PDA

View Full Version : 9-Ball Rules ?????

MikeJanis
07-02-2003, 06:51 PM
What are the current 9-ball rules your local TOUR or TOURNAMENT uses ? If a tour, which one?

If you could change them to any other published format would that be? (Without changes to any individual rules)

Do you think Jump Cues should be allowed?

Any comments?

Mj

Tom_In_Cincy
07-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Texas Express,
Yes, Jump cues should be allowed

Make tour fees (membership fees) good for more than 1 year.

Pay out more than 25% of the field.

Make it more interesting for the average players to play, give them a chance to become better players and your tour will grow.

Keep up the good work..

Leviathan
07-02-2003, 08:57 PM
'Lo, Mike. I like the World Standardized (BCA) rules of 1/24/02. They're clearly and accurately written, and just about everyone who plays 9-Ball has already learned them by osmosis. World Standardized Rule 5.3 permits tournament organizers to specify how it's determined who breaks; I personally prefer an alternate break format.

The use of jump cues isn't a big issue with me, but if it's just a question of druthers, then I guess I'd prefer that jump cues not be used.

The guy who runs the weekly tournaments I play in thinks he's running them by the Texas Express rules--but he isn't. He's playing by a mixture of Texas Express and BCA rules. I don't think that many local or regional players really know the Texas Express rules.

One general observation about tour structure: I don't and won't play in handicap tournaments.

You're doing a great job with the Viking Tour. I wish you great success with the new unified tour!

Duke Mantee

07-02-2003, 09:18 PM
I have a comment on this, does Jack Nicklaus show up to play with just a driver, no, he has 14 clubs for the different shots that come up. One club wont make all shots.
So what is the problem with pool. I show up to do shows with 2 cues, Meucci soft for follows, Schuler stiff for draws, a masse and a jump cue. Having multiple cues or shafts only stimulates business in the industry and allows players to make more shots. It is time to grow and to evolve. Fast Larry /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MikeJanis
07-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Larry, I personally agree about the different cue issue. But waht about the rules? Which set of rules do you think should be used?

Mj

L.S. Dennis
07-02-2003, 10:01 PM
Most professional tournaments these days are using "Pro Express Rules" which are slightly different from the old "Texas Express Rules" I'm told. Personally I would like to see "Grady's Ruless" adopted as the standard for 9-ball but I know that will never happen.

Yes jump cues should be allowed as long as they are at least 40 inches in length.

07-03-2003, 02:17 AM
Mr Janis, why cant we have 4 cues? I would like to see two rule books everyone meets and agrees to and stop this confusion. I think we need a call shot strict rule book for the pros, and a loose rule book for the amateur league players, what I call drunk bar pool rules. You cant have a serious sport with every one writing their own rule books. Golf has one rule book, period, pool does not. Fast Larry

MikeJanis
07-03-2003, 02:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> Mr Janis, why cant we have 4 cues? I would like to see two rule books everyone meets and agrees to and stop this confusion. I think we need a call shot strict rule book for the pros, and a loose rule book for the amateur league players, what I call drunk bar pool rules. You cant have a serious sport with every one writing their own rule books. Golf has one rule book, period, pool does not. Fast Larry <hr /></blockquote>

Larry, currently I don't enforce the # of cues rule to a table rule. I wholeheartedly agree with you that we should use as many different cues in a game as possible (that would be good for the cue industry). I have also never enforced that 2 cues only rule. If you want to switch cues during a game at one of my events, you have my blessing. Juat make sure you do it at your turn at the table and are not sitting/standing fiddling with your cues while your opponent shoots.

As far as loose rules goes and pro rules. We kinda already have that. the Texas express rules and the BCA or World Standardized rules fit the "loose" description. While at the same time the pro's have ther own set called Pro Express.

But to end confusion to players. I would prefer that 1 set, preferably World Standardized rules be used in every local tourney, on all regional tours and the pro events.
If you look abroad, you will see that most every other country is using the World rules. I hope we can conform.

Mj

Barbara
07-03-2003, 03:03 AM
Mike,

I believe that all of the WPBA sanctioned Regional Tours use the WPBA rules to play by. But what are these rules? They are loosely defined in my RT handbook. I have interpreted them as being based on BCA rules without a referee presiding over each match, so "cue ball fouls only" apply.

So I have to explain the "WPBA" rules when using a bridge - if you disturb more than two balls when shooting/removing the bridge from the playing surface, it is a foul.

If you disturb a ball with your body or cue while shooting and a ball that has been set in motion during your shot comes into the "disturbed area" or makes contact with a "disturbed ball" is a foul. It's a hard one to explain without a real-time table for graphics.

Other than that, I rely on the BCA rule book for further interpretation. Some of the rules may be found to be contradictary, but since the re-write of the book in 2000, I think they've gotten better.

Patty Ireland and Bruce Baker and Roger Glenn could all explain these rules a whole lot better. Hell, they wrote them!

Barbara~~~just a minor referee...

07-03-2003, 04:16 PM
Any one who writes a rule that at 8 ball you break and make the 8 ball and do not win, is a moron and totally out of touch with playing world. If the rules these ivory tower eggheads are writing are so good, why do they keep getting changed constantly?

Barbara
07-03-2003, 04:22 PM
The intent of the BCA 8-ball rules is to take out the "luck" factor in playing the game.

Besides, the 8-ball is NEVER neutral and does not become your legal object ball until you pocket your established pattern of balls. So breaking in the 8-ball is not a win.

Barbara