathrooms, the men's room door is about 6 feet behind me and to my left. I let loose, only graze the rack (it got away from me just a bit :P), the cue ball hits the end rail, goes airborne, and flies through the bathroom door just as one of the regulars is coming out!! It scared him half to death, and I have to give up the breaks now LOL

L.S. Dennis
07-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Well I can remember many years ago at Dorothy Wise's pool room there was a money match going on and someone borrowed one of the railbird's packs of cigaretts and maticulously 'loaded' each individual cigarette with a little explosive cigarette load and then replaced them all neatly back into the pack. Well you all can immagine what happened next, the place was dead quite because of the money game going on and sure enough the railbird reached for one of his cigaretts lit it up and BOOM!!!

I'll never forget that one!

Deniel
07-02-2003, 10:17 PM
ROLMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif ok
Sounds like something straight out of a comedy movie scene ^___^

Deniel

07-03-2003, 02:11 AM
I think I got you all cold on this one, mine got on ESPN and was ran world wide for a month, and it also aired on 3 other prime time tv programs. It was when I blew up da joint. Bob Byrne in his column in billiards digest called the shot, the night the lights went out in Georgia. It also appeared on the Accustats greatest shots and bloopers of the 90's. The shot is on my video tape I offer on my web site. It was a double jump shot with two cue balls hitting in the middle of the table that went wrong and we blew up the light fixture, you have to see it to appreciate it. It is regarded as the top blooper of all time, and you could just about guess I would have it.
Fast Larry

Barbara
07-03-2003, 02:19 AM
So Mike,

Which PH would this be at?

BTW, hope you had a nice Gaetano's breakfast last Sunday. My Gaetano's is closed on Sundays. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Why the noive!

Barbara~~~doesn't want to see a flying CB her way coming out from anywhere /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hopster
07-03-2003, 03:36 AM
Well I can remember many years ago at Dorothy Wise's pool room there was a money match going on and someone borrowed one of the railbird's packs of cigaretts and maticulously 'loaded' each individual cigarette with a little explosive cigarette load and then replaced them all neatly back into the pack. Well you all can immagine what happened next, the place was dead quite because of the money game going on and sure enough the railbird reached for one of his cigaretts lit it up and BOOM!!!<--L.S.

I did that to my father when i was a kid, i thought it hilarious till he smacked me in the head. lol

L.S. Dennis
07-03-2003, 07:42 AM
Another funny thing that happened at Jimmy and Dorothy Wise's pool room was when "Bone Rack" Paul Tessure was playing nine ball, down to his last couple of dollars and finally got a shot on the nine. Just as he was getting down to shoot a fly got in the way of his sighting. As he went to swat it away he ended up swatting away his Buddy Holly style horn rim glasses off as well. One lens was covered with spider web cracks making it useless to see through in that one eye. The place just howeled about it but Paul failed to see the humor in it. He had to play through one eye for a couple of weeks until he could win enough to buy a new lens. We couldn't even change his nick name to 'The Pirate' because someone else was already being called that!

Jimmy and Dorothy Wise's room used to be in Redwood City Ca, which featured some wonderful old Gold Crown One tables with a table time rate of $1.00 per hour!

Hopster
07-03-2003, 11:00 AM
Jimmy and Dorothy Wise's room used to be in Redwood City Ca, which featured some wonderful old Gold Crown One tables with a table time rate of $1.00 per hour! <--L.S.

I have seen that name before, read it no doubt.
Wow $1 an hour ! What year was that , early 70,s ?

UWPoolGod
07-03-2003, 11:20 AM
When I was in college we were all huddled around the good table that we all played KOTH on. It was next to a wall and also and had a table and chairs next to the side of the rack. A friend of mine was sitting in a chair three feet away from the table looking the other way. I broke and sent the cueball right at his crotch nailing his sack. He did a double take, winced and fell over towards the table hitting his head on the table edge on the way down. LOL guess the knock on the head took some pain out of his groin area, but he had one hand on both heads. HAHA

L.S. Dennis
07-03-2003, 03:24 PM
That table time rate of $1.00 per hour goes back to around 1963 or so if my memory serves me right. Those were great old Gold Crown 1's there was even a really nice old 5x10 as well.

Grady used to go in there too possibly a year or two earlier, maybe around 1960.

Hopster
07-04-2003, 12:36 AM
That table time rate of $1.00 per hour goes back to around 1963 or so if my memory serves me right. Those were great old Gold Crown 1's there was even a really nice old 5x10 as well. <--L.S.

Wow, 1963 ?? Im trying to remember what table rates were when i started playing regularly around 75 or so but i cant for the life of me remember. Im wanting to say around $2.50 or so but im not sure. This is New York im talking about, not here in Vegas. Rates here are still cheap but i got to figure its cause of the liquor and especially the poker machines in the places. Those monsters really help bring in the gold, thank god i only throw a quarter in one on the 5th tuesday of every month. lol

Mike H
07-04-2003, 08:33 AM
Hola Barb, i did that at the Green Room (Fusco's old place) in Maple Shade. And I haven't gotten my paws on any Gaetano's yet....but Monday morning, it looks like one of those 17-inch beasts and a big order of cheese fries!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif And Gaetano's CLOSED on Sunday???? That's unconstitutional!!!! LOL

pooldaddy9
07-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Johnny Archer had come to the Diamond Mine in Florence, SC to do challenge matches, races to 3. $10.00 to play and if you won, you got $100.00 credit only good at the Diamond Mine. The place was packed and my buddies talk me into trying him. We lagged for the break, I'm already nervous with the big crowd and now I'm playing Johnny Archer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I hit the cue ball so hard it went 4 rails and I still won the lag by an inch. He beat me 3-2.