PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of the Sexes

9 Ball Girl
07-03-2003, 02:14 PM
I just got through reading the article of the "Battle of the Sexes" in this month's BD mag. Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is it thought that the men are better than the women? It can't be a physical thing since pool doesn't require physical strength the way say boxing or wrestling would. Pool is all mental and experience, no? Yeah you have some of the guys that are better than the women, but I think some of the women are better than some of those guys, don't you think? Doesn't it just all boil down to experience, practice time, and mental strength? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kato
07-03-2003, 02:42 PM
I don't want to fight with the girls. I don't like to fight.

Kato~~~pretty much sure we're all pool players.

Keith Talent
07-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Maybe just a deeper talent pool, more pool-obsessed misfits of the male species. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Had this thought when my wife and a friend of hers dropped by the poolhall to meet me before having a few drinks one Saturday afternoon. Apparently, they stood around for a few minutes and watched before coming up to me. It was the usual scene in this particular dungeon ... maybe 5 or 6 guys practicing solo, couple of old hustlers sitting on stools looking around, maybe a game or two going on.

The idea of this as entertainment struck my wife's friend this way. "Men are weird," she said. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

07-03-2003, 03:09 PM
Wendy, I don't think it's a physical thing. By all accounts, men in general are just more competitive than women, so their drive to win tends to be stronger. Allison said in that article that she thinks women in general can't be as competitive as men because very few women players have the "killer instinct" like she does. Men are just wired differently, and are more psychologically prone to push themselves to win.

Combine that with the sheer numbers of top male players compared to female -- the field of male players is just so much larger. I don't know the statistics but I would guess the ratio of top male players to top female players at probably 20:1 or more. When the talent pool is that much one-sided, I think it's far harder for the smaller side to remain competitive.

Cueless Joey
07-03-2003, 03:57 PM
The best piano and chess players are men as well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I think women have a disadvantage in term of physical makeup in pool. Women have to shoot with a higher elbow. Loree Jon mentioned this in her video with Rempe.
I think men have better hand to eye coordination too.
Plus men are really more ruthless. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
As good as Allison is, she's been offered the 6-out by Efren and his backers.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Wendy,
Only the top men pro players are better than the top pro women players and even this can be disputed.

Some of the pro men believe that none of the top 5 women player could compete with any of the top 16 men pro players.

Karen Corr competes on the Joss tour with the men and has had success against Mika Immonem. Wether Karen could have success on a consistant basis is an answer we could only guess.

If we discuss the rest of the pool players (non-pro) I have seen some really good local female players that consistantly humble some of the stronger male local players.

Women can compete in the amature ranks, that's for sure.

At the pro level, its just a matter of time. I think that the ladies can and will prove that they can play at the highest level and with the highest competition available and it might surprize a lot of men some day when its an "all women" finals at the US Open.

Drake
07-03-2003, 04:22 PM
Any touring Pro will tell you that 9 ball has A LOT to do with how well you break. It's well know that Busty and Archer Break close to 30. The women can usually lack in the break department. Maybe a game of One pocket would be more evenly matched.

Cueless Joey
07-03-2003, 04:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drake:</font><hr> Any touring Pro will tell you that 9 ball has A LOT to do with how well you break. It's well know that Busty and Archer Break close to 30. The women can usually lack in the break department. Maybe a game of One pocket would be more evenly matched. <hr /></blockquote>
Not a chance. One-pocket skills takes years to develop.
I doubt if any woman has any patience for that game. If there was one, she'd make a ton of money since nobody thinks a woman plays one-pocket. Jenny Lee is the only player I know who plays some one-hole.
Let's face it. One-pocket is a gambler's game now. How many women gamble nowadays?

UTAddb
07-03-2003, 04:35 PM
I think women have just as good of a potential to be good, there are just more male players so there is likely to be more good male players than female.

Steve Lipsky
07-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Hey Tom. I am curious about your statement concerning women and the amateur ranks. What level are we talking about here? If you are talking B and below, then I would agree with you.

