PDA

View Full Version : Starting a College Pool League/Club

KevinT
07-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Hello everyone.

I will be attending Indiana State University in the fall, and am interested in starting a billiards club or league. It is a fairly large school, so I believe enough people would be interested in joining. I would like advice from anyone who knows what would be involved or has experience in this field. I recall reading a post once about the governing body for intercollegiate billiards, but I can't remember what it was. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks in advance, Kevin.

pooltchr
07-03-2003, 06:03 AM
Contact the Billiard Congress of America
www.bca-pool.com (http://www.bca-pool.com)

UWPoolGod
07-03-2003, 08:37 AM
I just gradutated from U of Washington. We started a pool club on campus. We needed 5 current student ID's, declare a heirachical system of government (pres, VP, Sec, Tres...), and make a declaration of governing rules and things you are trying to accomplish. Also having weekly meeting where the minutes are kept and opinions voices about the club. Basically these meetings just came in the pool room when we were all playing ring games or king of the hill. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But after the first year and people graduated noone wanted the responsibility to organize, so it just went away. The UW does not give credits for PE, or intramural activities (golf,fencing,fitness, etc) like some other colleges. So a couple of students started a extension class that was after normal school hours where they charged $50 per student for 12 weeks (once a week). They would run drills and get taught by these fellows. At the middle and end of the course they had to show significant improvement and be able to execute several shots for the credit.

I know that some of my friends from college regionals who play for WSU get paid for being instructors in their pool room. But they actually have classes that people can take for credit. $12/hr 3 hours a day to stand there and watch bangers who just want the credit.

Just some thoughts.

Todd

UTAddb
07-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Maybe you could set up a web page through the school's site.

07-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Kevin,
Try the website www.acui.org (http://www.acui.org) Go to Student Recreation Programs. They give advice on holding campuswide tournaments/leagues. I go to school at Indiana University Northwest (Gary). If you're interested we could set up some type of Indiana Collegiate Billiards competition between top 5 students from each school. Just promise to take it easy on our lil satellite campus /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Matt