PDA

View Full Version : just an observation...

rackmup
07-02-2003, 04:33 AM
...it's amazing how much better you can play when you clear your head and really focus.

I mean, paying attention to things like bringing the cue straight back and through the ball, seeing the path of the OB to the pocket, etc.

Like I said, just an observation.

Regards,

Ken (observant of the fact this might be simply construed as an early morning rambling rather than a break-through revelation.)

bluewolf
07-02-2003, 05:03 AM
Ken,

I am just now learning to do this. Not perfectly, of course, just better. These days, I focus on the fundamentals, the aim and shoot. Some matches I shoot better than others.

bw

pooltchr
07-02-2003, 05:56 AM
You are correct in that getting that focus is critical to improving your game. What you focus on is also critical. I think you have to separate practice from play time. When you practice, you focus on the fundamentals such as your stroke, grip, stance, etc. When you are in a match, you need to focus only on the shot at hand. If you practice the mechanics, you will find that they become natural and you don't need to think about them when you are playing a match. It will come together. The biggest mistake I remember in pool came the day after I finished 3 days of class with Randy G. It was league night, and my head was full of all the great new stuff I had just learned. Think about my bridge, stroke,etc, I ended up getting my a$$ handed to me. The next week, after I had practiced several hours, I just went in and played my game. The results were much better.

Practice to learn...play to win!

Ward
07-02-2003, 06:01 AM
Ken

Little early for the sauce?

Later

DoomCue
07-02-2003, 06:14 AM
I totally agree with you. Apply conscious thought to the practice table, not match play. Practice is the time to enter shots and technique into the mental computer. Match play is the time to pull those things out of the computer, not to work on shots and technique. Therefore, practice is the time to make shots and technique second nature, so you don't have to think about those things during a match. Focus during a match should be applied only to making the shot and getting the cue ball to its desired position. That's it. During match play, don't think about stroke, follow through, bridge, stance, grip, etc. These should have already been practiced to death. Free your mind up from thinking of these things by concentrating only on the task at hand, and allow your body to automatically do what you've trained it to do. Think during practice so you don't have to think during match play.

socrates
07-02-2003, 06:29 AM
You can observe a lot just by watching.
Yogi Bera

Qtec
07-02-2003, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ken (observant of the fact this might be simply construed as an early morning rambling rather than a break-through revelation.)
<hr /></blockquote>

Ken, even in the morning, you are so perceptive . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

bolo
07-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Those things should be second nature, they should not require conscious effort. It is usually a sign you don't play enough. Even for a strong player, if they lay off for a while, they will find things missing from their game that they have to identify. Once back in the groove though it again becomes second nature. Overly conscious play is not that good in the long run, in my opinion. It keeps you from finding any kind of zone or groove and can go bad on you because you are thinking too much. You are actually being distracted from the game it's self.

HOWARD
07-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Ken,

The clear head is the trick. No distraction from another part of your life clouding your thoughts etc.

Then the focus of inner strength with the ability that you
have put in your game by practice can come out.

Now all we have to do is find something to clear those brain cells up for the clear head.

Howard

rackmup
07-02-2003, 06:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bolo:</font><hr> Overly conscious play is not that good in the long run, in my opinion. <hr /></blockquote>

If I were being overly conscious, my head wouldn't be clear. That was exactly my point...when you have no thoughts about anything else, you play better. Now, Dr. Phil...start posting under your real name!. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Regards,

Ken

rackmup
07-02-2003, 06:07 PM
That's a fact, Jack.

4AM, 10 cups of coffee brewing, a good day ahead of me, thick-cut smoked bacon and eggs sizzling on the griddle, the "Star-Telegram" unfolded on the table in front of me, no one else in the neighborhood moving about, the wife where she belongs (in the role of an "EX-WIFE")...

...life is good and I am perceptive about all that is around me...

...(where did I put that bottle of Tabasco?)

Regards,

Ken

rackmup
07-02-2003, 06:08 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif (hic*...)

Umm...nope.

Regards,

Ken

07-02-2003, 06:27 PM
ditto on the hic ugh, Condense it all down into two words, Focus, concentration. Fast Larry

07-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Dis is not whut he said, he said, it aint over till its over, unless Mickey gets up to bat, den it's over. Fast Larry

bluewolf
07-02-2003, 06:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> If I were being overly conscious, my head wouldn't be clear. That was exactly my point...when you have no thoughts about anything else, you play better. Now, Dr. Phil...start posting under your real name!. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Regards,

Ken <hr /></blockquote>

Do you mean focussed and relaxed at the same time?
Laura

bolo
07-02-2003, 10:38 PM
I don't know if I made my self very clear. I just know so many players that refuse to just play the game. Every time you see them it is something else. The first words out of their mouth is, I just found what I was doing wrong. Mean time in 10 years of play they are still trying to find where to put their feet and how to hold their head. It is one revelation after another, the search for the magic answer. They want to be good players or say they do, but don't really want to put in the work. Just general comments not necessarily meant to apply to you. Actually I doubt they can change, they are just stuck being themselves and that is that.

07-03-2003, 01:15 AM
great point bolo, it is a game, a game is to enjoy and have fun at, if you are not doing that now, you are a failure. A game does not mean you work for 10 years as a slave to achieve some perfection you do not understand. It does not mean you get nothing but frustration because your goals are too high or you think to be successful you must play equal to the top stick in your room. You are successful if you go out tomorrow night and play and have fun. Fast Larry