Once you get up to the strong A's and the Opens (even forgetting about the pros), it's a different story. The only women who could compete in an A tournament are the pros ranked from about 5 to 20. Move it up to an Open tournament, and it's 1 to 4. That's the best 4 women in the world competing against a regional pool of Open men.

Karen's successes on the Joss tour are impressive, but it is not a pro tour. In the strong Joss tournaments, there are usually around 10 pros with the rest of the field comprised of Opens and A's.

And remember, most of these tournaments are races to 9. Can anyone see a woman beating a top male pro in, say, an 8-ahead set?

- Steve

07-03-2003, 05:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drake:</font><hr> Any touring Pro will tell you that 9 ball has A LOT to do with how well you break. It's well know that Busty and Archer Break close to 30. The women can usually lack in the break department.<hr /></blockquote>Not to turn this thread into a break discussion, but I don't subscribe to your hard break argument, especially after my lesson with Scott Lee. Many years ago, when I was young and more macho, I thought you had to break like a mule, as hard as you could, to be a good 9-ball player. I've since realized that isn't the case.

Before my lesson with Scott, we discussed what I felt where my weaknesses and what areas we should probably work on the most. One thing was I felt that my break needed some work, since I don't practice it much and I don't break nearly as hard as I used to. I figured Scott would spend some time with me on increasing power while maintaining control. Turns out we spent no more than 10 minutes of our marathon 11 hour day on breaking -- he clocked me at only 15-17mph, and yet when I concentrated on hitting the head ball cleanly and accurately I was consistently pocketing 1-3 balls, getting a good spread, and controlling the cueball to near-center of the table. He said nothing was wrong with my break and he wouldn't change anything, which boosted my confidence and made me feel better about it.

It just doesn't make sense to me to put so much emphasis on break power when a 15mph break can produce the same results as a 30mph break, and more consistently. Breaking hard compromises accuracy of hit both on tip-to-cueball and cueball-to-headball, which is crucial to getting good results out of the rack. If you can break that hard and control the cueball and get results, then more power to ya (no pun intended), but I'm witness to the fact that good technique trumps power any day. Perhaps the harder break can get better results from a sloppy rack, but if I'm competing on any serious level, I won't tolerate a sloppy rack to begin with.

Just my $0.02, of course... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bolo
07-03-2003, 05:28 PM
No explanation, it just happens to be a fact. You could almost count the women players on your fingers,(pros I mean) that could beat the average local top male player in a given area. If you took the top 10 ladies players on the road and matched them up with local champs you would go broke. I would say with the exception of a very few of the ladies, I would play any of them for the cash, I would say most of the better men players on this board would do the same. However with the top 10 men players they would possibly never even get beat once. You can discuss it till the cows come home, (And it all ready has been), but the fact still remains, that is just the way it is.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-03-2003, 05:48 PM
Steve wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Tom. I am curious about your statement concerning women and the amateur ranks. What level are we talking about here? If you are talking B and below, then I would agree with you.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yes Steve, that was what I was talking about. Local B's and below. The women are getting stronger in these areas. IMO, its just a matter of time before the women catchup to the men in skill and numbers. The GAME is attracting more and more women now more than ever. And, the women are getting great coaching and training (somehow they realize that its more important, than the men do, male ego thing.. "I can learn by myself, I don't need a teacher") and the women will become better quicker.

It's just a numbers and time thing, before the women will get the respect that they deserve.

Or, they get married, have babies and use the pool table for a folding table for the laundry. (JUST KIDDING)

07-03-2003, 08:43 PM
Post deleted by ccb_admin_2

Hopster
07-04-2003, 12:51 AM
I have seen Allison and Karen play numerous times and i think they would be right at the top with the guys. The two of them just dont miss that often so whats gender got to do with it ? You step up to the table and make everything you shoot at consistently like they do, who is going to beat you ?
Just my opinion.

bluewolf
07-04-2003, 05:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I just got through reading the article of the "Battle of the Sexes" in this month's BD mag. Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is it thought that the men are better than the women? It can't be a physical thing since pool doesn't require physical strength the way say boxing or wrestling would. Pool is all mental and experience, no? Doesn't it just all boil down to experience, practice time, and mental strength? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Just my opinion, 9ball, and of course I speak of sports not requiring musclses for excellence. Yes, practice, experience, mental strength. IMO, killer instinct is very important also. Any slight disadvantages can be gotten around if the person has also that killer instince, because adapability, the fierce determination and drive to win is key.

