PDA

View Full Version : rubber cushions for my Pool table

ceebee
07-01-2003, 10:35 AM
I'm reworking my NEW-TO-ME 9' Pool Table. The RUBBER CUSHIONS are GONE... The profile is a K-66 (?) I've found some cushions at Mueller that are 2 different prices... one is $38 & the other is $200... that is quite a disparity.

My goal is to continue my practice at home & take my knowledge to the Pool Hall. My 100 year old Antique Beauty would not do that, so I sold it.

Can anybody help out here???

pooltchr
07-01-2003, 11:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> The profile is a K-66 (?) I've found some cushions at Mueller that are 2 different prices... one is $38 &amp; the other is $200... that is quite a disparity.

<hr /></blockquote>

I'm not familiar with the specific cushions in the catalogue, but my first thought is "You get what you pay for".

Rod
07-01-2003, 11:46 AM
Ceebee,
Cushions are a real sore subject with me. I will assume the $200 cushions are made by Artemis. They are excellent cushions. What ever you do don't buy cheap cushions, they are the heart of the table. The problem with instaling any cushion is the rail height. If it is to high the rebound is slower or to low and the ball can bounce. Another problem is the facing angle on the wood rail that the cushion is attached, or glued to. You can't change that. I don't know what table you have but believe me there can be discrepencies in this area.

Here is a guide line for that height, I'd keep it in the middle or if anything towards the low side.

Rail height (nose-line to table-bed) should be 63 % (+1) or between 62 % and 64 % of the diameter of the ball.

A good cushion has a high percentage of gum rubber. Gum rubber has tiny air pockets, it floats in water. This lets it breathe and keeps it lively. Cheap cushions are dense, do not float and their life expectancy is not nearly as long, not to mention how accurate balls rebound. There is more that meets the eye on cushion construction and materials used.

A few months ago I found a place in Calif that I believe makes good cushions at a moderate price. Problem is I don't have that info any longer. Do your self a favor and do some research on Google to help answer your questions. If I find that company again I'll let you know. I'm no expert but I have found out the hard way what doesn't work. LOL
BTW I'm not a fan of Brunswicks Super Speed cushions.

Rod

Cueless Joey
07-02-2003, 09:18 AM
There are really three major cushiom makers out there.
Artemis, Championship ( who make Superspeed and other copies) and Olhausen.
Artemis is the best imo. Many share this opinion including the best table mechanic who ever lived, Ernesto Dominguez.
Championship or DNR are made in Taiwan. I think they get hard too fast. Any other Asian-made imports are made to be cheap so don't expect quality. DNR is touting their new cushion but only time can prove their merits.
Olhausen makes Accu-Fast cushions. It's fine in terms of quality. Playability is another matter. It plays way differently than other cushions.
My opinion is get the Artemis and enjoy your table for DECADES.

griffith_d
07-02-2003, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> I'm reworking my NEW-TO-ME 9' Pool Table. The RUBBER CUSHIONS are GONE... The profile is a K-66 (?) I've found some cushions at Mueller that are 2 different prices... one is $38 &amp; the other is $200... that is quite a disparity.

My goal is to continue my practice at home &amp; take my knowledge to the Pool Hall. My 100 year old Antique Beauty would not do that, so I sold it.

Can anybody help out here??? <hr /></blockquote>

Do it and get it,....done right the first and forget about it. Cushions, unlike the slate, is easier to mess up, get wrong, go cheaper and go bad than any other part of the table.

Do not be cheap,..you will thank yourself for it later.

Griff

07-03-2003, 03:10 AM
Rubber is cheap, it's very expensive to have it put on correctly. I have very good prices on rubber on my website www.fastlarrypool.com. (http://www.fastlarrypool.com.) If you want the best, go with the artemis, that is what is on my table in my studio. Fast Larry Guninger

ceebee
07-03-2003, 10:08 AM
I have chosen the Dual-Density Rubber from Championship Billiard Product Company. It was introduced last year at BCA EXPO in New Orleans.

I'll give you folks a heads up, after I've had a chance to try these cushions.

I chose not to purchasae the Artemis Cushions, because all the reports were this,"these are very fast cushions, there's nothing to compare them to". Since they are very different from the cushions I'll play on, I selected something else.

Thanks for the help.

07-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Everyone is talkin quality, but what about doing the job rihgt? I had my old bruns re-rubbered to specs , (yes there are specs) for 300.00 bucks a couple years ago.( my kids have the table now) They were perfect. If you think your gonna do it yourself,and do it right, you better have the correct angles for the rubber, and the correct angle from the playing surface, ( your balls will hop if not), and the correct pocket angle. Alot of tables are different. You can go to a biliiards store, and check angles on as many tables as you want, and I promise there will be differences. Play it safe since your talkin quality, and send them to a pro service.
Call this guy
972 496 6883 and ask for david. hes in dallas
tell him bignasdy sent ya!