PDA

View Full Version : When is close too close?

griffith_d
07-02-2003, 10:46 AM
I was playing in my 9 ball tournament last night and this guy who has won it the last 8 times, and now is handicapped, started a match where I had been practicing before. All of my stuff was there against the wall,...cues, case, drink, etc and I was sitting there against the wall and never moved. I was not in the way and only one shot(out of 3 games) was I close(two feet away) and he never even looked at me, never said "excuse me", nothing,.. just shot and went on.

He went on to go up 3-0 and was killing him and then I walked away and came back down on the end of the wall, even farther away and he was on the 9 straight in, 1 foot shot,...he jumps up throws his cue saying, "I can't shoot, this guy is walking around, sitting around",...just being a real jerk but only said it to someone else,...too chicken to say it to me.

I had only moved that one time during 3 games,...geez!

I do not think I was interfering ever, when this is a pool hall with waitresses and other people all over the place.

Has this happened to you?

Griff

pooltchr
07-02-2003, 10:51 AM
The guy was probably just looking for an excuse for poor play. In a ph with a dozen tables and 70 or 80 people milling around, you gotta learn to tune out the "distractions". Sounds like this guy has a little bit of maturing to do.

SPetty
07-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Hi griffith_d,

In the local pool rooms that I visit, each table has limited seating capacity. Like barely two chairs per table - or one chair per player.

Is it possible you were sitting in his table's space? Or were you clearly in the spectator section? If you were sitting in his table's space, it was probably your lack of movement (as in moving yourself out of his table's space) more than your movement that irritated him from the beginning and boiled up and over.

I agree that he should have said something to you if he had a problem with it.

Chris Cass
07-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Hey Griff,

Tell him to kiss your a$$. You did nothing wrong. Limited seating, he was up in games, you said nothing nor did anything when he was down on the ball. Tough toenails, he's a loser.

Regards,

C.C.~~hates whinners especialy when their winning. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

griffith_d
07-02-2003, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Hi griffith_d,

In the local pool rooms that I visit, each table has limited seating capacity. Like barely two chairs per table - or one chair per player.

Is it possible you were sitting in his table's space? Or were you clearly in the spectator section? If you were sitting in his table's space, it was probably your lack of movement (as in moving yourself out of his table's space) more than your movement that irritated him from the beginning and boiled up and over.

I agree that he should have said something to you if he had a problem with it.
<hr /></blockquote>

This is a crowded PH, where there are tables along the wall, which he was at, has three or four bar stools and a place to put your drinks and ashtray. There is only one spectator area in the whole place of 30 tables. Usually, if someone is in my way, I let them know and say exuse me and no one minds moving.

He is one of the few very serious minded players that likes to talk to no one. It almost takes the fun out of pool,..I have played him a few times and he really does not say much and seems like he is in a bad mood all of the time.

Last night was the first time I saw him smile, was when he was talking to the semi-pro that comes once in awhile.

Obviously, he thought I was in his way.

Griff

griffith_d
07-02-2003, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hey Griff,

Tell him to kiss your a$$. You did nothing wrong. Limited seating, he was up in games, you said nothing nor did anything when he was down on the ball. Tough toenails, he's a loser.

Regards,

C.C.~~hates whinners especialy when their winning. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I thought about doing that the whole way down the street going home. I probably will if it happens again, but I am not going to walk on eggshells around him,..I treat everyone with respect around there. Everyone there is my friend and he is the new(two months) kid on the block. I will chalk it up to giving the benefit of the doubt this time.

Griff

John G
07-02-2003, 12:08 PM
What did you mean , "and now is handicapped". If it's a recent physical problem he's probably 'suffering' with a case of self pity. Hasn't adjusted to his 'handicap', poor boy. You said he was standing on one foot to make the shot,
the guy should look around it can be a lot worse. As to your moving around, it's a pool room thats what people do in a pool room. May you could buy the widdle baby a loli pop. I hate people that wallow in self pity. John G

griffith_d
07-02-2003, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote John G:</font><hr> What did you mean , "and now is handicapped". If it's a recent physical problem he's probably 'suffering' with a case of self pity. Hasn't adjusted to his 'handicap', poor boy. You said he was standing on one foot to make the shot,
the guy should look around it can be a lot worse. As to your moving around, it's a pool room thats what people do in a pool room. May you could buy the widdle baby a loli pop. I hate people that wallow in self pity. John G <hr /></blockquote>

I am sorry, I used the term in "pool" terms. He is so good that he has to win more than averyone else,...we have win 3 and he has to win 4.

Personally, I think he is whinning about nothing when he was killing the guy.

Griff

tateuts
07-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Griff,

You did the right thing by not making a scene. Forget it. This player didn't handle it well. Throwing his stick on the table is baby stuff. It reflects poorly on him, not you. Everyone will know how to rattle this guy from now on.

I personally try to avoid just such situations. For example, if I want to sit close to a match to watch, I will ask the players - both of them - if it's OK to sit here. I will read their reactions and if there is any hesitation at all then I won't do it. A lot of chairs are just too close to the tables. I've had people actually stand next to my table watching me play, and although I thought it was bad form, it didn't distract me. Once I was watching a tournament match from the sideline chairs. A coke I was drinking had the top loosely screwed on. I dropped the coke on the floor. It sprayed the table from the floor like a lawn sprinkler while this guy was lining up on the nine-ball. I thought they would yell at me but instead they laughed their a**es off.