Even in karate, where muscles are much more a factor, a stronger opponent can be beaten by a weaker one by adaptability and killer instinct. That is just my opinion from what I have seen in men and women.

Entering pool at a much older age than you is very much a disadvantage, having not as much time to get that time on the table. You are young and from what I hear, rising to the 'cream' very fast. If you are also adaptable and have that 'killer instinct', there is no reason why you cannot be a very top pool player, regardless of sex.

I speak not as an expert in pool, but keenly observant and had that killer instinct when young, but there is that necessity to be so determined that you do not care what people think, put downs do not stop you, they only fire you to higher levels. Yes, this one pool beginner very much believes in you and that you can be top, providing the drive.

Laura

rackem0315
07-04-2003, 01:14 PM
As good as Allison is, she's been offered the 6-out by Efren and his backers. (from Cueless Joey)

That is true, but if you go a little farther in the article, Grady Mathews will put up a quarter million for Efren to play her in twenty five cities with no handicap and according to the article, the backer wouldn't go for it.

Photoguy
07-04-2003, 01:16 PM
I had this conversation with one of the very top WPBA players once and she said that Men vs. Women, she would almost always bet on the guy. Why? Because most men can break so much harder. Statistics show that the Male pros sink about 2 to 3 balls on the break while the Female pros sink average 1 to 2. In 9-ball, when at the pro level, all of these players can consistantly run rack after rack, one or two balls can make a huge difference when you are only playing with 9 balls. The alternate break certainly helps even this out a bit. Now as others have said, it may be very different if they played other games like straight pool or one-pocket.

Steve Lipsky
07-04-2003, 01:38 PM
Photoguy, with all due respect, your post is a little on the silly side. Statistics do not show that men are averaging 2-3 balls on the break. Where did you see this?

Maybe you are thinking of some tournaments with the Sardo? The Sardo did present some atrociously high average-balls-made stats - but everyone was soft-breaking. So even if these are the tournaments to which you are referring, men would theoretically have no advantage.

No, the top men are better players simply because they play the game in such an intimidating fashion. The better women play very well, but they don't scare their opponents in the same way a Bustamante does.

- Steve

Hopster
07-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Maybe you are thinking of some tournaments with the Sardo? The Sardo did present some atrociously high average-balls-made stats - but everyone was soft-breaking. &lt;--Steve

Are they still using the Sardo ? I watched a tourny on tv a while ago and they were using the wood rack,has the Sardo been thrown out ?

Tom_In_Cincy
07-04-2003, 01:58 PM
Sardo has pulled their sponsorship from all tournaments and the WPBA.
No reason was given.

Hopster
07-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Sardo has pulled their sponsorship from all tournaments and the WPBA.
No reason was given. &lt;--Tom

Aint that something ? I wonder if somebody forgot to send an envelope under the table to somebody. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
07-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Just out of curiosity Wendy, when did you receive your BD mag? I got mine about several weeks ago. I personally have to agree that the top women wouldnt make the top tier of the standings in an open event, like several of the top men said in the article.

A pefect example would be Archer/Hoffstetter practice sessions stated in the article. Please dont misunderstand me, I am not biased against the women. I am sure that I would be destroyed by most if not all of them. The only brightspot is I did get a win in race to five barbox 9ball event against Jeanette Lee. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The problem with that is that it does go to show that anything can happen in a shorter match. With the longer sets usually played in mens events, the women are already at a disadvantage since the better player will almost always prevail in the longer set format.

In reguards to the break, I dont see that much of a difference in it. The soft break works very well which has been proven. Therefore the women dont need to be as strong as the men to get a good break. If anything, I think they would be better at the soft break. JMHO.

9 Ball Girl
07-05-2003, 10:51 AM
I received my BD mag about 2 weeks ago but just read it recently because I've been driving in to work and usually the only chance I get to read my mags is when I take the train so...

