PDA

View Full Version : What is your next greatest pool challenge?

bluewolf
07-01-2003, 06:03 PM
I have been working on this for 10 months and it falls well below what I would like and feel that one needs to be able to do this to have consistency.

I would like to get better at hitting the cueball in the center with no unintentional top, bottom, left or right to help with accuracy.

Laura

07-02-2003, 02:13 AM
Whats a Wally? Fast Larry

Qtec
07-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Are you the real Fast Larry ?
The 'one and only '?

Q

bluewolf
07-02-2003, 05:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Whats a Wally? Fast Larry <hr /></blockquote>

Wally and I just like to fun. If you are the real fast larry, you will remember my original sig. Now go read wally's.

Laura

pooltchr
07-02-2003, 05:59 AM
Laura,
set up a stripe ball with the stripe vertical and on the head spot. Shoot it straight into the foot rail and see if it comes back to your cue tip. You will see the stripe wobble if you are putting any side spin at all on the ball. Aim for just a bit above center to get a good smooth roll on the ball.

bluewolf
07-02-2003, 06:35 AM
Thanks!Scott told me this 10 mo ago, but I did it so bad, I stopped doing it to salvage what little pool self esteem I had. And I did it over and over and did not get better, so what is the point of doing it over and over wrong if you do not know what you are doing wrong or why?

Back then, I could not even do scotts straight in shot drill. I literally could not tell if a ball was straight or a slight cut so could not line up the drill.

My husband told me even the apa 7s dont do this always consistently. I have no idea what level of perfect consistency is realistic for how long I have played.Or even if I should worry about how long I have played or if that is just a box that one puts themself into, which is bad.

I do know though that enough people have said that the better the fundamentals, the better ultimately the game.

I dont want to be unrealistic but then do know I need to get better at this. Someone will coach me in a match, put left english for instance. I say after I miss it, it did have left. It seems like I saw it as more left than it was.I get more balls in without a coach in a match(except for position stuff like order to hit last three balls) and rarely ask for one because I usually miss the coached shots.

Someone told me if I am off to the right, for instance, to put what looks like left and it is really center and my eye will learn the correct place. I think that if I consistently put eng to one side or the other it would be easier to fix. But sometimes I see it just right. And the rest of the time I dont.

Sometimes I guess I am unrealistic. Sometimes,(even though I now try to be realistic based on how much table time I have, not much)I get so obsessed with getting these fundamentals perfect to the point that I do not care if the balls go in or not, whether I lose or win, I just want perfect on things like this. Periodically, I go back to just hitting balls to keep from being too frustrated,but always go back to wanting perfect perfect perfect on these basics.

I do not know if this is a good attitude for pool. I think I got this attitude from karate.Maybe this attitude is bad.Maybe I put too much pressure on myself too soon. I really do not know.

bummers.

bw

bluewolf
07-02-2003, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr>set pause finish freeze

thanks to scott and randy, I got that pretty good. Practiced it obsessively. I cannot not freeze, I cannot drop the elbow, I cannot pop up. It is like breathing.

Might not do lots of things right, but I got that, maybe not perfect but to not freeze would be as hard as trying to not breathe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-02-2003, 07:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Thanks!Scott told me this 10 mo ago, but I did it so bad, I stopped doing it to salvage what little pool self esteem I had. And I did it over and over and did not get better, so what is the point of doing it over and over wrong if you do not know what you are doing wrong or why?.....<hr /></blockquote>

Instead of shooting the length of the table, try shooting from side to side. When you get that down then maybe you can try the long way again.

TomBrooklyn
07-02-2003, 07:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Sometimes I get so obsessed with getting these fundamentals perfect to the point that I do not care if the balls go in or not, whether I lose or win, I just want perfect on things like this. Maybe this attitude is bad. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself too soon. <hr /></blockquote> I'm not sure, but the thoughts you are describing may be detrimental to your game. You might benefit from reading the famous best selling book THE INNER GAME OF TENNIS (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679778314/qid=1057154146/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-9810268-1055805?v=glance&amp;s=books&amp;n=507846#product-details), which helped many people improve their mental approach to their game. It can be applied to other games besides tennis. I read it about twenty-five years ago and found it useful.

Also, remember that in the season that Babe Ruth hit more home runs than had ever been hit before, he also struck out more times than any other major league batter.

=Tom

mickey2
07-02-2003, 08:01 AM
What is your next greatest pool challenge?
=&gt; High run of 50 in 14/1