Never know.

Chris

griffith_d
07-02-2003, 12:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Griff,

You did the right thing by not making a scene. Forget it. This player didn't handle it well. Throwing his stick on the table is baby stuff. It reflects poorly on him, not you. Everyone will know how to rattle this guy from now on.

I personally try to avoid just such situations. For example, if I want to sit close to a match to watch, I will ask the players - both of them - if it's OK to sit here. I will read their reactions and if there is any hesitation at all then I won't do it. A lot of chairs are just too close to the tables. I've had people actually stand next to my table watching me play, and although I thought it was bad form, it didn't distract me. Once I was watching a tournament match from the sideline chairs. A coke I was drinking had the top loosely screwed on. I dropped the coke on the floor. It sprayed the table from the floor like a lawn sprinkler while this guy was lining up on the nine-ball. I thought they would yell at me but instead they laughed their a**es off.

Never know.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

You're right, getting rattled on my end would have made my game worse and also the evening. I tend to be a calm person and friendly to everyone, even when they are in my face.

There are all kind of people that lose their temper over nothing and some of them play pool.

Griff

SPetty
07-02-2003, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> He is one of the few very serious minded players that likes to talk to no one. It almost takes the fun out of pool,..I have played him a few times and he really does not say much and seems like he is in a bad mood all of the time.<hr /></blockquote>Oh, O.K., I see. He's just a jerk. He was just showing people who might now know it yet that he's a jerk. Glad it didn't affect your game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tateuts
07-02-2003, 01:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> I tend to be a calm person and friendly to everyone, even when they are in my face.

There are all kind of people that lose their temper over nothing and some of them play pool.

Griff <hr /></blockquote>

Griff,

You're my kind of guy. What you need to do is practice up and beat this character. Then he can whine all he wants to and it will be music to your ears!

Chris

Chris Cass
07-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Oh Griff,

You don't necessarily need to be so blunt. I just used that for a point. There's other ways of saying the same thing. Please don't take everything I say literally. LOL

Once playing Jamie (Wilson) Baraks a friend of mine at a tourney he broke came up dry. I ran the entire rack of 8 ball. When approaching the 8 for my shot with it straight in and 6" between the cb and the 8, he started waving his hands and muttering frantically. So, I assumed he'd given to me and gathered the balls. He said, "I didn't give you that game!" I was floored being friends with Mark his x step dad for over 10 yrs. he was totally out of line. Instead of saying kiss my a$$. I said, "Man, you are really weak." Same difference. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
07-02-2003, 03:48 PM
C.C.~~hates whinners especialy when their winning
<font color="blue"> hates winners especialy when their whinning </font color>

.........wolf , pack.....google gaggle ....

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

griffith_d
07-02-2003, 05:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> I tend to be a calm person and friendly to everyone, even when they are in my face.

Griff <hr /></blockquote>

Griff,

You're my kind of guy. What you need to do is practice up and beat this character. Then he can whine all he wants to and it will be music to your ears!

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

I know,...I would love it. I have beat him in games here and there, I just need to put it all together in a match.

Griff

griffith_d
07-02-2003, 05:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Oh Griff,

You don't necessarily need to be so blunt. I just used that for a point. There's other ways of saying the same thing. Please don't take everything I say literally. LOL

Once playing Jamie (Wilson) Baraks a friend of mine at a tourney he broke came up dry. I ran the entire rack of 8 ball. When approaching the 8 for my shot with it straight in and 6" between the cb and the 8, he started waving his hands and muttering frantically. So, I assumed he'd given to me and gathered the balls. He said, "I didn't give you that game!" I was floored being friends with Mark his x step dad for over 10 yrs. he was totally out of line. Instead of saying kiss my a$$. I said, "Man, you are really weak." Same difference. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I kinda figured you meant figuratively, but I was still thinking it. I think he went and told someone else instead of me, because he had some sort of sense. I am a head taller, a lot bigger and he was trying to make me look bad in front of my friends. I do not think they bought it.

He does not seem to have many friends up there,...maybe he was trying to make some.

Griff

Qtec
07-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Griff, I know this type of player , or should I say 'prima donna'. After winning so many times , he seems to think the tournament is just for him.
Maybe one of the CeeBees can come around , challenge him to a game and grind him into the dirt. Boy I love it when that happens.

Q

griffith_d
07-03-2003, 05:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Griff, I know this type of player , or should I say 'prima donna'. After winning so many times , he seems to think the tournament is just for him.
Maybe one of the CeeBees can come around , challenge him to a game and grind him into the dirt. Boy I love it when that happens.

Q

<hr /></blockquote>

The semi-pro, Tommy, that was in there that night would have pounded him, but it was almost midnight and I had to go or I would have stayed to watch him get beat. This Tommy has not been there in as many months as this guy has won.

Tommy is a nice guy, does not talk much, smoothest stroke I have ever seen,....he only shows up every once in awhile when he needs some extra money or the place where he ususally plays is not happening.

Griff