Wendy~~~longest run-on sentence? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Fran Crimi
07-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Now, now, be nice guys...LOL!

Actually, I thought it was that Sardo lost the bid this year. I could be wrong but I think that's what happened. They just had some competition this year.

It's kind of a shame that two years ago we didn't think of using the alternate break format. We could have been racking the one ball on the spot with the Sardo rack all along. Darn it.

Fran

almer
07-05-2003, 12:19 PM
Tom this year in our BCA playoffs,singles event,2 of the top master women players anywhere played in the advanced A singles,which is a big drop fr masters,neither one got to the money.this is pretty much the norm when they play with the men.These girls have dominated the master pool events,singles and team ,vnae and bca for the past 7 or 8 yrs.just an observation almer

stick8
07-05-2003, 10:20 PM
the women tried it In golf ha the same will hapen in most sports. stay where you belong in your on league.my opinion!!!How many men do you see trying to get in women game? [0] so leave us be. we have nothing to prove!!!STICK

Qtec
07-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Its dead simple. In pool , there are too many men around.
What do I mean?
Your average woman pool player , when faced with the money ball becomes distracted . Things like , "does my hair look good ", "I think I WILL buy that dress " and "nice drapes " keep coming into her head .If they see some handsom guy ,pool becomes secondary.
When the chips are down its the ," its only a game" attitude.

The 'boob'problem is also a limiting factor

No offence , Ladies , but thats the way it is .

Q

Hopster
07-05-2003, 11:33 PM
Its dead simple. In pool , there are too many men around.
What do I mean?
Your average woman pool player , when faced with the money ball becomes distracted . Things like , "does my hair look good ", "I think I WILL buy that dress " and "nice drapes " keep coming into her head .If they see some handsom guy ,pool becomes secondary.
When the chips are down its the ," its only a game" attitude.

No offence , Ladies , but thats the way it is . &lt;--Qtec

Q, i got a strong feeling you just endeared yourself to all the women posters here. lol

Qtec
07-05-2003, 11:52 PM
Hopster, I aim to please. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

bigbro6060
07-06-2003, 12:18 AM
In Snooker and English 8 Ball, the top women don't even come close to the top men! not even the same ballpark, not even the same city, barely the same world

No doubt that the much larger participation numbers have something to do with it but i think in any discipline in the world whether physical, mental or both, save for childbirth, PMS and breast feeding, men will be at the top /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hopster
07-06-2003, 01:39 AM
Hopster, I aim to please. &lt;--Qtec

I hear ya but i just hope you dont sprout that kind of stuff too often. One of the ladies might take a bat to your melon and you wont be aiming at nothing for a while. lolol

cuechick
07-06-2003, 12:03 PM
If by "boob problem" you mean the number of Boobs-slash-idiots out there who have a 'hard time' playing women, then yes, it can be a problem, though I tend to enjoy that challenge all the more.
And though I think the jury is still out on how the very top women might compete (I don't think Karen Corr losing 8-9 to Bustamante recently was a fluke)
On the lower levels, where I assume the majority of the men on this board reside, IMO, all things being equal, I am sure most of the women on this board could give you more than a little trouble at the table.
My point being, I have been in leagues for many years and have beaten MORE than my fair share of men, who play at my level. I have won two MVP's as a level 5 and have only lost 3 matches in two and 1/2 seasons as a 6. So BRING IT ON!!
I have also captained 2 women's master level teams and know what these women can do. YES, there are MANY more male players that play better, because there are MANY MORE MALE PLAYERS.

bluewolf
07-06-2003, 12:32 PM
tap tap

wont say more,i already blew up on this once, you were much nicer

bw---&gt;pool battle of sexes=women/men 6-6

bluewolf
07-06-2003, 12:47 PM
WOW. Only childbirth, pms, and breastfeeding can women be at the top? Well that gives me a big fat goose egg since I can do none of the above.

And gosh bigbro, to think all this time that I thought you thought highly of me and you were my friend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just to say that you have totally blown me away with your post. Just did not think that you perceived me as totally incompetent and unable to achieve at the highest levels in anything.

I do not know if the attitude has anything to do with your continent vs mine. Here, women do well in fields like law, medicine, etc that were traditionally male 50 years ago. Also men are nurses and elementary teachers (years ago fiels woman went into). This is happening more and more.They all are getting freed here of the boxes society once tried to put them in.

Intelligence is equal. Men have an advantage in sports requiring muscles. Otherwize, in north america, the sexes have been evolving towards equality for 50 years.

Many more are believing that women can equal men as pool players too.

As a child, I competed with men, not women. A funny thing I have discovered. I have a connective tissue thing that allows my body to do things a body is not supposed to do. From the time I was a child, I was more flexible and very coordinated. I liked competing with men. It was fun. I liked playing rough like jumping off of high places and playing football and had a very high tolerance to pain. There are others like me in my continent. I do not know about yours, but your response was very much of a surprise to me.

Laura

rackmup
07-06-2003, 01:09 PM
I think it's all very sexist and being someone who is very sensitive to the feelings of others, I will choose to refrain from comment and will not be goaded or tricked into responding to something that might hurt another fellow pool player's feelings.

It is this type of post content that breeds hate and misunderstanding between all of us and I will personally have no part of it and humbly ask that this thread be deleted by the CCB Administrative staff and that 9BG be punished for her part in attempting to lure people into this type of sordid commentary.

She should be ashamed.

Regards,

Ken (yeah...right...and I volunteer to punish 9BG with a spanking)

bluewolf
07-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Ken,

I have only been in pool forums for less than a year and this topic has come up quite a few times. I think at first, the men talked about it and most of the women stayed out of this discussion.

I applaud those women who can stay neutral and not be bothered by some of the opinions posted here. Many men here in this thread this time have been kind and supportive.It is the ugh ugh cavemen opinions that I am talking about, not the supportive ones.

Even if you are teasing a little, one thing is sure, tearing down the other sex does not help anyone. It certainly creates strong emotional feelings that are not in any way beneficial to the sport. Thanks ken for you support, even if you were teasing,

Laura

Qtec
07-06-2003, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And though I think the jury is still out on how the very top women might compete (I don't think Karen Corr losing 8-9 to Bustamante recently was a fluke)

<font color="blue"> If they had played just one rack , maybe she would have won ! Before you can make a proper comparison you can better play BO 99. I dont think then it would be so close . </font color>

On the lower levels, where I assume the majority of the men on this board reside,
<font color="blue"> How dare you cast aspersions on the quality of play of my fellow male CBers! </font color>
IMO, all things being equal, I am sure most of the women on this board could give you more than a little trouble at the table <hr /></blockquote>

Not in this lifetime , Doll! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think it goes without saying that the guys on the forum would kick the as----s of the CBers of the female gender .

Its a mental thing . Woman who play men are always more prepared to lose than if they play another woman . And were not talking about the lowest levels.

Q

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2003, 04:37 PM
"but I'm witness to the fact that good technique trumps power any day."

Amen. I've been saying that since Alison became scrutinized for her less than optimal break back when she joined our US pro tour. The lady was sinking a ball or two and keeping control of the rock very well in those first years, and was at the top of the heap after the dust settled. IMO she'd be better off to return to that moderate speed on the break, especially since the Sardo has emerged. There's been a general slow down in most of all the pro ladies with the Sardo, but as I see it today, the exact replication of Alison's initial break years back is still in mothballs, and that break was about as consistent in making a ball and getting shape as any I've ever seen.

On the subject of the dominence of the men over the women, well if the WPBA would not shy away from playing in such an event(a real, head to head, parallel-ranked men vs women event), we'd have the answer once and for all. Thing is, the ladies aren't going to risk it, that's just the way it is. I relish the opportunity to see this event take place, I absolutely do! I ain't holding my breath over it though...sid

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2003, 05:01 PM
"being someone who is very sensitive to the feelings of others, I will choose to refrain from comment and will not be goaded or tricked into responding to something that might hurt another fellow pool player's feelings."

Somebody look in the trunk of Ken's car...there's gotta be a seed pod in there ;-) sid

rackmup
07-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Hi Sid...how are you doing?

I'm fine...it was just one of my rare and politer moments. I'll be back to my old controversial self soon.

Regards,

Ken (I can jump that...)

Rod
07-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Your asking a lot of tough questions here Wendy. Why is it thought that way? Well it depends on who is doing the thinking and who is doing the shooting. I wasn't even aware there was a battle going on. Just BD stirring up a little controversy, much like your post. I think if you ask a pool player with a professional attitude, they'll say they played another good pool player. They will refer to him or her, but nothing more in most cases. When it becomes a sexist attitude then the comments in poor taste start happening.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
07-06-2003, 05:39 PM
"(I can jump that...)"

Ken...I've been having lots of fun with the jump shot. I want to show you a layout that I hit with the jump shot, not a game situation but demonstating the shot to somebody just for grins. Mind you I have never tried this before that day and I only hit the shot twice and quit while I was ahead.

START(
%As1Z6%BS9O9%Cr7S4%Em5H9%Fo0J1%Hl2G2%Ir6P1%Pp4F9%W m9W8%XR4D1
%YQ4D3%ZC3O5%[D2P4%\Q5[4%eB4`5%bR3[1%cc5L9%do9G2
)END

My first attempt(using more center ball on the CB @ jump stroke, ended like this:

START(
%As1Z6%BS9O9%Cr7S4%Em5H9%Fo0J1%Hl2G2%Ir6P1%Pm2W4%W m9W8%XR4D1
%YQ4D3%ZC3O5%[D2P4%\Q5[4%eB4`8%bR3[1%cc5L9%do9G2
)END

Second one hit the money, having to add more follow on the CB:

START(
%At0[9%BS9O9%Cr7S4%Em5H9%Fo0J1%Hl2G2%Ir6P1%Ps0Z0%Wm9W8% XR4D1
%YQ4D3%ZC3O5%[D2P4%\Q5[4%eB7`4%bR3[1%cc5L9%do9G2
)END

No brag, just a fun fact. Would it ever come in handy? Probably not, but I was pleasantly surprise to see the results of the only 2 attempts of a jump-3-railer I'd ever tried..sid

TomBrooklyn
07-06-2003, 06:06 PM
What's wrong with differentiating between the sexes? Males and females are not the same. They have huge physical and mental differences. To pretend otherwise is so inaccurate that it verges on sillyness. =TB

Rod
07-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Tom,
I never said there was anything wrong with differentiating between the sexes. Of course their different. I said they will/can refer to them as he or she as in normal everyday life. My point was the unprofessional sexist attitude that starts arguements. Such comments has happened in this thread and about every thread like this. No fault on Wendy's part for asking, she was curious. I doubt she or any other women wanted to hear stay home and breast feed!

Rod

TomBrooklyn
07-06-2003, 07:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I doubt she or any other women wanted to hear stay home and breast feed!<hr /></blockquote>I meant my comment to be in reply to several of the posts, Rod, not just yours, that seem to propone that men and women are the same or have equal stengths and skills. The simple fact is that women are superior to men in some regards and inferior to them in others. Also, I believe most women at some point in their lives would like nothing more than to find a suitable mate, have a child, stay home and breast feed it. That would be perfectly normal. =Tom

pooltchr
07-07-2003, 06:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
Your average woman pool player , when faced with the money ball becomes distracted . If they see some handsom guy ,pool becomes secondary.

No offence , Ladies , but thats the way it is .

Q <hr /></blockquote>
I would suggest that the distraction level for most guys is just as great when a female walks in to a room with a short skirt or low cut top. As for the "boob factor", I have seen a few guys with a "beer belly problem" that would far exceed any problems most females might run into. I think you will have to find a better arguement than this.

9 Ball Girl
07-07-2003, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> (yeah...right...and I volunteer to punish 9BG with a spanking) <hr /></blockquote>Well! How Marquis de Sade is that?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Besides, Kato has first dibs.

I'm actually surprised at some of the responses. Not yours though. http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/splitform.gif

RedHell
07-07-2003, 08:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I just got through reading the article of the "Battle of the Sexes" in this month's BD mag. Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is it thought that the men are better than the women? It can't be a physical thing since pool doesn't require physical strength the way say boxing or wrestling would. Pool is all mental and experience, no? Yeah you have some of the guys that are better than the women, but I think some of the women are better than some of those guys, don't you think? Doesn't it just all boil down to experience, practice time, and mental strength? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

All right here is my 2 cents on this very interesting subject...

"...why is it thought that the men are better than the women?"

I see different ways of understanding this statement. First, we might be simply looking at 2 group of different players (women vs men) with a group having better players. What I mean is, forget the sexes, just look at the players and their abilities and the Efren, Bustamante, Strickland etc. group is the better group.

The other way of looking at this, is to clearly state that women, not the group of individual but the gender, aren't able to compete with men... Now this one is a lot more touchy. I think we have to look at what makes the best pool player. Like Wendy stated: "...Pool is all mental and experience..."; Yes and no... (gotta love these... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Here are the qualities I belive make a great pool player.

- Dexterity, goes without saying that you need it. Question arise, are men wired in a better way than women to reach a higher level of dexterity ?

- Creativity, you need to be creative to run racks and get out of trouble. A player that only repeat what he knows will never become the best !

- Space management, this is the best expression I found, what I mean by this is the ability to visualize paterns, paths and run-outs. This isn't only aquired, some players have the ability to understand ball movement without effort.

- Mental strenght, this one goes without saying. Pool must remain a emotionless game. When you get rattled, you're pushing balls, you're not shooting them.

- Physical strenght ??? That's the funny one. Thou, pool doesn't required Hulk-a-like strenght, you need to be in a decent shape and have a certain stamina to go thru 3 days of tournement with long hours. Plus for PRO players, the constant traveling must add to the stress the body takes.

This has, in no way, the pretention of been the ultimate list, you can add up if you like, but I think it covers it pretty much. So now we should look at why and why not a man or a woman can aquire this qualities....

BTW, I left out practice because this is not a quality, anybody can practice as long as they have the discipline.... Maybe I should have listed discipline /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif !!!!

Kato
07-07-2003, 09:01 AM
First dibs, FIRST DIBS!!!!!!!http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/wink/thumb.gif

Kato~~~dibs first asks questions later. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
07-07-2003, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest that the distraction level for most guys is just as great when a female walks in to a room with a short skirt or low cut top. As for the "boob factor", I have seen a few guys with a "beer belly problem" that would far exceed any problems most females might run into. I think you will have to find a better arguement than this.
<hr /></blockquote>

When I was in London , the top snookerplayers [youngsters] were 100% into snooker . They lived and breathed the game . There was nothing else that was important to them . Being on a table was all that it was about.Very few women have this backround. To play at the top you also need to be mentally tough .Guys just have a natural advantage over women . They are better intimidators.

The boob comment was a half joke. Sometimes it can be a problem if they are too big .
I would agree that the beer belly problem in men is a real one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

nhp
07-12-2003, 05:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drake:</font><hr> Any touring Pro will tell you that 9 ball has A LOT to do with how well you break. It's well know that Busty and Archer Break close to 30. The women can usually lack in the break department. Maybe a game of One pocket would be more evenly matched. <hr /></blockquote>
Not a chance. One-pocket skills takes years to develop.
I doubt if any woman has any patience for that game. If there was one, she'd make a ton of money since nobody thinks a woman plays one-pocket. Jenny Lee is the only player I know who plays some one-hole.
Let's face it. One-pocket is a gambler's game now. How many women gamble nowadays? <hr /></blockquote>

When you say Jenny Lee do you mean Jeanette Lee, or someone else?

NBC-BOB
07-18-2003, 12:33 PM
A few year's ago, one of the sports magazines did a medical study of the difference between men and women when playing sports.They measured all sorts of chemical level's and came up with some interesting results.In men the testerone levels increased when they were playing well and decreased when they were not playing as well.I don't remember the complete article, but it would help explain why when we think of a game of touch and finesse we still see such a difference between the sexes.Maybe someday science will answer that question for all of us.